Please identify my Campag Chainset/BB

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
steveparry

Please identify my Campag Chainset/BB

Post by steveparry »

I need a new bottom bracket for my circa 2000 Harry Hall - the old FAG one is creaking a bit. The chainset is a rather lovely Campag Triple but I don't know which one. Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveparry ... otostream/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveparry ... hotostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveparry ... otostream/

The FAG catalogue is here: http://www.schaeffler.com/remotemedien/ ... _de_en.pdf But I don't know which one to order! Or how to measure up the existing one. I don't have the tool to remove it but I do have an accurate ruler and calipers. I want a cheap but decent one. Would one of these do: http://www.dotbike.com/p/9121

Steve
mr riff raff

Re: Please identify my Campag Chainset/BB

Post by mr riff raff »

I reckon that's one of their MTB chainsets.
IIRC they didn't do another until 5-6 years ago and they weren't that style.
As for the BB, I'd be going for the Campag one and at a rough stab in the dark you'd be wanting a 115mm. It shows a Centaur one in the 2011 catalogue but you'd need a different tool to fit/remove than the FAG. If you want the same style but with metal cups, then you'll need the old Veloce/Mirage/Xenon model. Rocking horse excrement springs to mind. Maybe the odd Italian threaded off eBay if you're lucky, but in English?
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Of course now I typed all that blurb about the Campag not being available, Dotbike have two Veloce's in stock. :roll:
Last edited by mr riff raff on 21 Apr 2011, 8:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

GavinC

Post by GavinC »

Yep its one of their old MTB chainsets. I've got a Campagnolo Centaur MTB chainset just like it. The original cup and cone BB's for these had 124mm or 132mm axles and are pretty thin on the ground these days. But as mr riff raff says, the current Campag 115mm square taper bottom brackets are fine.

Gav
steveparry

Post by steveparry »

Great stuff, we're making progress. The chainset has a middle 38 tooth
ring which I thought odd. The BB is BSA (British) threaded identical to the one
shown on page 4 of the FAG info sheet I linked to. Perhaps I can estimate
it's length with a ruler. I think Sheldon Brown gave instructions on
measuring centre of down tube to middle ring and doubling it for spindle length.

Steve
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

Steve

I would say the only thing you need to measure is the distance between the outside edge of the driveside cup and the end of the spindle (L2 in the FAG info sheet). And make sure its an ISO taper and not JIS.

But why not just get a Campag 115mm bottom bracket? At less than £20, it's got to be less hassle than trying to find a suitable 3rd party solution?

Gavin
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

The inner ring of these Campag MTB chainsets was made of stainless steel, and you'll find that it's more or less indestructible. I have a 28 ring, originally from the Centaur (old MTB version) on a mountain bike, which I've subsequently recycled on two tourers. It's still not showing the slightest sign of wear after about 20 years. In their brief foray into MTB equipment Campag made components to last..... but the weight was prodigious.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

ChrisButch wrote:The inner ring of these Campag MTB chainsets was made of stainless steel.

Only some. I have three Campag MTB chainsets of various flavours, only one has stainless inner (24) and middle ring (36) all others are alloy throughout.

You are right about the stainless being virtually indestructible, mine have been in use since 1993. Even the alloy outers are tough. I've just retired the one (46) from 1993 although it has many miles left in it the chain slots are slightly elongated. Even if that machine did only 2000 miles a year that is still 36000 miles.
PW

Post by PW »

I think you'll find that the late model Campag square taper B/Bs use the same fitting tool as the FAG unit. The ones we have certainly do. I've fitted one to my 953 and another to the lad's roadbike.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!