Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
quiksilver

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by quiksilver »

Out of curiosity Busaste do you know the name of the road the Viscount factory was in at Potters Bar?
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

quiksilver wrote:Out of curiosity Busaste do you know the name of the road the Viscount factory was in at Potters Bar?

I can tell you that, it's on the ad after all!

Trusty Manufacturing Company Limited
Cranborne Road, Potters Bar, Herts EN6 3JS

b
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Cheers Bendo.
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

A quick check of Google maps and Streetview seems to show that Cranborne Rd no longer exists :(
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Cusqueno wrote:Hi. I share Bendo's enthusiasm for the 1970s Dura Ace group set. Viscount must have been an early adopter, fitting Crane (1st. gen. Dura Ace) RD's and sometimes DA FDs, when Shimano were trying to break through into the market dominated by French & Italian components. Rumour says that there was a Pro produced with a full DA gruppo - anyone seen one of these? Later on, in 1981, a rather lovely 'Team' bike is shown in a catalogue with all Dura Ace components (I have this picture but cannot up-load it from this computer). Did any of these make it from the factory?...

You'd be interested in these then...

http://tinyurl.com/4ztvfay

If you can't get real Viscount hubs these might have to do! b
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

I saw this on another website and wondered if it was the same company?
Attachments
art0006h.jpg
art0006h.jpg (32.38 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
busaste

Post by busaste »

quiksilver wrote:I saw this on another website and wondered if it was the same company?

Yes!

Trusty created Viscount out of the ashes of Lambert.
busaste

Post by busaste »

How about this for a budding Viscount collector?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Viscount-Bicycle- ... 35afffd91d
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Thought it was about time I swelled the Viscount collection. Just picked this up on Ebay for £26.00.
Attachments
Viscount Racer.jpg
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

What is it? An Aerospace? I can hardly see whether it has braizing or lugs. (edit: I think I see a lug at the top of the seat tube). And what accessories? I see a nice steel chainring and 3 piece crankset with cotter pins. And CP brakes. Wish some more came up for sale like that in my neck of the woods. There's a Sebring for sale on eBay at the mo in Sydney but it's pick up only. :( b
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

I think it's a Sebring but I am sure Busaste will tell me, lol, am hoping it is as that will makle two now that I own. I fancied getting a 2nd so I could have one as a fixed gear and one as a racer. That saddle will have to go though, it's awful.
Attachments
$(KGrHqQOKpsE1q+LnF0EBNe790q0O!~~_12.jpg
$(KGrHqMOKn!E1S8gw,(VBNe7+HDILg~~_12.jpg
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Bendo, are you in Australia? Do you look on Trade Me? NZ's equivilant of Ebay, postage from NZ wouldn't be quite so bad for you.
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Yep. Melbourne. Thanks for the tip about the NZ site, I'll check it out.

That bike's good and grubby. Happy hours of cleaning ahead for you. Esp that front hub!

Some nice bits and pieces. Particularly like the pedals. As we say here...noice! b
busaste

Post by busaste »

quiksilver wrote:I think it's a Sebring but I am sure Busaste will tell me, lol, am hoping it is as that will makle two now that I own. I fancied getting a 2nd so I could have one as a fixed gear and one as a racer. That saddle will have to go though, it's awful.

Definitely a Sebring!

It has quite a few non standard parts. The derailleurs should be Shimano 600 with Shimano levers. Cranks would be SR Apex 52/42, rear freewheel, Shimano 14 - 24. Brake levers Shimano with 'safety lever' extensions. There would also be Shimano quick release machanisms too. Wheels would be Shimano bolt on hubs laced to german made Shuramann chromed rims. Some Sebring frames had lugs all over whereas others had the seat tube brazed directly to the bottom bracket shell without a lug (mostly the earlier ones). The frames were made in Taiwan and were pretty good if a tad heavy.
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Thanks Busaste, I noticed it had pump pegs where as my other Sebring frame has no trace of them. I think its gonna take a few tins of Coke and a lot of tinfoil to get the new one cleaned up. I am hoping to have it on the road a bit sharpish so will probably go with whats on it already rather than seek original parts. and it looks like a 5 speed too, which is what I was after. Its even the same colour as my fixed conversion!