togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GrahamNR17

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by GrahamNR17 »

That mechanism looks in fabulous nick, Mike :shock: Should run for years and years 8)
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

I'm seeking suggestions for bells with a proper rinnnng rinnnng, not a feeble ping :D

For serious "you're reversing into my path, stinking car!" I have ordered an AirZound due to an on-going serious of incidents with a particular motorist locally, backed by an old metal pump that I've filled with old ball bearings for added "thwack" :twisted:

Anyway, the bells must be shiny, obviously, and with no black plastic bits. I do have a few old bells that will be refurbed in due course, but none of my bikes have a bell at all, so I need something nice and new so I can buy one for each of the treaders.

Suggestions welcomed 8)
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

I heard somewhere recently (dare I say?) Halfords do one:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 10161#dtab

The customer review says -

"This is a big, shiny bell with a really loud ring. Great choice."
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

corshamjim wrote:I heard somewhere recently (dare I say?) Halfords do one:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 10161#dtab

The customer review says -

"This is a big, shiny bell with a really loud ring. Great choice."

Well spotted, hadn't even considered 'alfords. Looking at the pic, the black rubber handle is just a cover, that that would do the trick :D
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:I'm seeking suggestions for bells with a proper rinnnng rinnnng, not a feeble ping :D

there's three types of beels as far as i can see;
1. the type that pings. it's advantage is weight, for racers
2. the type with flying washers, that are so cheaply made these days they only last a few months. may be suitable for children so thay can change their allegiance from ben10 to mickey mouse, or whatever
3. a proper gentleman's bell with a horizontal clapper, that's well made in the uk dacdes ago. unfortunately, greybeard forsaw a world shortage of this type and has most of what remains :lol:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:I'm seeking suggestions for bells with a proper rinnnng rinnnng, not a feeble ping :D

3. a proper gentleman's bell with a horizontal clapper, that's well made in the uk dacdes ago. unfortunately, greybeard forsaw a world shortage of this type and has most of what remains :lol:

That is the very best kind. I have two, one of which needs a return spring to make it function. The other I will refurb for eventual use this summer.

Thanks to Greybeard, getting others is proving to be a schlepp :evil:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

1.ping
2.bring bring
3.ding dong
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:That is the very best kind. I have two

neither in use? you're not helping then are you? :P
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

hubgearfreak wrote:greybeard forsaw a world shortage of this type and has most of what remains :lol:

Did someone just tug my clapper? :roll: I've since found some other get-out-of-my-way devices more suited to the Rudge's antiquity. But you'll have to wait until June for them to be revealed :wink:

Steve
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:
hubgearfreak wrote:greybeard forsaw a world shortage of this type and has most of what remains :lol:

Did someone just tug my clapper? :roll: I've since found some other get-out-of-my-way devices more suited to the Rudge's antiquity. But you'll have to wait until June for them to be revealed :wink:

Steve

You can't do that, it's not cricket :shock:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:That is the very best kind. I have two

neither in use? you're not helping then are you? :P

I'm waiting for the warmer weather to get out in the garage to make them work, de-rust etc :|
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

Inspired by Greybeard's splendid example of roadside teamaking on the Togglechain tour I now see that making a brew is part of the normal cycling experience. I had remained blissfully unaware of just what finely honed skills are required until I had a go at the weekend. My first mistake was to choose a blustery day which included lots of rain. All the places with decent views were far too exposed to light a match, let alone my stove. There was nowhere dry to sit. I thought brewing up in a bus shelter would be cheating, and as it was wooden I didn't want to foot the bill if I burnt it down. A sheltered verge was found and I set about my task.
brew up 1.jpg

The stove seemed very sensitive to the wind and as I hadn't got a windshield I put my hands as close to it as I dared. There was an inordinately long gap between the first and second pictures.
brew up 2.jpg

Also the mug of tea tasted really third rate. I presume this must be due to i) using a tea bag, ii) adding the milk second, and iii) making the tea in a plastic mug. Much more work needed here....
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Well done for at least trying :mrgreen:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

steve browne wrote:Also the mug of tea tasted really third rate. I presume this must be due to i) using a tea bag, ii) adding the milk second, and iii) making the tea in a plastic mug. Much more work needed here....

Dear oh dear(shakes head in disbelief) :?

Teabags are allowed so long as they're Yorkshire teabags :) (I know, but they do make somethings well)
On no account should you pollute tea with milk! :(

The worst crime of all is the use of anything plastic to drink out of, it simple won't do :cry:

PS Nice stove BTW,but I suspect not shiney enough for Steve :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Have I inadvertently started another trend? First it was Christine, now brewing up :shock:
I can see the price of stoves and Brasso rocketting before long , accompanied by an increased rate of global warming, especially in picturesque, rural areas :roll:
Perhaps June 2011 will see the inception of the Tea Cup Tour :lol:

I wonder how long it'll be before we see an outbreak of oil and carbide lamps :wink:

Steve (wot introduces fashionable pursuits to the world)