Jogle, what to take???

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
mr riff raff

Re: Jogle, what to take???

Post by mr riff raff »

ferrit worrier wrote:Here's one space saver that I've just come accross. I've just finished a bottle of "Finish line" chain lube I was about to bin it when I thought about cleaning it out, (pull the nozel out with a pair of pliers) and filling it with shower gel, you dont need a big bottle of the stuff just enough to get you through. Pull the label off and then you don't get mixed up. Should be just about right.

Just "borrow" a bottle from the 1st place you stop at. Unless you're camping, in which case nobody will care if you smell or not!
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't worry too much about the weight. Just make sure it's carried properly. Don't load yourself, use decent panniers front and back to balance the bike properly. Better still, use a trailer!

If I can ride a 40lb monster of a Raleigh Chopper whilst hauling an equally heavy trailer, it's no problem. I took everything with me, including a movie camera and a laptop, plus all the chargers and cables. I had foul weather gear, extra layers, changes of socks and shorts and tops, maps and stuff and everything including the kitchen sink.

I'm no athlete, I'm overweight, I'm in my late 50s. If I can do it on that thing, anyone can ride it on a half-decent decent bike.
Mick F. Cornwall
Lusting my Pinnarello

Post by Lusting my Pinnarello »

the general rule is, pack your bags with everything you need. then chuck half of it away.

youll also need your bike :wink: (but thats being silly)
Proud Owner of a Koga Miyata Signature with Rohloff. Yum
Car drivers... Some good, some bad, and some ugly.
End 2 End 2007, 2009
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nice to see you back, Lusty!

Yes, don't take what you don't need, but don't worry too much about it.
It's only weight, it only slows you down, it won't stop you.
Mick F. Cornwall
keviboy

Post by keviboy »

My advice is 3 tops, 3 shorts/trousers and 3 pairs socks. (1 to wear, 1 drying, 1 just in case.) 1 pair mitts and 1 pair waterproof gloves (Sealskin Ultragrip are good). 1 waterproof jacket, 1 base layer, 1 pair cycling shoes, 1 pair overshoes. Helmet and skullcap (to keep your head dry in a downpour you are bound to have if you don't take it!) A light weight change of clothing for the evenings. I also took rainlegs to ward off the rain. Don't underestimate how cold it could be even in July. I went in May and Altnaharra was -6C overnight. I needed all the winter clothing I had with me including a buff that I only took as an anti-midge device. Minimise your washbag. Take a small soap or shower gel as you can easily shave with either of these if you need to. I took wash leaves or concentrated wash to rinse through clothes at the end of the days riding. Invarably with good wringing and hanging clothes over radiators they were dry by morning. Landladies often pride themselves in doing the washing for you. Don't dissappoint them. I took tools and some spares. Power links can be a life saver and I also took gear and brake inners because they are light and could get us out of trouble. I didn't take spokes because I figured that if things got that bad I'd need some sort of professional help anyway. I'd recommend cleaning the chain with babywipes or similar and lubing every day as preventative maintenance.Toal weight of my bag/panniers was 9 kg.
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

I posted a kit list for a jogle a while ago. There is lots of advice underneath and as I can't find my final kit list you might wan't to look at this thread and the advice. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=34478
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.