My lad (13) wants to cycle to school...

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
DaveP

My lad (13) wants to cycle to school...

Post by DaveP »

but he has no road sense whatsoever! This was confirmed recently after having to leave the towpath because of construction work. The journey home put years on me!
Apart from the school thing I would like to get him up to scratch because then we could get out and about more. I just dont feel myself up to the task.

We're in Dudley. Does anyone know of any training possibilities in this area?
Si

Post by Si »

You could try the council cycling website:

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateCo ... ENU_ID=401

otherwise, I'm sure that PushBikes could point you in the right direction.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Thanks! I did try a search but managed not to dig that up.
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

You're lucky, I wish my 13 year old Son wanted to cycle to school, although he has started visiting his friends on his bike recently so at least that's encouraging !
diapason

Post by diapason »

Encourage him at all costs. Your LBS may know of training available in your area.

Good luck,

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
2Tubs

Re: My lad (13) wants to cycle to school...

Post by 2Tubs »

DaveP wrote:but he has no road sense whatsoever! This was confirmed recently after having to leave the towpath because of construction work. The journey home put years on me!
Apart from the school thing I would like to get him up to scratch because then we could get out and about more. I just dont feel myself up to the task.

We're in Dudley. Does anyone know of any training possibilities in this area?

Contact Dene Stevens at Sandwelll Primary Care Trust in Kingston House, High Street West Bromwhich.

PM or email me if you can't find contact details through Sandwell PCT and I'll look his number up.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Thanks for that, but we did manage to connect with a course in Dudley. Got him up to level 2, and we were supposed to get in a bit of praqctice before booking level 3 tuition. Unfortunately, a few days later, about a quarter mile from home on the return leg of a practice outing he managed a spectacular fall. The knee has only just healed up, and the bike isnt quite fixed...
But we're getting there, and although sometimes he has done things which pop my heart up into my mouth, he is much more focused and his entire approach has changed (as a result of the course, not the fall :lol: ).
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

i think the best way to learn is from experience!

...and to a point...from mistakes!

it sounds bad i know!! but he is 13years old, so im sure he has some common sense!

maybe try riding in front of him one day when your out together...& set agood example. if you do textbook cycling, ie looking over shoulder when moving around parked car, hand signals, courteous thanks to drivers...etc you might be surprised on what he picks up on!
120717anon

Post by 120717anon »

Three years ago I was a 13 year old cycling the round trip of 15miles a day to school!!

I am not sure about the route that he would take but the main problems I found was the horrid weather in the winter (bike lights needed)

I did not find that cars were much of a problem mainly due to most of the route being off road or on quiet roads although I found that there were a few gangs attempting to mug me for my bike - this was solved by cycling as fast as possible away from them!

I would just recommend a lot of practise and experience really, and as somebody else previously said "you learn from your mistakes"