Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bendo

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by Bendo »

Thanks for the confirmation, the info and the tips Busaste! The Victor has Sugino cranks, so when (if) the day comes when I need to replace the spindle, hopefully this one will be just the ticket.

b
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Started a totally frivolous blog about bikes, just because the world needs more blogs, and you all need more reasons to look at the screen. Actually I'm bored waiting for my frame to come back from the paint shop, so I am doing all my planning and fantasising online.

My wife couldn't believe how daggy (that's 'naff' to you Brits) the site address is...

http://feelofsteel.blogspot.com

comments of all kinds (except the juvenile kind... OK you're allowed to post '1st!' so long as you follow up with something more interesting) welcome.

b
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Oh no! I'm talking to myself! :P

Apols if this has been posted before (I don't think it has). Flickr user Stronglight has a Viscount road test scanned. It looks like it was reprinted as promotional material for the company. Four pages + back cover with specs of VA Pro G.P, VA Pro and VA Pro (tubular rims).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11910102@N08/1390082294

b
triitout

Post by triitout »

Greetings, I'm hoping to find a pair of top tube cable fasteners for my Aerospace Gran Touring bike. I've got a posting with pic back on 12/26/09. They were in bad shape when I did my rebuild and one just totally snapped today. If anyone has any extras that you can part with, please let me know what we can work out. I would hate to resort to bag ties! Thanks, Michael
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

I used these from Dia Compe on my Aerospace Pro - I've just chosen the first seller from Google, but my LBS had some in stock: http://www.bikeworldusa.us/CABLE-GUIDE- ... e=GB&id=uk

Bendo - you're blog's great! I really enjoyed reading the road test (although as a point of pride, was gutted to have to click twice to read it :( )
triitout

Post by triitout »

Thanks for the link Goldie. They look like a good match minus the Viscount logo and much better than a bag tie!
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Very nice Tony Doyle Viscount up for sale (pick up only) in Gillingham.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Viscount-Mens-Roa ... _887wt_999

Thanks for the kudos Goldie. DOn't worry, I have to double-click as well! 8^/

b
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Hmmm, tempting. My girlfriend only lives about 5 miles from Gillingham, resist, resist :lol:
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

She would definitely want you to have it :D
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

Hmmm, i am not sure she would. I already have several bikes and a car in her garage already.
photoall

Post by photoall »

I have a bkike with a viscount label on the front of the steering colum.
I would like to know about when this bike would of been made?
This is not like a english racer style bike .
the bike has large ballon tires and style seat like the 60's coasters bikes.
any information please email photoallisme@aol.com
thanks
al
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

hey photoall, how about some pics? b
photoall

Post by photoall »

I have a girls 24-26 inch ballon tire viscount bike
the bike has a seal on the front of the steering colum with a sky line and a large plane similar to a bomber.
the rear wheel hub says kemel P&S 55 m super d.r. p.-d.b'p . Made in Germany
the rear brake has kemel super.
the back of the seat says Lohman Made in Germany
and information on this viscount bikeand possible year greatly appreciated,
I have photos but don't know how to send them
email photoallisme@aol.com
thanks
al
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

When you click on post a reply scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is a tab that says upload attachment. Click it, there is then another panel that says 'browse' click that and select the photos from your computer, then you can submit them.
oldnick

Post by oldnick »

Bendo wrote:
oldnick wrote:
quiksilver wrote:I would keep it.

Thank you all for the replies. The knowledge here is fantastic.
I think I will take your advice. I will buy a pair of new tyres for it, clean and oil the chain and chain wheels and try to use it for a couple of evening pleasure rides a week. I haven't ridden it for twenty+ years but still remember enjoying the very few rides I had. Reminded me of when I was a school kid and also what it must be like to have a heart attack. The first ride, I got half way up a hill, stopped by a farm gate and hung over it trying to get enough air in to my lungs. By the third ride, I could get all the way up that hill without a problem. Trouble was on the return, some idiot car driver nearly knocked me off and I never rode it again. Let's hope I have better luck this time. Thanks again for the help.

One of the best posts in this thread! Make sure you come back with your impressions of your 'first' ride on your resurrected GP.

b

Well a few posts in this thread convinced me and I decided to keep and use the bike.
I guessed all the bearings etc. probably needed a re lube after those 20+ years storage. I cleaned and re lubed the chain, cassette and front chainwheels, all the ball bearings and every pivot. Then I decided to give it a spring clean so I stripped every moving part, polished all the bits of ally and re-assembled them with fresh lube. I polished the wheels, the spokes, the hubs, the gear mechanisms, brakes and levers, the mudguards and stays and all the nuts and bolts. I t-cut and polished the frame. The saddle was treated with hide food and black boot polish, a coat every evening for a couple of weeks. The original chromed steel pedals wouldn't polish up perfect so I purchased some NOS Loytard quill alloy pedals which are much better. I spent a lot of hours cleaning, greasing and oiling it but the result is I now have a thirty one year old bike that looks like it is a few months old. It is a testament to the quality of the bike that it has come up like a new 'un. It looks fantastic, everything shines like a tanner on a sweeps backside.
I took it for a short ride and the brakes were not great. I didn't realise this until we purchased a mountain bike for my missus. The brakes on that are unbelievable. I thought the original Shimano blocks had probably hardened over the thirty one years so I fitted some Kool Stop blocks (I've kept the old blocks in case I can find some new inserts and for originality). I now have brakes, they squeal a bit but I hope they'll stop as they bed in.
I fitted a new pair of Continental Ultra Sport 27" x 1 1/4" tyres, they look good and feel fine on a ride. I've also fitted a set of flashing LED lights.
The gearing is a bit high for me but I've managed to aquire an original SR Sakae crank puller and a new, unused 40 tooth SR chainwheel to replace the existing 42 tooth. It's only a 5% difference but it's the only one I could find. At £5 all in for the chain wheel, shipped from the USA, I reckon it's a steal. Do you think it will be a noticeable difference?
What really suprised me is how smooth this bike feels, it it so nice to ride. It has been so long since I last rode it, I'd forgotten. I've only ridden a few 2 -3 mile runs at the moment but I'm going to go a bit further each time until I can ride it anywhere. I am real pleased I didn't sell it.