is it implausible?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
gibson_hero

is it implausible?

Postby gibson_hero » 26 Apr 2011, 9:32pm

Hello folks,

my wife and i are planning jogle for august this year. Were doing a 1000mile b road route spread over 14 days. We're not massively fit, but we recently cycled two consecutive 60mile days which, apart from a little chafing and swearing we managed. Were in a cycle club and everyone seems to think that its impossible. Theres 15 weeks til we ride, so heres the million dollar question. Is it possible, and how many miles should we be doing in training, bearing in mind that we both work full time jobs!!

Any advice/encouragement would be much appreciated!!

Big T

Re: is it implausible?

Postby Big T » 26 Apr 2011, 10:04pm

Certainly a challenge but doable. Me and my wife did it in 18 days. You'll probably need to do an extra hour a day to make up the extra mileage. We averaged 60 miles a day, you'll need to do closer to 80. We tended to have a lazy start, setting off at 9.30, stopping for lunch and riding til about 5 o clock most days.

Training wise, ride as much as you can. commute to work and do an extended ride home, or go out in the evenings. Try to ride both saturday and Sunday if you can. Aim for at least 150 miles a week. You could do it on less, but you'll get more tired and tiredness builds up over the days when doing Lejog.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 26 Apr 2011, 10:06pm

If you intend concentrating on the riding, no rest days, etc., then the target is 70+ miles on 14 consecutive days. As you already know what cycling 60 miles involves, you are nearly there already, although you must have doubts to be posting like this on here.

I'd say, get as many miles in as you can between now and then. Keep an accurate diary, including all decisions on whether to ride on particular days. After a month or so, review the diary. If it records riding at nearly every opportunity, you will romp home, so long as you keep it up between now and August. If it's full of excuses for not going out on this day or that, it might be better to look for another project.

gibson_hero

Postby gibson_hero » 26 Apr 2011, 10:23pm

Thanks. Its not doubts, just negativity from the people around us! We feel like its possible, but were being told a lot that its not. Noone seems to be able to give concrete advice on how to train for the event. Also, any tips on recovery for between days would be good. Weve got recovery shakes which seem to help after long rides, whether its psycosomatic or not is debateable...

cmlstratton

Postby cmlstratton » 26 Apr 2011, 11:18pm

If you want to do it, believe you can do it then you will do it! If you don't you won't.

I'm 54 and shall be doing a JOGLE in July, didn't start training that long ago and have already managed a couple of 100m rides. Just done a 70 @ 15+mph average so my advice is don't listen t the negativity and have some self belief. Many a LEJOG'er / JOGLE'r has written 90% of it is in the mind on this forum.

Best tip I can give is buy good quality (brands = Skins or 2XU) compression tights to wear for 3-4hrs after you post ride shower/bath = a tip given to me by Michael / Cycloret and I owe him a beer or two for that one. After my 1st 1000miler with 6,000ft climbing I had no muscle ache the next day.

Good luck

irc

Postby irc » 26 Apr 2011, 11:30pm

Yes it's possible. I did LeJog on a training base of 120 miles per week commuting with the odd longer ride. The longest was 70 miles. I never did as much as two consectutive 60 mile rides.

The first week was hard. The second week was fairly easy. I took 13 days. Don't forget that unlike training you are not having to fit the cycling round everyday life. It is the life. Get up ride new roads, eat and sleep. You will have the advantage of sharing the work if you get headwinds.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

cycloret

Postby cycloret » 27 Apr 2011, 12:26am

No question it's not just a physical thing, you need to be determined. I found some bits were boring, some exhilarating and some parts a big grind -mostly in Scotland. My advice is to get some testing rides in now to boost your confidence and dispel doubts.

I managed over 1040miles in 17 days during my Lejog last year but I did have the benefit of my wife transporting our luggage. I had gone on regular training rides beforehand so was moderately confident I had it in me. This didn't stop me feeling apprehensive as I cycled away from Lands End. I cycled up every hill though I would sometimes stop for a drink at the top. Most days I started out around 9.30am and arrived about 4pm but I didn't stop for lunch nor to buy my daily food.
Michael's 2010 LEJOG
http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/index. ... &Itemid=93

gibson_hero

Postby gibson_hero » 27 Apr 2011, 7:27am

cmlstratton wrote:
Best tip I can give is buy good quality (brands = Skins or 2XU) compression tights to wear for 3-4hrs after you post ride shower/bath

Thats great advice, cheers. Id thought about compression stuff, Ive got a compression ss base layer top, but wasnt going to bother with tights as I wasnt sure they were worth bothering with. Im wearing base layers all day, and I thought tights would be too hot, but I never thought of wearing them after the ride.

Thanks very much guys.

Next stage is putting miles in. We're doing just under 100miles a week at the mo with our bike club, so we're going to try and push that to double over the next 2 weeks. We both have a week off work in June, so we're going to try and push for over 400 miles that week. If we can manage that without injuring ourselves or our marraige I think we're going to manage it!

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 27 Apr 2011, 7:57am

What I was trying to get across is that a substantial part of distance cycling is about what's going on in your head. This is particularly true once you have achieved a certain level of fitness. In this case, once you have done 60 miles, you know that it's not gong to be much more to ride 70. I'd go so far as to say that if you had a century ride under your belt, the big advantage would be a psychological one ie if we can do 100 in a day, 70 will be no sweat.

