yet another boring helmet thread

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
hubgearfreak

yet another boring helmet thread

Post by hubgearfreak »

so in this forum, there's people (group A) who have read reports and have come to the conclusion that helmets are pointless & couterproductive and are consequently dead set against compulsion

then there's others (group B) who've fell off/been knocked off their bike and found that their helmet is smashed in and have come to the conclusion that their head would have been smashed in had they not had their helmet on and think helemets are a good thing

we from both groups can (and do) keep putting the same points across repeatedly.

however, there is a third group of people (group C) who have yet to decide. they'd like to hear both points of view and come to their own conclusion. this group when they start their search for relavant data and opinions may well find themselves on the CTC website and forum, to see what conclusions those who've considered it have arrived at and why.

so, those in either group A or group B need to keep typing repetatively if their beliefs/conclusions are not going to be drowned out by the beliefs/conclusions of the other group who are wrong, for the benefit of group C

so what about a truce?
what about both sides ceasing to type?
what about locking all existing thread and the helmet subsection? - there's plenty of material in the archives to be read by those in group C if they wish to do so
yakdiver

Re: yet another boring helmet thread

Post by yakdiver »

A group - people who make up excuses not to wear one
B group – people that know it makes sense to wear one
C group - who've fell off/been knocked off their bike and found that their helmet is smashed
D group - who have yet to decide
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

Group H - those who need somewhere to put their helmet camera.
meic

Post by meic »

Well Hubgearfreak, you lost that one at the first reply. :lol:

I would reckon as a member of group C that group A and B both think that all people not in their group are therfore in the other group.

Even in your question you just dismiss those of us in group C as people who havent yet decided which of the two other groups to join!

Then finally the people in groups A and B will not see themselves as extremists and will claim that they are actually in group C.
Yma o Hyd
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Group Y - Those who choose to wear a helmet based on which cycle they are on and/or which journey/activity they are undertaking.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Group X: those people who are not too concerned about the outcome (as long as it doesn't involve compulsion) but who enjoy a good debate and look forward to reading yet another spat on the forum instead of getting on with what they should be doing :D .
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Group Z.
People who are tired of the endless debate.

SHUT UP.
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

"Shut up" now and then after you get compulsion, people will ask why didnt you speak up before hand.
After all you had your own little secret corner which people could avoid if they were not interested in the subject.
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Discussing helmets on here is not going to make any difference to anything.

I wear a helmet because I want to, same as I wear strong boots in the garden. I could be in bare feet, but it I stand on something it hurts. If I bang my head, it hurts, so I wear a helmet.

I have no idea whether it's a good thing or its a bad thing, but I've made my mind up.

I'll shut up now, and I suggest we all do too, coz I'm bored with it.
Mick F. Cornwall
irc

Post by irc »

Group I - who while accepting a helmet provides some protection think there is no need to wear a helmet for a safe actvity like cycling when I don't wear one for other activities with similar or higher danger levels like walking, running, hillwalking, DIY. and so on.

When helmets might save, at most, a dozen or so lives a year why talk about a law when other legal activities like drinking or smoking are responsible for countless deaths, assaults, illness, and injuries but nobody suggests a ban?
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
meic

Post by meic »

Mick F wrote:Discussing helmets on here is not going to make any difference to anything.

I wear a helmet because I want to, same as I wear strong boots in the garden. I could be in bare feet, but it I stand on something it hurts. If I bang my head, it hurts, so I wear a helmet.

I have no idea whether it's a good thing or its a bad thing, but I've made my mind up.

I'll shut up now, and I suggest we all do too, coz I'm bored with it.

Lucky for you that you made the "right" choice. If you had however chosen not to wear a helmet you could have to make your mind up again the other way when it gets made compulsory.

Also according to your posting you have made the choice to wear a helmet to protect your head, which logically is at all times, not just whilst on a bike.
Yma o Hyd
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

yakdiver wrote:A group - people who make up excuses not to wear one
B group – people that know it makes sense to wear one

you're definitely in group B :lol:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Mick F wrote:Group Z.People who are tired of the endless debate. SHUT UP.

your other reply shows that you're clearly in group B, one of the it's common sense in't it ? brigade
real group Z folks wouldn't even be reading this :wink:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

meic wrote:Then finally the people in groups A and B will not see themselves as extremists and will claim that they are actually in group C.

not at all. there's some that are so convinced of the benefits that they think everyone should always have one (atleast when cycling, if not when negotiating stairs, getting in the bath & etc.) the real group B

then there's me, who thinks that to wear one makes an everyday and safe activity appear more dangerous than it actually is. i believe that this will discourage cycling, and as a contributor to public health, reducing finite fuel use, reducing pollution and reducing congestion, cycling is too important to risk discouring it. to discourage cycling is a bad thing. the real group A - and i can't be the only one am i?

the rest are group C
Last edited by hubgearfreak on 14 Jan 2011, 5:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

irc wrote:Group I - who while accepting a helmet provides some protection think there is no need to wear a helmet for a safe actvity like cycling when I don't wear one for other activities with similar or higher danger levels like walking, running, hillwalking, DIY. and so on.

you're group A 8)