Cheap bike odometers

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
matt2matt2002

Cheap bike odometers

Post by matt2matt2002 »

After my Cateye fell off last week I have been thinking of replacing it with a cheapie T*sco one.
All I want is mileage speed and time kinda thingie.

I guess you get what you pay for - but are the supermarket ones rubbish - or will it give me what I want - at a third of the cost?

Thoughts folks.......

Ta very much
:D
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
rjb

Re: Cheap bike odometers

Post by rjb »

£3.99 in Lidl Monday 14th March. Last one i got there was very good so will get a couple more at that price. Not on there web site yet but in there flyer picked up yesterday.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

You could try Halfords own 12 function one.

I got an earlier model in 2005/6 , broke it in June 2008 and since then kept it in place with rubber bands (thanks postie) and it works wonderfully

I am now getting another one at long last, as it is a good mech and gives me the info I want

I got a cheap Lidl/Aldi which works fine and has a scan mode

Why pay more?
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I think Halfords would represent a reasonable budget purchase. I run a Halfords unit and a Cateye on my bikes and I'm happy with both. Although the Cateye is in action a heck of a lot more than the Halfords! I bought the Halfords one about 8 years ago after a cycle mag said how good it was.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

This thread's reminded me I still need to get something organised and I reckon I'm going to have two - one of them permanently on the bike in a waterproof container, tucked under the seat and only consulted periodically.

It's fairly academic though as my habits are very regular.
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

gentlegreen wrote:This thread's reminded me I still need to get something organised and I reckon I'm going to have two - one of them permanently on the bike in a waterproof container, tucked under the seat and only consulted periodically.

It's fairly academic though as my habits are very regular.

I s it in a waterproof container under your seat for good reason? :evil:
rapidfire72

Post by rapidfire72 »

I have a Bikemate, that I got from Aldi in July 2008 and still going strong. Beats Cateye any day. I'm after another one, so will look out for the cycling day offers.
meic

Post by meic »

We fitted the entire family fleet with halfords 12 function speedometers around 2005/2006.
They have been excellent, I just built up a new bike and went to Halfords and found that they now have a new model which is very different. :cry:
On reflection they were not very cheap and I can buy a more prestigious speedo for the same sort of money but it probably will be nowhere near as good!
Yma o Hyd
Hemipode

Post by Hemipode »

rapidfire72 wrote:I have a Bikemate, that I got from Aldi in July 2008 and still going strong. Beats Cateye any day. I'm after another one, so will look out for the cycling day offers.

+1 .... and at only a fiver you can't go wrong !
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

These go on forever (well nearly) and are cheap:- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Sigma-Baselin ... 45ed37dd18

Bikemate are cheap and good but have far too many functions IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One problem with Lidl /Aldi stuff is that standards can be so variable. My best buy from Lidl was an excxellent extending stepladder when the identical thing was on sale elsewhere at over twice the price. Around the same time I bought some paint stripper which was about as much use as washing up liquid. I've had other examples of win some, lose some.

By coincidence, I've just tried - unsuccessfully - to use an Aldi headtorch bought only last year. Ultrabright and an excellent lamp. I put it aside, virtually unused for use in emergency. I tried it this afternoon and the batteries had leaked. A quick check shows an expiry date of Dec 2011. By comparison, I have some batteries in a regularly used Petzl headtorch which are labelled to expire in 2008 and they are as bright as ever.

It seems to me it's generally cheap but not always a bargain.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

reohn2 wrote:These go on forever (well nearly) and are cheap:- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Sigma-Baselin ... 45ed37dd18

Max' speed only 50 ??? :roll:
If that's 50k then thats only 31mph. :(
+1 though for Sigmas.

Bikemate are cheap and good but have far too many functions IMO.

My bikemate (F-17) only has 5 functions. odo.dst.mxs.avs.tm. and speed continuous reading of course.
The problems I have had with the cheaper computers has been the connections on the mounting bracket.
They invariably tarnish and in the end loose the springiness out of the metal contact.
The Sigmas have a different type of connection and have been very reliable now for a couple of years.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Argosy

Post by Argosy »

thirdcrank wrote:One problem with Lidl /Aldi stuff is that standards can be so variable. My best buy from Lidl was an excxellent extending stepladder when the identical thing was on sale elsewhere at over twice the price. Around the same time I bought some paint stripper which was about as much use as washing up liquid. I've had other examples of win some, lose some.

By coincidence, I've just tried - unsuccessfully - to use an Aldi headtorch bought only last year. Ultrabright and an excellent lamp. I put it aside, virtually unused for use in emergency. I tried it this afternoon and the batteries had leaked. A quick check shows an expiry date of Dec 2011. By comparison, I have some batteries in a regularly used Petzl headtorch which are labelled to expire in 2008 and they are as bright as ever.

It seems to me it's generally cheap but not always a bargain.

The Top Cat video you talked of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXu4lAny ... re=related Cha Cha, remember that one??
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Now's your chance to try:-
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... _18823.htm

Lidl - £3.99 from the 14th march. :D but 30 functions. :shock:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I bought a Lidl one at the previous sale. It doesn't have cadence, which is a shame, but seems fine for the usual functions. I haven't put it on a bike yet, so I don't know about long-term reliability.