It seems to me that at the time of the photoshoot on the start line, riders are either champing at the bit, full of anticipation, rarin' to go, or they are worrying - especially if they usually give it a miss when it's raining, windy, or if there's something good on the telly.

I'd suggest there's no perfect training programme because what is needed is getting used to the idea of sitting on a bike for most of the day, every day for a fortnight, or whatever. The more miles somebody has got in, the less they are going to dwell on it. I'd take little convincing that in physical terms, plenty of short rides, pushing as fast as possible, would achieve as much or more than riding all day. OTOH, longer rides convince somebody they can do it and help them to understand what works best for them. Eg, some riders find it helpful to break a day's riding into manageable chunks - something that is an utter no-no for me.

Mike G

Postby Mike G » 27 Apr 2011, 9:54am

If you think you'll be fine, then you'll be fine. Get away from that bunch of nay-sayers quickly..........because the advice you have been given here is absolutely spot on. This ride is a mental challenge first and foremost, and the physical challenge is secondary. You've plenty of time to get yourself fit enough, and you don't need people telling you that you can't do it. There are plenty of fat, unfit 60 year olds who have done end-to-ends.

Have a read of my Lejog report from last year (link below). We took 3 days more than you are planning, but mainly so that we could visit friends, relatives and the Edinburgh festival. We faced headwinds almost all of the way........yet physically, although testing, it was straightforward enough that if we had the time we could have turned around at J O'G and ridden back home, or back to LE.

Mike

ferrit worrier

Postby ferrit worrier » 27 Apr 2011, 9:03pm

The simple answer to the question, No. It is a mental challenge as well as a physical one. Many end to enders will tell you that the first couple of days are the worst, this is while you settle into the ride. once your happy doing 60,70,80, miles a day go for it and enjoy it. Then when you get back it's Yarboo sucks to those who doubted :lol: watch how they will melt into the background!
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.

PW

Postby PW » 30 Apr 2011, 1:15pm

I did a half ride in 2009, but over 830 miles with camping gear down the west coast and the Pennines in 14 days. First thing was that I cadged a lift to JOG and rode home alone, that way you have to keep going. Secondly I started at 50 miles per day and worked up to 75 in 3 day instalments, my normal riding was around 130/week at that time. I set off 7-8 ish, (I did try earlier but I don't do mornings very well!) and made sure I ate well and stayed hydrated. Build cafe stops into the schedule. It's nice to have sightseeing targets and certain challenges on the way, one of mine being the Bealach Na Ba, Ullapool's live music pub schene was another :oops: :lol:
I found that I got stronger on this regime. The last day I set off from Reeth at the N end of the Dales, enjoyed the Aysgarth and Buckden Pike sections, then got bored as the scenery flattened out near Gargrave. "Blow it I'm going home" - or words to that effect and at 2-30 am I rolled into Chesterfield with 115 miles under the belt.
Enjoy it.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

horizon

Postby horizon » 3 May 2011, 10:43pm

gibson_hero wrote:Hello folks,

Is it possible, and how many miles should we be doing in training

Training to me always implies fitness, but as thirdcrank says, it's being on the bike that counts. Saddle soreness is the biggest threat IMV followed by a bike-specific injury such as a tendon, followed by fatigue. I don't know why your cycle club friends say it is impossible - it clearly isn't - but they may not have mentioned cycling several days in the rain day after day, getting on the bike in the morning the day after doing some hills or simply slogging your way through the miles. In fact, they probably don't know the half of it! We've just done our Easter 300 mile trip: fitness, no problem - Mrs H's Achilles tendon - well, that was a close run thing!
Let's just get Brexit done so that we can get on with the important job of re-joining the EU!

Milfred Cubicle

Postby Milfred Cubicle » 20 May 2011, 10:48pm

Do you WANT to do it? If yes, then 15 weeks is ample time to prepare. I'm not saying it will be a breeze, but more than possible. I'd recommend forgetting about 'big' mileages, and concentrate on spending as much time on the bike as possible. If you can fit in riding your daily average at least once a week, that would be a big help. Then build it up to riding 10-20% more than what you expect to cover each day.
Another idea, if you have panniers, is to load them up with suitably heavy gear, and find a few hills. Even an hour or two every week doing this will make a difference. I've found that whilst you do need to get some miles in, quality of preparation is as important as quantity.
As somebody has already said, get away from the doom-mongers! If you have a bad moment (you probably will), it's their voices you will hear trying to convince you it was all a bad idea. The less time you spend picking up negative ideas the better. Good luck!

kyussmondo

Postby kyussmondo » 31 May 2011, 6:28pm

It is achievable. I recently did my first 100 miler and have done plenty of 60 milers before that and can safely say that the 100 miler wasn't a lot different to the 60-70 milers. Once you get going then you soon eat up the miles and you get into a rhythm. Usually every 30 miles or so I find myself needing to stop for an energy boost (a Mars Bar usually does the trick) and that will get me the next 30 with relative ease. Just make sure you drink plenty, replace the energy burned and I think you will be fine. I guess I am 25 so I do have a slight advantage over some! :p I also like to set out early. I am an early bird anyway but I feel like it means I end the day earlier and if I do have any problems then a wasted hour or something won't completely put me off track.

Use the negatives that people throw at you as motivation to prove them wrong.