Lumicycle MR11 halogen upgrade to LED

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gentlegreen

Re: Lumicycle MR11 halogen replacement 1 Watt CREE XRE LED

Post by gentlegreen »

BSRU wrote:I recently received some 5w led MR11's from China that I took a punt on from EBay, cost £12 for 3 including the shipping.

They are supposed to be equivalent to a 35w halogen, I do not know if this is true but they are brighter than my 20w halogen bulbs. Cannot use them for real yet as they have no front protection so need to sort something out.

Any chance of a link ?

My MR16s are lovely things with quality optics - even at about £17 plus postage they were a bargain.
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

gentlegreen wrote:
BSRU wrote:I recently received some 5w led MR11's from China that I took a punt on from EBay, cost £12 for 3 including the shipping.

They are supposed to be equivalent to a 35w halogen, I do not know if this is true but they are brighter than my 20w halogen bulbs. Cannot use them for real yet as they have no front protection so need to sort something out.

Any chance of a link ?

My MR16s are lovely things with quality optics - even at about £17 plus postage they were a bargain.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

Thanks. :)

It's time I came up with a more compact "summer" option for the Sunday ride hybrid I'm planning to get on the road, and MR11s would seem to be the way.

Quality domestic LED lamps are taking frustratingly long to find their way onto the market.
Mine were only briefly available from a company affiliated to Bath University.

I'm guessing MR11s will have cruder drive circuitry. My MR16s have dinky little switching regulators and work efficiently down to 8 volts.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Here is an update for anyone who is interested in my search for a decent, inexpensive upgrade to the 13.2V Lumicycle halogen system.

After a lot of research I : . . . . . .

- won't be buying an LED bulb from Lumicycle.

- won't be buying Magicshine. Non-trivial battery problems reported via GeoMan Gear and other quality issues.

- might consider buying a MR11 upgrade kit from Cutter at some later time.

- I almost certainly WILL be buying an MR11 triple-XPE upgrade from "Troutie" from SingleTrackForums ( around £40 DIY, or all installed £50 )
http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... d-kit-vote

If the first light unit conversion produces the expected spectacular result, I might try to do my own LED upgrade in the second.

I will return to this post and edit in some of the links that have led ( geddit ? :roll: ) me to this point.

Lumiconversion.jpg
rjb

Re: Lumicycle MR11 halogen upgrade to LED

Post by rjb »

Graham wrote:I will return to this post and edit in some of the links that have led ( geddit ? :roll: ) me to this point.

Like lambs to the slaughter :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
ransos

Post by ransos »

I'd be very interested in the result. I have a spare Lumicycle lamp housing and NiMh battery - this could be just the ticket. Do you know what the light output is? What about the beam angle?
Graham

Post by Graham »

ransos wrote:I'd be very interested in the result. I have a spare Lumicycle lamp housing and NiMh battery - this could be just the ticket. Do you know what the light output is? What about the beam angle?

Quick response :
There appear to be two major options
triple XRE with spot-like optics - giving an output estimated of 550 lumens approx . . . . 680mA driver ====> good enough for road, with loooong runtimes

triple XRG with flood-like optics - giving a significantly higher lumen output, but spread over a wider area . . . . I think that they are recommending a 830mA driver for this one.
======> good enough for off-roading, but with slightly shorter ( but still long ) runtimes.

Note : Above, I'm paraphrasing and garbling the contents of several long threads on SIngleTrack forum. . . .and events are constantly moving on.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... step-guide
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

So the Lumicycle halogens had unfettered conical beams ?

Coincidentally, I have a couple of these on the way for my bike :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MR16-White-3-LED- ... 3f071d8019

£9 including post. Over-sized MR16 though - so strictly DIY - And they look like they may be the 30 degree beam I want, but I won't know until they arrive.

I'm a little nervous of going from single Crees with electronic regulators that operate down to 8 volts to ones which may well just have resistors to drop the 1.5 volts.

I will be fitting a hood to my dipped beam one ...
Graham

Post by Graham »

gentlegreen wrote:So the Lumicycle halogens had unfettered conical beams ?

Er, you will have to explain this.

gentlegreen wrote:Coincidentally, I have a couple of these on the way for my bike :-

Ah, the choices . . . . . seemingly endless . . . until one realises that every one has its constraints and niches.
It looks like you could almost put a mounting on that and run it as is, with the switch, etc. elsewhere.
PS. would that huge heatsink be due to its design for static position inside a building - with passive airflow in a restricted space ?

gentlegreen wrote:£9 including post. Over-sized MR16 though - so strictly DIY - And they look like they may be the 30 degree beam I want, but I won't know until they arrive.

Ah, for me that 30degrees is much too wide. ( I think. )

gentlegreen wrote:I will be fitting a hood to my dipped beam one ...

Yes, I am expecting to have to improvise a hood for my Lumicycle conversion.
ransos

Post by ransos »

Graham wrote:
ransos wrote:I'd be very interested in the result. I have a spare Lumicycle lamp housing and NiMh battery - this could be just the ticket. Do you know what the light output is? What about the beam angle?

