Building up a bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
LANDSURFER74

Re: Building up a bike

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

Sorry , just built a bike up from parts in the shed for the son - in - law , hybrid type , 2 and 1 half hours ... what the hell are you going to do for a year .. its a bike not a degree!!! :D :D
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

patricktaylor wrote:... I'd enjoy building up a bike from scratch and perhaps take a year over it, on the side of everything else ...

LANDSURFER74 wrote:... what the hell are you going to do for a year? ...

LOL
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I fancy a Roberts Audax frame

Obviously a man of taste!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
BigG

Post by BigG »

patricktaylor wrote: I fancy a Roberts Audax frame.

I fancy Catherine Zeta Jones; but I think i'll stay with my wife!
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

LOL :D , LOL :D ..Big g
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

p.s ... Linda Bellingham ...mmmmmmmm with or without OXO...
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

BigG wrote:
patricktaylor wrote: I fancy a Roberts Audax frame.

I fancy Catherine Zeta Jones; but I think i'll stay with my wife!

A Roberts Audax frame will stay attractive longer than Catherine Zeta Jones, and generate a lot less domestic friction.

patrick - Mercian do do retro frames, depending on what is meant by retro - you'd probably think of my newest as retro - but they do some up-to-the-minute stuff as well - they'll build what you want. When I went there to order my frame, they had a Reynolds 953 frame - of their build - with carbon front forks, built to what seemed to me to be the very latest layout and geometry and for time-trialling purposes, and there were many new frames of all shapes, sizes and specifications. Don't think of Mercian as being traditional touring only.

I've always wanted to know - what does "LOL" mean?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

JohnW wrote:I've always wanted to know - what does "LOL" mean?

It should be "Lots of love".

Unfortunately it now means "Laughing out loud"
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

JohnW wrote:... Don't think of Mercian as being traditional touring only.

Fair point John. Image of Mercian lugless.
pubrunner

Post by pubrunner »

Mick F wrote:Yes, diy is best!

If you are starting with a bare frame and you have no workstand, get the wheels on first. This allows you to have a "solid" surface to work with.

Yes, I've decided to get the wheels; but first, I need to put on rim tape. The wheels are 700C Mavic Open Pro, can anyone recommend a suitable rim tape ? I've seen Velox rim tape (tape and cloth tape) - though I'm not sure what size it needs to be. I've also seen a heavier looking polyurethane tape for sale, that fits all 700c wheels.

http://www.mailorderbikes.com/products.php?plid=m5b0s314p3783

When I get past the rim tape issue; I'll need inner tubes and tyres ? Are inner tubes 'much of a muchness ?' or are some noticeably better ?

Thank you for all the previous replies - especially those who have offered to help - I might knock on your door one day :D
herzog

Post by herzog »

17mm Velox will fit well (just built up a 105/open pro) - I've used it on all my bikes for years.

With regards to inner tubes, I've no preference and have used many different brands. I've found Continental to be good (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-qua ... nner-tube/). Though difficult to assess if they're actually any good or not, I've not had a puncture in over 5000 miles (in combination with Specialized Armadillos).

Herzog
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

RIM TAPES... 2 layers of duct tape .... ideal .....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pubrunner wrote: Are inner tubes 'much of a muchness ?' or are some noticeably better ?
I would buy Schwalbe.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46949
Very pleased with them, and next time I need inner tubes, they will be the one's I'll buy.
Mick F. Cornwall
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Edwards wrote:
JohnW wrote:I've always wanted to know - what does "LOL" mean?

It should be "Lots of love".

Unfortunately it now means "Laughing out loud"

That actually explains a lot, Edwards.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mick F wrote:Yes, diy is best!

If you are starting with a bare frame and you have no workstand, get the wheels on first. This allows you to have a "solid" surface to work with. Obviously, you need the front forks on first..........................................

I must have missed this earlier.

I'd go along generally with that philosophy, but my first job on a new or re-sprayed frame is to check that the bottom bracket goes in easily and positively - then the same with the seat-pin. The fit should always be perfect, but it isn't always. My next job is to squirt the "Frame Saver" into the tubes. I the fit the bottom bracket when the "Frame Saver" has cured - and proceed generally as Mick says.

Answer this honestly everyone - has anyone built up a bike on a new or re-sprayed frame without inflicting any damage at all to the paintwork - however small?