togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GrahamNR17

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:Don't include me in your dirty little secret pastime :x ... I just happen to own a Primus #210, that's all.

let's see a photo of it then, in it's tarnished & unloved state :wink:

No, it's far too tarnished and unkempt to warrant a photo Image
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I fell over on the ice today and think I've cracked a rib,so please don't put anymore of those excellent emoticons on for the moment Graham! :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

reohn2 wrote:I fell over on the ice today and think I've cracked a rib,so please don't put anymore of those excellent emoticons on for the moment Graham! :D

Ok, I promise. Hope your rib recovers soon Image
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

GrahamNR17 wrote:it's far too tarnished and unkempt to warrant a photo

prove it :P
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:it's far too tarnished and unkempt to warrant a photo

prove it :P

Well, I can't can I? It's too unkempt so I didn't take a photo Image

Anyway, shuddup Image
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

Brasso on his anorak! sounds like a euphemism for some rather sad personal deficiency.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

The bells have started to roll in. The Halfords one isn't bad, though I suspect the chrome won't last long. Picked up a few interesting looking old Chinese ones on fleabay etc that are copies of old Adie's etc. I think I'll put a little varnish over the chrome before fitting though, or a regular wipe over with oil or car wax. I feel I'm about to put on a "bell anorak" :mrgreen:

Graham wot can hear the bells :shock:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

I think I'll need a bottle of Bells tomorrow evening - I'm going to attempt reassembly of my XL-RD5(W) tomorrow. I have tub of grease, a new pair of circlip pliers and a circlip to replace the one I bent, so I'm all tooled-up and ready to go! Er. Or something like that.

On another topic I've been looking to buy a bike for longer rides at a faster pace than I can do on the Pashley. Is the Shimano Alfine 8 generally considered to be robust and reliable? If so I should have plenty to choose from (I've bookmarked quite a few).

I don't want to stretch to (or wait for) an Alfine 11 and definitely can't afford a Rohloff.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

corshamjim wrote:On another topic I've been looking to buy a bike for longer rides at a faster pace than I can do on the Pashley. Is the Shimano Alfine 8 generally considered to be robust and reliable? If so I should have plenty to choose from (I've bookmarked quite a few).

You have to be a tad careful with the Alfine. They had a reputation for water ingress and rusting up really badly. Shimano did fix the problem more recently, but you have to be careful. I'm not sure how you tell which is which.

The Nexus, however, has had no such problems reported and has pretty much become the 'standard' hub fitted to Dutch utility bikes which spend most of their lives outdoors.

Good luck with greasing-up ya wossname at the weekend :D
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Thanks Graham. There are a few nice Nexus bikes around. I hope to buy from one of my (two) local bike shops so that narrows it down to the Trek Soho or the Kona Dr Good . It looks like the Trek has rack mounts front & rear so should do the job nicely.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

corshamjim wrote:that narrows it down to the Trek Soho

I read a review only today on the Trek Soho (in last August's copy of cycle active) - it came out tops for comfort/quality etc. Looks like an eminently sensible machine, with proper mudguards and rack mounts front and rear, it's one that I'd certainly consider as an all-weather bike were I in the market for a replacement commuter. Roller brakes and a belt drive sound like low maintenance features. I also liked the vintage colour scheme (oh dear, was that my feminine side on show there :oops:)
The only thing they cribbed about was it's weight - but real cyclists, living in the real world can disregard that anyway. Once fully loaded, whose counting an extra pound on the weight of the frame anyway?

Steve
rjb

Post by rjb »

Here's a new hobby for you roadside brewers. Couple of coke cans.
click to enlarge
click to enlarge
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

rjb. it's nice, but just doesn't appeal to me.

it looks a bit lighweight
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

hubgearfreak wrote:rjb. it's nice, but just doesn't appeal to me.

You could make one with beer cans, Tim :wink: I KNOW that will appeal

Steve
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

rjb wrote:Here's a new hobby for you roadside brewers. Couple of coke cans.
Coke can stove.JPG

Coke cans? Are you serious? :shock: