Kit photo

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mattraisin

Re: Kit photo

Post by mattraisin »

I really hope this is a joke, Iron? Electric Drill/Screwdriver? And the Iron was when he had reduced weight!
A puncture in the middle of nowhere simply gives you more time to admire the view.
Mike777

Post by Mike777 »

Hi

Ok had a major rethink on this whole issue and will re post tonight !

Thanks again for all the useful replies.

Regards

Mike
Robert

Post by Robert »

Whilst you're re-thinking have another look at the beer issue.

I'd have thought you'd need a barrel, or at least a poly pin. I'd go for the barrel, it would make the trailer more worthwhile. Probably best to get it racked bright and drink it fairly sharpish.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

you mean firkin. a barrel is a ridiculous amount for one chap
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

In honour of its inventor, whose death has just been announced, the OP should also take a Black and Decker workbench. An essential tool for roadside repairs, it can double up as seat or picnic table.
Robert

Post by Robert »

hubgearfreak wrote:you mean firkin. a barrel is a ridiculous amount for one chap

Fair point Hubbers, OTOH it'd be very sociable.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

good point, you'd be happy to have him camping next to you 8)
Robert

Post by Robert »

hubgearfreak wrote:good point, you'd be happy to have him camping next to you 8)

My new internet friend :D
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

meic wrote:No honestly I wouldnt carry 500g of anything that couldnt be avoided by spending around £500.

I love titanium. :wink:

Yes I do have a titanium beer mug. :D :D

You'd save even more weight if you took dehydrated beer

Mind you, you'd probably want a resealable bottle so you didn't have to drink all 6 pints (reconstituted) at once :D
The gourmet wanderer

Post by The gourmet wanderer »

Pack with some sense. Two sets of clothes 1 on 1 packed. Waterproofs, Tent, S/bag, W/bag, warm hi viz jacket/vest, gloves (if necessary) first aid kit. bike lights, helmet, repair kit (basic).
Food: A single ring stove, 2 pans sm wooden spoon, sponge with green side, n 3-4 ltrs water. Your food will be your best friend. All dehydrated rat packs do you no good in the long run. In the west there is fresh food in abundance. Eat sensibly. The 4 big s/mrkts sell a good range of open n heat soups stews n curries in pkts n sauces to mix n serve, fresh friut n veg. Smash, coscous, pasta, rice, tins of beer, wine gin n tonic, scotch n dry - your choice search the shelves. For puddings - fresh friut. All light n easily carried. Take 4 sm boxes n a few seal bags to carry food in. Shop late pm, you'll get enough fresh meat n fish for that night and a small cereal n bread for breakfast. It's good to take a 24 hour survival kit of food so if you are particularly tired n haven't shopped you don't worry. Never carry any dairy products they go off too quickly. Try soya or rice alternatives.
For extras: Ipod with books and music down loaded and even a camera. Diary n pen, satnev or maps.
ditch the iron. Keep it light. Hope that is of some use. If you are unsure pack your panniers n do a 40 + mile round trip and see what you want to get rid of at the end of it. Good luck. Happy riding.
Mike777

Post by Mike777 »

Hi all

I am back from my trip and appreciated all the advice........

I 'obviously' went as light as possible and the bike really held up well apart from a couple of punctures on the final day (day 5)

Please find attached a few pictures of my trip...........please let me know if you like them ?

Regards

Mike
CC2.jpg
CC2.jpg (6.91 KiB) Viewed 527 times
Attachments
CC5.jpg
CC5.jpg (5.56 KiB) Viewed 527 times
CC4.jpg
CC4.jpg (5.11 KiB) Viewed 527 times
CC3.jpg
CC3.jpg (5.3 KiB) Viewed 527 times
CC1.jpg
CC1.jpg (4.06 KiB) Viewed 527 times
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Excellent. Did you take the electric iron and/or electric screwdriver?
Mike777

Post by Mike777 »

snibgo wrote:Excellent. Did you take the electric iron and/or electric screwdriver?

No............thought better of it !

Went as light as possible !

Mike
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Some photo captions would be good....and even bigger photos! (but I'm hopeless at doing it!)

That's not Nine Standards Rigg?
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

Think there was some missed photo ops, ironing on top of Hartside summit and the like there.