Quick response :
There appear to be two major options
triple XRE with spot-like optics - giving an output estimated of 550 lumens approx . . . . 680mA driver ====> good enough for road, with loooong runtimes

triple XRG with flood-like optics - giving a significantly higher lumen output, but spread over a wider area . . . . I think that they are recommending a 830mA driver for this one.
======> good enough for off-roading, but with slightly shorter ( but still long ) runtimes.

Note : Above, I'm paraphrasing and garbling the contents of several long threads on SIngleTrack forum. . . .and events are constantly moving on.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... step-guide

Thanks Graham. So you're saying that if I send Troutie my lumicycle can and a cheque for £50, he'll do the rest? Would you let us know how you get on with it? I'm doing some longer night rides this year, and battery life with my halogen setup is a problem.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Has anyone got the equipment to make me an aluminum heatsink to go inside the Lumicycle can ??

PS. It is an alternative setup to the one in the photo above. i.e. a headsink to go behind the LED mounting rather than being integrated with the optics up-front.

Basically, it is like a fat coin 32.75mm in diameter, 6.75mm thick, with a wiring access hole in the middle and a further wide drilling ( 27mm diameter ) for some part of its thickness.
Example below - except the stepped protrusion at the back would actually be hollowed out. Note also the flat edge to the circle.

LumiconversionHS.jpg

I have a technical drawing which appears to be copyright ( so I won't make it public ).

Compensation negotiable.
( Fingers crossed that I haven't offended or temporarily banned those capable of doing this. ) :shock:

Edit : larger font to try to prevent this request from being lost.
crazydavid

Post by crazydavid »

Hi All

Whilst trawling internet, I have just come across this

http://www.ledcentre.uk.com/267-10-smd- ... 2v-ac.html

(sorry, can't get the link to work, so you might have to copy and paste into google)

This looks like a screw in replacement for the MR11 halogen bulb and do away with all that soldering malarkey. I don't know if it will run on the 14.4V lumicycle battery, but cheap enough to give it a go.

David
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

120 degrees - That's going to need serious reining-in.

I currently use single Crees with different refractive optics - I find my 40 degree low beam a bit over-generous, the 25 degree one not far off. The 15 degree high beam lens has some fainter over-spill and works fairly well on its own in the woods, but lacks grunt on the road - which is why I'm now looking for higher-powered 30 degree lamps for both.

I'm hoping the 3 x 3 watt MR16s I've ordered will turn out to be three very narrow optics designed to combine to a 30 degree spot, rather than a flood.

Interesting to note the push in domestic lamps for triple LEDs - it makes electrical sense - it's why I've avoided going for Seoul P7s - if you've got 12 volts, you might as well run three LEDs in series and avoid a fancy regulator - which my single Crees have - explaining why they cost so much - I can only find them in Germany now - and only occasionally.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

It bothers me that even on sensible - looking LED sites they continue to blatantly lie :-

Incandescent lights are clearly the worst choice we can do. Their very high consumption of energy lies in their low conversion rate. Incandescent light bulbs - traditional or halogen - convert only 5% of energy into light, the rest is emitted as heat. Besides, these light bulbs have a very short lifespan, so they have to be purchased very often.

Fluorescent lights are somewhat better choice. They convert about 20% of the energy into light, and have a longer lifespan ranging from 1000 to 10000 hours depending on the product. They still don't mean a radical change in your electricity bill, but definitely reduces it, and they are not the most expensive buys either. The environment, however, suffers the most of this type of lighting, containing poisonous chemicals like Argon and Mercury released to the air whenever one light breaks, and also most of its parts are not recyclable. Also, fluorescent lights struggle with lighting up, depending on the model it might take several minutes to gain full brightness.

Installing light emitting diodes (LED) is a huge step in saving energy. Their conversion rate is 80-90%, they hardly emit any heat and consume only a few wattage in the case of a regular light bulb. If you replace your incandescent light bulbs with LED lights the money spent on lighting bill will reduce with 80-90%, but even if you replace fluorescents with LEDs the money saved is roughly 50%, not to mention the life-span of the LED, which works for 3 to 10 times longer than fluorescent bulbs or tubes. Recently LED lighting products have developed at such a fast pace that an incredibly wide range of products and solutions have become available. Not only home light bulbs are replaceable but street-lights, flood lights, wall washers, advertising panels or television sets operate with it, and provide a whole range of new lighting solutions.

http://www.ledcentre.uk.com/newsletter/ ... ectionid=0

Where to start ?

Fluorescents are massively more efficient than incandescents - 4 to 5 times, and the best LEDs are less efficient than fluorescents - and only really win out for low power and focussed applications.

I'm about to put a fluorescent (3 watt cold cathode) back on my bike because I want a gentle / diffused option for shared paths - and because I enjoy the perversity..
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

Not surprisingly my "9 watt triple Cree" turned out to be consuming less than 0.45 amps at the 12 volt end so more like 5 watts. :evil:
I suppose I could try over-driving them.. the LED "coin" isn't even attached very well to what's actually a very nicely-made extrusion.
Still, if it chucks out enough light it will be a decent stop-gap until a genuine 9 watt or even a Seoul with a proper regulator appears on the market.

Chances are the seller will try to bribe me to give a good recommendation.