Corsica (and Sardinia)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
alexnhow

Corsica (and Sardinia)

Post by alexnhow »

Hi,
My friend and I have just booked flights to Corsica for the beginning of September. It's all quite off the cuff as neither of us have done anything like this before, but we were hoping to do some cycling on the island. We basically have a week to get from Bastia to Bonifacio for a ferry to Sardinia... is this doable for pretty amateurish cyclists (I think we could quite happily cycle in the region of 40 miles per day and still enjoy ourselves)?
Also, we aren't planning to take our own bikes over from England. I've seen that there are plenty of bike rental facilities, but is there the opportunity to hire from one place and drop them off in another - i.e. are there companies that would allow us to rent a bike in Bastia and return it to another branch in Ajaccio/Bonifacio etc? Or would we have to bring our own bikes for this kind of trip?
Lastly, any recommendation regarding routes? - there seem to be plenty of campsites etc along the coast and I'm assuming the terrain is less trying?
We're heading to Sardinia for the second week... but thinking we may need to just relax and use the public transport after the week in Corsica! :D
Many thanks.
dodger

Re: Corsica (and Sardinia)

Post by dodger »

Corsica is a wonderful place to cycle, with routes as hard as you want and spectacular scenery. Your problem is what to leave out. I know there is bike hire but I've not used it and I doubt the chance of one-way hire.
I recommend going around Gap Corse and travelling down the west coast of the island.