My Dog.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
LANDSURFER74

My Dog.

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

My dog died today.
15 years of madcap fun .. and cleaning up the back garden.
All high hills in the peak district climbed ..sometimes he was carried back to the car!!
Hated water.
Which was strange realy as we are a water family .. and cycling ... of course...
Big strong alpha males are'nt supposed to cry .... but i am ... cant stop, ...
He was called " Corrie", it means "out of the mountains", I was on RAF Mountain Rescue for part of my life .. his name had meaning......
Buried comrades and did'nt cry .. but cant stop crying for my dog ... how wrong is that ....

"All of this will disappear, like tears in rain ...time to die"..............
Last edited by LANDSURFER74 on 19 Apr 2011, 9:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazydavid

Re: My Dog.

Post by crazydavid »

Really sorry to hear about your loss. They are not called man's best friend for nothing.

Take some time and think about getting another dog later on. Once you have had a dog, it's very difficult to live without one.
Ugly

Post by Ugly »

So sorry for you, soon as you feel it is right let another into your life there are so many dogs who need the love you are able to give
alicej

Post by alicej »

I'm so sorry. It's not right or wrong to cry or not cry, whatever happens just happens. Take it easy for a while, and be kind to yourself. Do you have any photos?
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

HEAPS AND LOADS ..of photos ...puppy to old man.. up hill and down dale ......
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

Sorry to hear about your dog. I know the feeling only too well. Went without a dog for about 18 months after my old Spaniel died.
Three months ago I rehomed a lovely German Short haired Pointer dog. Don't know how I managed without a dog now I have one again. You'll know when the time is right to get another.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Landsurfer

anyone who has/has had an animal as part of their family will be feeling for you. It doesn't matter what sort of pet - if you were fond of it, and especially if it had been a part of your life for many years, then you'll grieve for it as you would for a human. Hard to understand for those who've never had a pet, but all too familiar for those of us who have.

We lost our cat Ruby in November - she was 16. It was like losing a member of our family. Three weeks later we adopted two young cats from the Cats Protection League. They don't replace Ruby, but they bring lots of fun into our lives.

Give yourself time to grieve. Then remember that there are a lot of abandoned dogs out there who'd love to be part of your family as you are clearly someone with lots to offer a dog. When you are ready, offer a home to another dog who needs one.

Jan
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

Here's our handsom fella whom we re homed three months ago.
Jan 2011 030-2.jpg
Jan 2011 030-2.jpg (24.72 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Vereley

Post by Vereley »

So sorry to read of your loss, it has made my eyes water too. I feel sorry for those who can have no empathy with dogs because they are truly wonderful creatures. We lost our American Cocker, Paddy, and his partner in crime, Millie, was beside herself with grief along with all the family. We all cheered up after we rehomed 3 year old Phoebe (also American Cocker). All dogs are unique and irreplaceable, but it is a tribute to his memory not to wait too long before you to get another and start a new journey together.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We've had four dogs in our married life - all gone now, and I cried for each of them, especially the first.

Cats have gone too, our latest one - George - a stray that set up home with us last year and went to the vets yesterday. Massive tumour on his liver. I cried as I buried him in the garden.

Ain't no shame in crying.
Mick F. Cornwall
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I sometimes paint dogs for clients, and you're not alone in the way you feel about losing your dog. It certainly isn't anything you should feel embarrassed about, you should be proud and glad you had such a good relationship with him that you're missing him so much. In time you'll be happy when you remember him, as well as sad.
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

we never appriciated how lucky we where to have such a good dog.
friends and visitors would would comment on how he was such a 'good dog' how happy he was.
'corrie get out of the kitchen' and he would plod off.
'come back' and he would trot back.... Beagle owners, arn't you jelous!
loved the kids and grand kids .. despite being dressed up in 'super dog ' capes and goggles.

You don't realise what you've got until its gone!

We've stopped crying, had a sympathy card today from his vets in Rotherham, Crookes... recommended 5 * .. he was never ill, .. just the yearly jab for the kennels ... Sandy Lane Kennels and Hari in Chesterfield.. top kennels, he loved his holidays there !!

OK Nearly stopped crying ....lol ... :)

" The road goes on forever" ...