Munich onwards

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bigjim

Munich onwards

Post by bigjim »

Anybody know if it is possible to cycle from Munich to Regensburg? I know they were supposed to be extending the cycle route to Munich but looking on Google Earth I can only see what appears to be a busy main road that I would have to join from the airport. I know there is a train service but it has a 3 bike limit and anyway I fancy riding it.
freebooter

Re: Munich onwards

Post by freebooter »

It looks from this map as if there should be a cycle route from Munich to the Danube and then turn right.

http://www.nationaler-radverkehrsplan.d ... z-2004.jpg

The route is also marked on Opencyclemap which will show enough detail to transcribe the route to another map.

http://www.opencyclemap.org/
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Thanks.
Anybody know what the various key/symbols stand for [Ab, Aam. Is. etc] . Is the red line a cycle route? If it is there appears to be a few short cuts as you zoom in. Anybody know?
Thanks. Jim.
edwin

Post by edwin »

bigjim wrote:Thanks.
Anybody know what the various key/symbols stand for [Ab, Aam. Is. etc] . Is the red line a cycle route? If it is there appears to be a few short cuts as you zoom in. Anybody know?
Thanks. Jim.

Hi Jim,

Which map are you refering to? What red line?
Anyway, the easiest way would be down the river Isar and then up the river Danube. It's a bit of a detour. The cyclepath at the Danube is well renowned. The path along the Isar can be seen here.
If you need a shorter way, I can have a look.

Cheers
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Hi
Freebooter kindly supplied an openmap link which when clicked on gives a route marked in red.
My plan at the moment is to get from Munich to Regensburg in early May where I will meet up with 2 others and then we will continue the Danube route. I do have the train alternative but I thought it would be nice to ride it, hence the route question. I assume it is about 100miles+ so would be looking at 2 days plus. By the way someone has dropped out so looking for another rider to join us.
Thanks for any info. Jim
freebooter

Post by freebooter »

On Opencyclemap if you look at the bottom right of the screen there is a box that has a link to "key and more info" which explains the different colours. Red is a national route, light blue is regional and dark blue is local. The numbers or letters in the little boxes on the routes are IDs of the routes. The main red one out of Munich is D11 which is also shown on the first link I gave. The other letters you gave will be similar IDs for the regional routes. If you look at the UK the numbers are the NCN IDs.

If you haven't found it already, the box on the bottom left of the Opencyclemap screen has a box that you can put in a placename and the map will centre on it, ie Munchen, although it does zoom right in when doing so.
dejavu

Post by dejavu »

Yes, you can follow the Isar cycleway heading north out of Munich. The Isar cycle way (radweg) joins the Danube cycleway near Deggendorf. Just turn left here & cycle the Danube cycleway to Regensburg. This is a very scenic & traffic free route taking 3 or 4 days of fairly leisurely cycling. I flew to Munich last year & the Isar radweg can be reached by following the airport cycle paths to Freising which is just a few kilometers away.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to get to Regensburg within 2 days. I may yet opt for the train. I was looking at the main route on Google Earth to see if there is a cycle path running paralel with the road but it's not easy to make out.
mcr

Post by mcr »

You don't have to restrict yourself to signed cycle routes of course - plenty of minor roads criss-cross the region. On the other hand there are other cycle routes detailed here: http://87.234.63.51/bfr/index_en.htm - eg the AbensRadweg that cuts across to the Danube (see the Routes tab).

(I'm vaguely considering a route from Munich myself so am finding this website useful - direct links to accommodation enroute and even gps tracks to download.)
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Thanks for the link. Are you getting "temporarily unavailable" on the tabs?
tinribs

Post by tinribs »

I cycled this last year over 2 days. I cycled along the river to Landshut (very pretty) where I camped for the night (nice campsite by the river on the north-eastern outskirts). I then cycled due north to Regensburg, I can't remember the exact route but it's all nice gentle countryside round there. Hops country I think. Pick up the relevant ADFC maps when over there as they show all the marked cycle routes, of which there are hundreds in Germany.