slick MTB tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
3spd

slick MTB tyres

Post by 3spd »

Looking for a recommendation for a pair of slick MTB tyres.
Converting old steel rigid Kona MTB and I'm after something fast, comfortable and puncture proof! :lol:
Too much to ask?
My worse day on my bike is better than my best day at work!
willem jongman

Re: slick MTB tyres

Post by willem jongman »

50 mm Schwalbe Big Apple? Or 50 mm Kojak if you want something faster.
Willem
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Conti sport contact 1.6.
irc

Post by irc »

+1 for Conti Sport Contact 1.6s or alternatively a not quite slick pair of Marathon Racers 26x1.5.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 0s142p1628
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

I use Conti "Country-plus" - they have a raised treaded section that I reckon makes them narrow tyres when on good tarmac - at least until it wears down - it's lovely road-gripping rubber, but maybe a bit soft.

Lost the tread on my back one in 6 months / 800 miles - then I got a track pump and started to pump them up to 4 bar - the replacement seems to be doing better.

I reckon once the central tread goes, you're left with "city contacts"
eltonioni

Post by eltonioni »

willem jongman wrote:50 mm Schwalbe Big Apple? Or 50 mm Kojak if you want something faster.
Willem

+1
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

If you want something more comfortable then cruiser tyres are slick and high volume.

I've got a pair of these bad boys on order:

http://bontrager.com/model/02856
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I had 1.6 inch Conti Sportcontacts on one bike. The were pretty puncture prone, the sidewalls were not as sturdy as I would like, and they were only fastish if you inflated them to quite high pressures. And only quite narrow, so not nearly as comfy as the 50 mm tyres.
I would not expect the Bontrager cruiser tyres to be fast at all. Bontrager tyres are mostly quite crude Chinese stuff. If you want the cruiser look, the cruiser variants of the BIg Apple would probably be much higher quality
Willem
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

willem jongman wrote:I would not expect the Bontrager cruiser tyres to be fast at all. Bontrager tyres are mostly quite crude Chinese stuff. If you want the cruiser look, the cruiser variants of the BIg Apple would probably be much higher quality
Willem

Crude chinese stuff? China is the workshop of the world, so I think you'll find many things you own are made there.

I have Bonty tyres on my MTB, the tubeless tyres are great and hold air better than tubes.

I have the Fat Frank tyres, the problem with them is they are too loose on the rim and I can't get them to seal on my tubeless rims. So I am forced to try something else. My ride to work can be fully on the road but I also use gravel tracks and sometimes go over grass, so I want volume.

Why would I care about speed when my bike is a utility bike with a Rohloff and upright position? the aerodynamics will be the biggest obstacle to speed. Besides, I overtake enough people as it is :)

Update: Tyres arrived and they're actually made in Taiwan, just like pretty much most things you buy for your bike.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Panaracer Pasela Tourguards come in 26x1.25, 1.5 & 1.75"
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Of course I have quality Chinese stuff as well. However, other than producing good quality China is also the world's top producer of cheap and nasty. The Bontrager tyres I have had were very crude, and this is confirmed in various tests. There are of course various options in slick mtb tyres. My personal favourites are the Panaracer Pasela 26x1.75. However, they are fragile. I did not like the Conti Sportcontact 26x1.6. I found it puncture prone (could be bad luck, of course) and only fast if infalted hard. So by elimination I would suggest the Big Apple: fast, comfy and reliable. The new 2011 versions has lighter and more flexible sidewalls, for lower weight, and probably also less rolling resistance and more comfort.
Willem
Steve Kish

Post by Steve Kish »

I'm very pleased with my Conti Grand Prix 26 x 1.1/8 with Poly-X-Breaker puncture protection.
I was also quite happy with my Bontrager Road Warrior 26 x 1.5, but when these are worn down, they seem to pick up punctures quite easily.
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
niggle

Post by niggle »

willem jongman wrote:My personal favourites are the Panaracer Pasela 26x1.75. However, they are fragile.

Possibly so in the sidewalls, the tread is fine and only one puncture in ~3000 miles on my 700c tourer using 32mm width. The puncture was after the Dartmoor Devil audax in quite harsh conditions with storm debris on the roads and was caused by a big thorn, and even then it got me round the course and did not go down until during the night after.
willem jongman wrote:I did not like the Conti Sportcontact 26x1.6. I found it puncture prone (could be bad luck, of course) and only fast if infalted hard.

I have used these for about 2000 miles and not had any punctures, but agree with your assessment otherwise. They seem quite heavy and slow despite appearances.
willem jongman wrote:So by elimination I would suggest the Big Apple: fast, comfy and reliable. The new 2011 versions has lighter and more flexible sidewalls, for lower weight, and probably also less rolling resistance and more comfort.
Willem

I might try these next for my commuter, which is currently wearing its OEM "X Rated" 26x1.6", which when I looked closer turned out to be the Innova budget brand, not fantastic but seem to roll better than the Conti Sport Contacts!
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

I may give these a go at some point. Although the tread pattern is pointless.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48133
niggle

Post by niggle »

gilesjuk wrote:I may give these a go at some point. Although the tread pattern is pointless.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48133

Look suspiciously heavy to me, that deep tread has to be cut into quite a lot of rubber.