Van driver reverses over cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gilesjuk

Van driver reverses over cyclist

Post by gilesjuk »

On the Beeb, they're seeking the van driver:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sh ... e-12280220
[XAP]Bob

Re: Van driver reverses over cyclist

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Throw away the key.

Or at least the full cost of all police time used to apprehend him. If needed he can scrub dishes in hokey to earn it...

I can forgive a lesser sentence for the original accident, but failure to report ???

(unless of course he turns himself in tomorrow having read/heard the news.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

No, I would not throw away the key. If I had free choice in sentancing this low life it would be something like this:

1. Your driving licence will be torn up in front of you and you will be banned from driving any motorised vehicle for the next three years.

2. Any motor vehicle which you own will be confiscated and you will witness it being crushed.

3. You will spend a period of time in the presence of the victim that you ran over and their immediate family. You will listen while that person and their family, tells you how this experience felt, what impact it has had and how they feel about you. You will not be permitted to interrupt.

4. You will then have time to reflect on what you have done and to compose an apology, which you will say in person to your victim and in the presence of their family in a public meeting.

5. You will be required to regularly ride a bicycle, when doing so, you will wear a highly visible garment bearing a prominent notice that advertises your crime and the punishment.

6. You will make financial reperations to your victim.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Alan D wrote:No, I would not throw away the key. If I had free choice in sentancing this low life it would be something like this:

1. Your driving licence will be torn up in front of you and you will be banned from driving any motorised vehicle for the next three years.

2. Any motor vehicle which you own will be confiscated and you will witness it being crushed.

3. You will spend a period of time in the presence of the victim that you ran over and their immediate family. You will listen while that person and their family, tells you how this experience felt, what impact it has had and how they feel about you. You will not be permitted to interrupt.

4. You will then have time to reflect on what you have done and to compose an apology, which you will say in person to your victim and in the presence of their family in a public meeting.

5. You will be required to regularly ride a bicycle, when doing so, you will wear a highly visible garment bearing a prominent notice that advertises your crime and the punishment.

6. You will make financial reperations to your victim.

5) Is counter productive. Cycling is not / should not be a punishment.
To criminalise high viz could also be counter productive...

2) Is a bit harsh - especially as you may legally but not morally be the sole owner (I can't register our family car in joint names...) Besides a sale would raise some revenue for the victim up front (of course you can buy your own vehicle back at a fair market rate...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

No No no no no! You misunderstand me Bob.
The purpose of crushing the car is to deny the culprit that very thing that they prize so highly, without any possibility of them ever getting it back. For this to be doubly effective, they have to witness it.
Resale value? Yes, valid point, but how much would it fetch? As the car is crushed, so is the culprits ego, status, pride etc and that would be worth far more.
Riding a bike is not a punishment, at least not for us. But can you just imagine how the culprit must feel in having to do the very thing that he/she holds in contempt. They can now empathise with their victim and gain a profound understanding of why they should not do the thing that they did. Being scared out of his/her wits by other stupid reckless drivers is a mere 'courtesy detail' :D
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Personally I think shock tactics are needed. Can't we just drop these bad drivers in the North Sea (a good 30 miles away) and let them try to swim to shore?
mountainman531

Post by mountainman531 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:2) Is a bit harsh - especially as you may legally but not morally be the sole owner (I can't register our family car in joint names...) Besides a sale would raise some revenue for the victim up front (of course you can buy your own vehicle back at a fair market rate...

The life of the cyclist and that of his family has been changed forever so why should it be different for the culprit?
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

I can't register our family car in joint names...

All our cars are registered in joint names. You can register them to what you like. A company a partnership whatever.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

mountainman531 wrote:The life of the cyclist and that of his family has been changed forever so why should it be diferent for the culprit?

Have you read the report? It was a woman in her late teens and the injuries were minor (although no doubt the mental scarring may be more significant). The report says that the driver stopped at the scene, but failed to report the incident to the police. There is not enough information in the report to make any further judgements.