What's your activity hinterland?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: What's your activity hinterland?

Post by Mick F »

We stopped coz we were knackered!

The hardest thing for me, wasn't fitness, but the stance. When you fence right-handed (like me), you lead with the right leg. This is completely unnatural to me. Fencing stance was difficult.

Consider other sports or activities:
Boxing
Archery
Kicking a ball
Golf
Cricket
Tennis
Throwing something
Whatever you chose, your left leg leads so your right side can push/throw/kick/swing/pull/punch etc.

I've never been on a skateboard, but if I were to get on one, I reckon my left leg would be at the front.

Leading with the right leg seems left-handed to me!
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

One of my other hobbies, although sadly slightly neglected at the moment Model railways.

Turn tablew.jpg

Scratch built turntable A Dapol deck turned upside down. and motorised.

Turntablew1.jpg

The drive mechanism is from a scrap printer 12v motor abd gears, the large grey gear was made in the lathe along with tthe worm screw. Micro switches control the position, with an overide switch on the control panel.

I really must get back up in the loft and do some more work on it :(

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Sailing (and boat building) repleaced by fencing filled my life from my teens to 50 - regrettably now both abandoned due to a persitent niggly back and tennis elbow - Mick watch out for the TE it is the fencers enemy. But enjoy it - Epee particularly is as near to real sword fighting as you can get with out real risk to life and limb - I loved it.You will get the hang of the stance fairly quickly but it will take a toll on your calves to start with. Have done a bit of rowing and canoeing as well over the years.

DIY and Guitar playing and during the winter thinking about cycling, now fill the void.I am considering radio model yachting but feel a bit to young for it just yet.Being able to make the stuff on the kitchen table rather than out in a cold workshop is starting to look more appealing. Camping has been rediscovered and walking in the summer is always fun.
Si

Post by Si »

Mick F wrote:We stopped coz we were knackered!

The hardest thing for me, wasn't fitness, but the stance. When you fence right-handed (like me), you lead with the right leg. This is completely unnatural to me. Fencing stance was difficult.

I've never been on a skateboard, but if I were to get on one, I reckon my left leg would be at the front.

Leading with the right leg seems left-handed to me!

Seems natural to me, but when I started snow boarding I was told that I was left handed, when in fact I'm right handed....I must just be contrary.
PW

Post by PW »

Over the years there's been judo, aqualung diving, cricket, church bell ringing, hillwalking, stargazing, stone circles...
I was interested in model railways in my youth but never got time to do anything about it.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cycling :D ,photography,birdwatching,hillwalking,caravaning(yes I know, but but I'm not bothered) ,played rugby and cricket but thats a longtime ago.Yoga (though lapsed of late),I dabble with art occasionally (drawing,painting),used to play guitar in a band but its ten years or more since I picked it up, though I still have one.
I don't know if you'd call it activity but I meditate.
I've always had a seeky desire for archery and I like boats,I've never owned one, but fancy building a stitch and tape plywood canoe or maybe a small sailing boat,Hmmm maybe one day.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
galavanter

Post by galavanter »

To Rheon you mentioned plywood canoe ,Selway Fisher , in Cumbria have some nice ones sailing canoes ,plans etc or if you go onto sailing canoe website ther are sometimes secondhand ones Also Fyne boat s based in Cumbria again,plans for all sorts of water craft
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I doing an Open University Maths degree and relearning Latin to try and keep the little grey cells active. I wonder if this will counter the effect of the Balvenie, Edradour and Black Bush malt whisk(e)ys?
jonty
aj

Post by aj »

Gardening, closeup and macrophotography take up much of my spare time, some pictures here http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianjones/ .

Adrian