togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GrahamNR17

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by GrahamNR17 »

I didn't like this crankset on the BSA, and being French it was a different sized square hole on each crank :evil: Wasn't Renault enough revenge for those people? :evil:

But I think I've found something more suitable :D Trouble is, the pedals now look a bit odd. Anyone point me at traditional style all-black rat traps? :|

GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

robc02 wrote:
What year is it, if you know? It will be worth trawling through the NCC archive for catalogues to see what colours it was available in.

1951 as long as the hub is original. I'll do a bit of digging - purely out of curiosity you understand :oops:

My money's on it being a Royal Tourist model, that being one of the few that had 28" rims in their catalogues at the time.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

GrahamNR17 wrote:
robc02 wrote:
What year is it, if you know? It will be worth trawling through the NCC archive for catalogues to see what colours it was available in.

1951 as long as the hub is original. I'll do a bit of digging - purely out of curiosity you understand :oops:

My money's on it being a Royal Tourist model, that being one of the few that had 28" rims in their catalogues at the time.

I've found a 1947 - 48 catalogue which lists a Tourist and Royal Tourist with 28 inch wheels. The main difference is the colour - black for the Tourist and Royal Blue for the Royal Tourist. They both had 3 speed hubs, the Royal with dynohub and lights. Mine has a four speed dynohub and lights, but then it is newer than the catalogue plus "additional equipment" (upgrades as well as extras in today's parlance) were available - prices for which were at the back of the catalogue.

I am guessing that mine is a "Tourist" as there is no sign of any blue paint on the fork column, but there could well be some black. When I get around to removing the bottom bracket I'll have a look inside the shell - err, again purely out of curiosity. (The black model had gold AND red lining you know.)
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

My Money is on the Royal Tourist - I have a 1951/2 Catalog also (as well as the other one, which is 1938, not 1937 :oops:) - Royal Blue as standard, but black was certainly an option, as was the (presumably) FG Hub. Dry Battery Unit also Standard, "All Parts Humber-Chromium Plated" - If I had a scanner, I'd scan the relevant pages. Catalog came with my Clipper, along with original paper-work, which was a Bonus! That was the steal of last year..

In other news, my pre-war Raleigh (aprox late 1920's) has gone to be shot-blasted. - Still having huge trouble with the K-Hub, just can't get the damn thing open & it's been sat in plus-gas for well over a fortnight.

Having found a 28" 40-Hole rim, anyone know what spokes I need to lace a K-series hub into it?

Thanks!

Tim2
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Roadstersrevenge wrote:Having found a 28" 40-Hole rim, anyone know what spokes I need to lace a K-series hub into it?

not off hand, but this never let me down
http://www.bikeschool.com/tools/spoke-length-calculator
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Turd beige was not a standard colour
robc02 wrote:I'm not familiar with that particular hue - do you have a RAL code for it?

looks more like baby sick green to me
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

Having found a 28" 40-Hole rim, anyone know what spokes I need to lace a K-series hub into it?

I've got one on the back of my TCT1 bike, will measure them and post the answer tomorrow (watching telly w Carolin at the moment)!
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

http://www.prototrains.com/bicycle/AD4935-AD5031.pdf

you can download your own pdf copy of the Raleigh wheel building instructions, including spoke length chart.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote: Wasn't Renault enough revenge for those people? :evil:

Ah, yes. Renault 4 - the world's first soluble car. Ironically, a French firm has been employed to tackle any corrosion problems on the Humber Bridge. Think about that when you next pay £2.70 for the pleasure of diving across it :roll:

Steve (wot always gets across the bridge as quickly as possible :? )
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote: Wasn't Renault enough revenge for those people? :evil:

Ah, yes. Renault 4 - the world's first soluble car. Ironically, a French firm has been employed to tackle any corrosion problems on the Humber Bridge. Think about that when you next pay £2.70 for the pleasure of diving across it :roll:

Steve (wot always gets across the bridge as quickly as possible :? )

Who the hell would cross the Humber Bridge on purpose :roll:

Well, unless they're escapin' I 'spose :lol:
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

Tim, the answers are: 12" spokes if you are building it cross 4 and 11 1/2" spokes for cross 3. This is with a 28 x 1 1/2" westwood rim.
K4 rear wheel.jpg

My wheel, which was built cross three by the local bike shop, started breaking spokes after a couple of years. Also, the outside spokes on the drive side rubbed on the chaincase. Last week I took it all apart and added two brass washers to each spoke. This has pulled the spokes in tight against the flange and it doesn't rub now (I wondered if the heads of the inbound spokes would start to rub after the addition of the washers but thankfully they haven't).

According to my kitchen scales an 11 1/2" stainless spoke weighs a quarter of an ounce. There is 20" less spoke with a x 3 wheel compared to x 4, so you can save yourself 0.43 oz!

Good luck with the wheel building.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

steve browne wrote:According to my kitchen scales an 11 1/2" stainless spoke weighs a quarter of an ounce. There is 20" less spoke with a x 3 wheel compared to x 4, so you can save yourself 0.43 oz!

About 5 fruit pastilles then :roll: Nice :wink:

Steve
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

or a pair of eyebrows 8)
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

Many thanks Steve

Anyone got any bright ideas on how to get the thing apart in the mean-time?!
robc02

Post by robc02 »

My Money is on the Royal Tourist - I have a 1951/2 Catalog also (as well as the other one, which is 1938, not 1937 ) - Royal Blue as standard, but black was certainly an option, as was the (presumably) FG Hub. Dry Battery Unit also Standard, "All Parts Humber-Chromium Plated" - If I had a scanner, I'd scan the relevant pages. Catalog came with my Clipper, along with original paper-work, which was a Bonus! That was the steal of last year..

Having looked again at the 1948-49 catalogue, you're probably right. I didn't realise the colour change was an option. Having said that, there were so many options listed you could change one model into another if you wanted to - it probably cost more. It would seem logical to have started with the Royal Tourist to end up where mine is.

If you do get the chance to scan your 1951-52 catalogue I would be very grateful. I now have two models from it as my 26inch wheel Humber is also a 1951 model - Royal Elf, I think.