Cylist killed on the A 38

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
aide555

Re: Cylist killed on the A 38

Post by aide555 »

I go along with everything Richard F says. I wouldn't cycle down the A38. In fact it's got a bad reputation for "normal" road accidents, and Burton is a very poor place to cycle (and I love the town).

I never knew Patrick Kenny but looking at the list of his achievements I wished I did, my thoughts are with his family
enigmatic

Post by enigmatic »

eileithyia wrote:RIP, Pat this is sad news coming on top of the fatalities we have had so far this year.

Yes this is the road used as the K16 time trial course. Back in the 80's we time trialled on it regularly, then there was a fatality by Bassets' pole (cyclist crossed the road prior to the start of a 50), then sadly Fliss Beard (trike record breaker) was killed on the main stretch that was regularly used for the shorter events.
After this the course was no longer used. It has been re-instated of recent years as since the opening/redesigning of the A50 the A38 is a much quieter road.
Having raced on it several times in the past 3-4 seasons I could not describe it as a 2 lane motorway, there is often very little traffic on it. Having said that I believe this is more dangerous than a busy road. I believe there is an attitude that it is quiet so no need to take as much care....!

The Bassett's Pole death was John Furniss. As you say, he was trying to cross the Armco to get to the timekeeper (who may even have been Pat). Not the best idea, but still a great tragedy. The slip where Pat was killed is opposite the slip where Janet Kelly was killed many years ago in a '25'. It's not the roads that are dangerous per se, it's the care drivers (and cyclists) take (or don't take) which causes the problems. Long slip roads may help oncoming traffic merge with fast-moving stuff on the main drag, or leave safely before it decelerates, but are a nightmare for slower moving vehicles, car/van/lorry drivers just don't look in the right place and don't even think of two-wheeled traffic - especially bikes. Friday afternoon is especially busy between Lichfield and Derby and the road is relatively narrow but, as eileithyia says, at other times the traffic can be quite light. I've spent many hours trying to go fast on the A38, and some other roads like it, but I wouldn't ride any of them now, unless there was no other choice.

Another cyclist was killed yesterday afternoon between Abergavenny and Raglan, on the old A40 (not the dual carriageway). Not a happy month at all. Ride safe, all, and keep listening as well as looking.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A sad month indeed.
But have we had more than average number of deaths or are we just far more aware of those that have happened because of the faster speed that internet news gets around.

For example it is unlikely I would have known about the boxer and the cambridgeshire cyclist at all unless they were broadcast nationally on the news.
There have been 2 members of audax killed and again I would not have known of these without the internet, until the next Arrivee.
Also the cyclist on the A40 I would have been unlikely to hear about.
Probably the only I would have known about would have been young Lewis.

RIP to all those who have been so tragically killed sofar this year.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

sad month indeed.
But have we had more than average number of deaths or are we just far more aware of those that have happened because of the faster speed that internet news gets around

Given a hundred or so cylists are killed each year, that equals about 8 or so a month, or one every 3-4 days, I suspect that January isn't that statistically unusual.
enigmatic

Post by enigmatic »

Yes, I agree, the speed of communication these days is much faster and the coverage much greater than a few years ago. Unfortunately so also is the speed with which some folk are ready to post adverse or unsubstantiated comments (no finger pointing at anyone here, I hasten to add). Best to keep to the facts and respect the grief of all those concerned. I would certainly have heard about Pat but doubt I'd have heard of the others unless or until I'd read about them in a printed publication at a later date.

The Abergavenny rider was Edwin Bond, if anyone knows him.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

enigmatic wrote:...Best to keep to the facts and respect the grief of all those concerned. ....
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Maybe in one respect the fact that the news is more accessible and goes much further than the region where the incident occured is a good thing.
It brings it to home for more people, not just cyclists but those who are driving too. If even just one person gives a little more thought about how they drive around us because of reading or hearing someone else talk about these tragedies then it must be a small positive?
Last edited by Tonyf33 on 25 Jan 2011, 9:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

As the weather early in January was very poor, and as I would imagine that fewer people cycle this time of year than in the summer even when the weather is normal, it seems to me that this has in fact been a particularly dreadful month.
Condolences to all concerned. Every one of these sad fatalities will affect a great many people as well as close family and friends.
a_spanner_short

Post by a_spanner_short »

I was very saddened to hear of the death of Mr Kenny.

He was a very familiar face as he passed through our village on his runs to and from Lichfield, I must admit he inspired me to go on longer cycle rides than I would have otherwise.

It is a horrible stretch of road, even in a car and although there is a cycle path running alongside it it is very bumpy to say the least and I'm sure a seasoned rider like Pat Kenny wouldn't have dreamt of using it, especially on a trike.

I have used the northbound Burton-Derby cycle path which is a bit more passable, but not at any great speed.

I do think it is about time drivers were educated to be more aware of other road users and to treat them with more respect.

My condolences go out to his family.
SilverBadge

Post by SilverBadge »

Flinders wrote:As the weather early in January was very poor, and as I would imagine that fewer people cycle this time of year than in the summer even when the weather is normal, it seems to me that this has in fact been a particularly dreadful month.
Condolences to all concerned. Every one of these sad fatalities will affect a great many people as well as close family and friends.
TRL PPR445 takes three years worth of cyclist fatalities and plots it all out. Winter months are around 6% of the annual toll, summer just over 10%. Main factor is more cycling in summer, though it also observes that in good weather people drive faster and quite possibly less carefully. Glaring omission in this report is that nothing is normalised, so you really don't know where the greatest risk lies. So at around 120 fatalities annually we should expect 7 in January - BBC has already reported eight barely three weeks in and those didn't include Pat Kenny.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or it is a short term demonstration of safety in numbers, Drivers assuming that noone would cycle in this weather...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

I just read in the news of the student who died of her injuries 18 months after being hit by a lorry. I think that the driver admitted not checking his mirrors. This is so sad and I feel very angry about it.