Found a perfect bike but afraid it is a wrong size. Help.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ara-the-bird

Found a perfect bike but afraid it is a wrong size. Help.

Post by ara-the-bird »

So I found this perfect bike, but it is 21" - mountain bike sizing.
I am between 5.7-5.8 tall. Do you think I can manage touring on the bike? the plan is to do a very long 4 months tour, from Netherlands to Iran that is around 8000km, it is going to be all self efficient. Which means the bike will be packed to its maximum capacity.

I have a very small budget so brand new bikes are out of question, a steel frame is essential, 26" wheels are preferred, but might get away with the 700c wheels.

I kinda know what the answers are gonna be, but are there any twigs I can do, to adjust the sizing? e.g shorter stem, different seat post etc.

I did a tour on a 19" before and found it to be perfect.
Cunobelin

Re: Found a perfect bike but afraid it is a wrong size. Help

Post by Cunobelin »

It is possible to "ride" a wide variety of bicycles, however riding comfortably is different. If you are touring then comfort over long periods is essential.

I suspect that if you are having to ask here then you subconsciously doubt that this bike is suitable
ara-the-bird

Post by ara-the-bird »

It is always to get advise from an outside point of view.

Right now what I am thinking is, I won't be able to get a bike that price and that good, therefore I can maybe adjust to fit my size.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Do you have a picture of this bike?

If 19 inches is perfect, you could have problems reaching the pedals on a 21-inch bike. You might mamage it by wobbling your pelves, which isn't a good idea for long distances.

A long reach to the bars would be more easily fixable.
ara-the-bird

Post by ara-the-bird »

This is the bike.
It is a mountain bike frame, so if you put the seat lower then u can reach the pedals no problemo.

http://www.santosbikes.com/index.php/en ... -26-cro-mo
531colin

Post by 531colin »

OK, you are 5' 8" tops.
The biggest size they make is going to have to fit tall blokes, and 6' 4" is not uncommonly tall these days.
That biggest size is 23"......do you really think a bike 2" smaller than the biggest is a good idea?
I am 5' 10" which is average height for blokes, taking all age groups into account, (lots of young women taller than me, these days) I would probably want a 19"...oh look, 19" is the middle size!
horizon

Post by horizon »

I have a very small budget so brand new bikes are out of question,

ara: what is your budget for the bike?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

ara-the-bird wrote:This is the bike.
It is a mountain bike frame, so if you put the seat lower then u can reach the pedals no problemo.

http://www.santosbikes.com/index.php/en ... -26-cro-mo

You can (and use shorter cranks) but you will be reaching up to the bars. Snibgo says the reach is fixable (i.e. with shorter stem) but it may still be too long.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
joegallus

Post by joegallus »

sounds like the perfect bike but the worng size!
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

In the good old days, people toured on all kinds of bikes. And some folk still do: penny-farthings, Choppers, whatever. However, 8000km is a long distance. I think you would be unwise to commit to using any particular bike without trying it first.

When are you going?
ara-the-bird

Post by ara-the-bird »

horizon wrote:
I have a very small budget so brand new bikes are out of question,

ara: what is your budget for the bike?

I can't spend more than £600, and I know those bikes cost brand new over £1500.

531colin wrote:OK, you are 5' 8" tops.
The biggest size they make is going to have to fit tall blokes, and 6' 4" is not uncommonly tall these days.
That biggest size is 23"......do you really think a bike 2" smaller than the biggest is a good idea?
I am 5' 10" which is average height for blokes, taking all age groups into account, (lots of young women taller than me, these days) I would probably want a 19"...oh look, 19" is the middle size!

That is not true, I used a 19" bike very comfortably during my trip and I did around 1500km all together.
snibgo wrote:In the good old days, people toured on all kinds of bikes. And some folk still do: penny-farthings, Choppers, whatever. However, 8000km is a long distance. I think you would be unwise to commit to using any particular bike without trying it first.

When are you going?

I completely agree, but don't have the facilities to try the bike. It is in Netherlands and there are no distributors for that bike in UK.
I think I am gonna give it a miss and continue looking for another second hand one. I always wanted a surly but they don't seem to come up as second hand this days.

I leave mid July, but cycling with a friend up to czech republic. She is a complete beginner, So we are gonna be making a very slow progress.
alicej

Post by alicej »

ara-the-bird wrote: I can't spend more than £600, and I know those bikes cost brand new over £1500.

You could get a very nice bike for £600, with everything you need, in the right size. It's not worth £1500 just because it's sold for that much elsewhere, especially if there's the chance that for you personally it'll give you backache, neck ache and wrist ache because it's not a good fit.

If you don't get this one, what are your alternatives? Let's compare this bike with others that you could get within your budget.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Well said alice.
bob simpson

Post by bob simpson »

It's a bit late now but my friend sold sold this bike for £640. it would have been a good fit for you and would have been capable of expedition touring without modification. It will be possible to get a bike that fits with in your budget.viewtopic.php?f=40&t=49341

Bob
horizon

Post by horizon »

It was a stunner and they don't come up that often.