What's your activity hinterland?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jonty

What's your activity hinterland?

Post by Jonty »

What other activities or sports do members engage in as well as cycling? These days I swim a bit, do short walks and weight-train twice a week as well as cycling. Occasionally I go trout fishing.
In the past I ran, played squash, went hill walking and a bit of climbing, played badminton and occasionally tennis, canoed a bit, and went wildfowling
although not all at the same time. I also did a bit of boxing.
The activities I miss most are hill walking and running.
jonty
Jonty

Re: What's your activity hinterland?

Post by Jonty »

I forgot about my allotment!
jonty
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I walk, mostly around the village these days. Yesterday I went out for the first time since August without crutches. Yippee!

But motorists now see me as a fair target for close shaves. Boo. (My village doesn't have pavements.)
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I venture forth underground in the old mines up at Alderley Edge. I've been "Ferritin" arround down there for nearly 20 years

me about 2003 about to abseil 70 ft down No1 shaft
me about 2003 about to abseil 70 ft down No1 shaft

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

ferrit worrier wrote:I venture forth underground in the old mines up at Alderley Edge. I've been "Ferritin" arround down there for nearly 20 years

number one shaft.JPG

Malc

I couldn't do that: slightly claustrophobic. That's why I like hill walking, running, cycling.
jonty
glueman

Post by glueman »

Say hello to the Wizard but watch out for the morthbrood while you're down there.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Walking to the pub, driving the community bus, sitting and typing on my laptop, cooking, opening wine bottles, turning the key to start the car, feeding the cat ............

Logging, collecting logs and wood for the fire, clearing the jungle that is our garden, DIY .........
Mick F. Cornwall
groveller

Post by groveller »

[quote="Mick F"]Walking to the pub, driving the community bus, sitting and typing on my laptop, cooking, opening wine bottles, turning the key to start the car, feeding the cat ............

Logging, collecting logs and wood for the fire, clearing the jungle that is our garden, DIY .........[/quote]
Squashing wet newspaper? :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

and artistic leaf creations :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

glueman wrote:Say hello to the Wizard but watch out for the morthbrood while you're down there.

Can't quite remember was that the "Wierd stone of Brisingamen, or The moon of Gomrath"? :lol:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

A bit of golf. Dabbling with painting. Allotment. Designing and making things. Managing and driving the Community Bus. Walking the Chilterns with the Mrs who doesn't cycle. Tinkering with Classic car and organising our village 'shed' club.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

sea kayaking, cycling,snorkelling and fishing
groveller

Post by groveller »

Used to x c ski, a fair bit of paragliding and a lot of running, until (a lack of money) and a back problem put paid to some activities.
But thankfully I can still ride the bike :D
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

In my late 30s I reserved cycling for my daily commutes and most weekends used to visit local "gatherings of 100+ people, at which amplified music was played ('wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats"), for several hours of power aerobics. I was 5 stone lighter and stupidly fit back then ...

In the 10 years since my 40th birthday I've only attended such events a couple of times and found they were no longer to my taste.

I can't do "exercise" per se. My ideal arrangement would be to have the option of alternating cycling to work, with swimming there - sadly that's not an option for geographic reasons. :(
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I'm impressed. What an active, interesting and community-minded lot you all are!
jonty :)