2011 Two Daughters Tour (plus)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

2011 Two Daughters Tour (plus)

Post by Mick F »

I'm having another go at my aborted 2009 tour.

This time, I'm joining up with other members of CycleSeven http://cycleseven.org/ on a historical ride north of Skipton.
http://cycleseven.org/west-yorkshire-cycling-weekend

To this end, Sunday 17th July will see me heading north via Bridgwater, Yarkhill (Herefordshire) and Big Sis's place in Wrexham and then to South Manchester to visit Daughter1 for a couple of days.

From there, I'll be crossing Manchester up to Skipton to do the 100mile West Yorkshire Ride on Saturday 23rd July.

I'll stay in Skipton for a second night and head back to South Manchester then move on south via Hathern (just north of Loughborough) and make Bedford to stay with Daughter2 for a couple of days too.

Then home via Uffington (NW of Swindon) and Bridgwater again. 925miles in two weeks, making it home on Saturday 30th July.

All accommodation is now booked.

Most of the route, I'm happy with, but crossing Manchester from south to north could be problematical. I don't want to use any cycle tracks or anything off road. I like roads, and any advice would be appreciated.

Leaving Baguley area and heading out via Rochdale/Todmorden?
Any good routes?
About 60miles I reckon.
Should I go straight through the city centre, or go round the outside?

Thanks!
Mick F. Cornwall
aek

Re: 2011 Two Daughters Tour (plus)

Post by aek »

That sounds like a great tour Mick. Just out of curiosity, which bike are you going to tour on ? Is it your Mercian ?
horizon

Post by horizon »

No. He's told me privately that he's acquired one of these from a local man and will be attaching the Carry Freedom trailer to it for the trip. The only change will be Campag gearing:

hobbyhorse.jpg
hobbyhorse.jpg (6.14 KiB) Viewed 820 times
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm going on my RSW16.

NOT!

Of course, it will be my Mercian, complete with trailer and alu box. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
aek

Post by aek »

horizon wrote:No. He's told me privately that he's acquired one of these from a local man and will be attaching the Carry Freedom trailer to it for the trip. The only change will be Campag gearing:

hobbyhorse.jpg

Hahaha, that was so funny!!!
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

aek wrote:
horizon wrote:No. He's told me privately that he's acquired one of these from a local man and will be attaching the Carry Freedom trailer to it for the trip. The only change will be Campag gearing:

hobbyhorse.jpg

Hahaha, that was so funny!!!

wot no concrete block!

This might be useful. It is a bit slow but shows suggested routes:
http://www.cyclegm.org/cyclemaps/cyclem ... eight=1024
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, I won't be taking any concrete - well, not deliberately anyway!

Still want advice on crossing Manchester.
Mick F. Cornwall
mattraisin

Post by mattraisin »

I did a route that went N/S through the east of Oldham, Lees Road then west of Stalybridge. I'm not entirely of the route as it was a diversion to try and regain time so was making the route up as I went. Obviously this is through the suburbs of Manchester but it was busy enough to be a massive relief to get out the other side. Came across an odd road which was apparently "Cyclists Have Priority", couldn't work out what on earth this meant though. I went Buxton direction after this route and came in from Hebden Bridge direction. I will try and get more information if I can dig out my torn out Atlas sheets from somewhere, however, I think I tuned to throwing them away after use to keep organised.
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
Big T

Post by Big T »

Do you really have to go through Manchester? So many great rides bypassing it - Holmfirth - Holme Moss - Glossop for example. You could just make your way to the centre of Manc and then follow the A6 into the Peak district (all the way to Hathern if you like). Depends on which bit of south Manc you're heading to.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

I will be in Baguley, near Altrincham and want to cycle to Skipton. In the absence of any advice, I intend to head into the city centre and off on the shortest route. Perhaps going via Rochdale and Keighley.
Mick F. Cornwall
mr bajokoses

Post by mr bajokoses »

If you can get from Baguley to Bury (I would just ride up the A56, but that's just me!), then go through Edenfield, Rawtenstall, Waterfoot, Burnley, Colne, then take Skipton Old Road to Skipton.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A56 sounds good. I don't mind A Roads at all, far better to get through the city environs asap. These A Roads tend to follow the contours too and take the easiest route.

Thanks.
More map studying to come!
Mick F. Cornwall
in4time

Post by in4time »

avoid the A6 around Hazel Grove - Stockport. Its awful, particularly on a bike!
drossall

Post by drossall »

When will you be in Bedford? I've ogled your Mercian for so long, and mine will be back from its Mercian respray any time now :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Due in Bedford late afternoon 26th July, leaving early on 28th July towards Swindon.
Two nights with Daughter2 and her husband.
Mick F. Cornwall