togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GrahamNR17

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:Oh, my word. And all these similacra where obtained using a telephone? :shock: I think I need to step off this crazy, modern world :?

I know what you mean, Steve! :shock: But fear not, they make one for you too 8)

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Steve :wink:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote::D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Steve :wink:

See? Knew you'd be pleased. Just phone your provider and ask for the new Nokiev or Speed-dial-Graphic :wink:
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

Thanks for posting all the pictures folks. Today's togglechain ride for me was an out and return trip to the chilled alcohol section of my corner shop (0.4miles) followed by an afternoon sitting and sipping cool drinks in the sunshine in the back garden. I forgot to take my camera with me. I may have cured the slipping second gear on my four speed by taking a dog ring and spring set from a spare hub. I think the 0.4 mile test ride is possibly a little short to be completely confident in the hub yet.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

steve browne wrote: I forgot to take my camera with me.

:lol:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Roadster handlebars, the sort for rod brakes that have two loops on each side of the bar; anyone know how the loop bits are fixed on, and whether it's possible to remove them?

TIA 8)
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Roadster handlebars, the sort for rod brakes that have two loops on each side of the bar; anyone know how the loop bits are fixed on, and whether it's possible to remove them?

TIA 8)

If they're not the obviously brazed on type, they do unscrew, Graham. They have a shaped plate behind them with a captive nut - a real tinker to get re-attached, but it passes the time and is a bit more satisfying than those games where you try to get the ball bearings in the right hole or climb a spiral ramp :P They can be quite tight as they have obviously got to be turned to a horizontal position no matter where the threads want to stop :roll:

Steve
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

as steve says. it's certainly possible to unscrew them. but how would you ever get it to screw back into the (loose) captive nut? i know i couldn't :lol:
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

You could probably hold the nut inside the handlebar using endoscopic instruments, possibly something for fetching stones out of kidneys. There may be a combined renal surgery/cycle maintenance instrument set!
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

steve browne wrote:You could probably hold the nut inside the handlebar using endoscopic instruments, possibly something for fetching stones out of kidneys. There may be a combined renal surgery/cycle maintenance instrument set!

I find the concept that a device designed for renal surgery could hold onto your nuts more than a little disturbing. Some of the off-road sections I took HGF along on Saturday's ride did convert the bike into a device for loosening nuts of all types and rattling kidneys however :oops:

Note to self - suspension or wheels bigger than 26 inch required :roll: (plan B already being executed :P )

Had a pleasant, if rather chilly ride out today. SWMBO was visitng the gardens at Burton Agnes Hall, near Bridlington, so self and eldest daughter hitched a lift and cycled the 31 miles home along cycle routes 1, 65 and 66. A northerly wind helped speed us on our merry way. Very few other cyclists about - what's wrong with 'em all? There's supposed to be a surge in cycling going on.

Steve
robc02

Post by robc02 »

hubgearfreak wrote:as steve says. it's certainly possible to unscrew them. but how would you ever get it to screw back into the (loose) captive nut? i know i couldn't :lol:

Drill a small hole next to the loops - it should also go through/into the captive nut - then fill with weld, that should do it.

Alternatively just braze them back on - assuming you are going to paint or rechrome them anyway.

I wonder how these things were fitted originally? Presumably before the bars were bent?
robc02

Post by robc02 »

My daughter and I did a mini toggle chain tour this afternoon. Just a couple of hours taking in some very quiet Staffordshire lanes, the sort you often go past and wonder where they lead. It's her last day at home before returning to Uni, what better way to spend part of it?

Here are the bikes at the end of it (didn't think to take the camera on the ride). The red bike is my Mom's 1980 ish Viking rebuilt, after an accident, with 700c rims and now fitted with 28mm tyres, Shimano dynohub and B&M LED lights.

Viking&Humber.JPG
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Superb, thanks chaps :D I don't want to screw them back on, I just need a pair of those handlebars on a bike I'm fettling but I want reverse-lever cable brakes, the sort where the cable goes through the bars and out of a convenient hole :D The other hole I'll leave the loop in and come up with a cunning use for it 8) So thanks, you've made what I assumed would be a PITA a very easy prospect. :mrgreen:

As for Doc Browne and his implements :shock: When I had one of me nadgers removed last year, I'm glad he wasn't involved - he'd have come at me with a stonkin' great Whitworth ring spanner*** :shock:

*** No jokes about bum surgery, please :roll:
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote:he'd have come at me with a stonkin' great Whitworth ring spanner*** :shock:

A 1/4 inch Whitworth hardly qualifies as 'stonkin', Graham :roll: You'll be telling us that is would need to have been a King Dick next :lol:

Steve
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:he'd have come at me with a stonkin' great Whitworth ring spanner*** :shock:

A 1/4 inch Whitworth hardly qualifies as 'stonkin', Graham :roll: You'll be telling us that is would need to have been a King Dick next :lol:

Steve

I 'ad it replaced with a Snap-on. Anyway, you're all torque :wink: