New Conservatory Confusion.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Edwards

New Conservatory Confusion.

Post by Edwards »

I inherited some money from my mothers estate and it was decided that we would use some of this money for a Conservatory.
Now I have a real concern, my beautiful considerate understanding wife. Has started to call the thing "Your bike workshop".
Am I right to be worried ? or should I just be grateful.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
horizon

Re: New Conservatory Confusion.

Post by horizon »

It's for conserving bikes.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I think you're wrong. Kitchens are traditional bike workshops, conservatories are for displaying the fruits of your labour. A sort of 'mantlepiece' for bikes...
horizon

Post by horizon »

kwackers wrote:I think you're wrong. Kitchens are traditional bike workshops...

I've just forwarded that as a gentle reminder to Mrs H. :mrgreen:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

You can not get a bike in our kitchen so I use the living room. I have been informed the kitchen is going to get done by me.
The good lady has already picked a chair for me out there, so kind.
Keith Edwards
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I use the spare bedroom, or the decking outside if the weather's sunny.

We don't have a conservatory ..........
Mick F. Cornwall
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Mick F wrote:We don't have a conservatory

We do not yet but starting at £3000 including the steel framed floor, it seems like a good idea for our small house.
Somebody wants a bed in the spare bedroom. :|
Keith Edwards
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

kwackers wrote:I think you're wrong. Kitchens are traditional bike workshops, conservatories are for displaying the fruits of your labour. A sort of 'mantelpiece' for bikes...

Kwackers Err in drawers must have read that, it is now called "Her conservatory". The reason given is "it looks to nice you did to good a job". I did not even manage to get one bike in.

I have been told I can use the kitchen if I change it around and fit new cupboards.

My stress levels have gone through the roof, am back to getting up at stupid o'clock as I can not sleep. Plus got told off by the doctor for not riding the bike enough.

I can not believe how long it takes me to do things, especially as I forget what I am supposed to be doing part way through. Concentration levels have improved as it is now up to 1 hour before I am exhausted from thinking.

I am going out on my bike today no matter how I feel.
Keith Edwards
Punk_shore

Post by Punk_shore »

Have been through the design exercise and decided that the best place to put a conservatory is where the garage currently stands. Have built an extra driveway, just in case I need another garage. 8)
The present problem is how to clear the birds' nests from the loft, so that I can board some of it out. :roll:
Any suggestions please:?:
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Will sunlight not fade the paint? I suggest venetian blinds.
jonty
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Punk Shore
You will unfortunately have to wait until any chicks have left the nest. Then put up some nest boxes outside near where they get in, then remove any nests and block up the holes.
As you already have the garage with it's associated planning permission it might not be that good an idea to remove it completely.
Can you not replace the large door with windows and add other ones to the side. If you want a plastic roof you could make a feature of the roof beams with Matt black paint and save on the cost of roofing bars by not needing self supporting ones.
Remember for a conservatory not to need planning permission there are some funny rules.

Jonty I wanted roller blinds in my bike workshop. Somebody want vertical blinds in her conservatory. I have spent 2 days trying to fit the stupid things and am still struggling to cut them to size. When I take one apart I forget what I have done and even with another one to copy next to it I still assemble it wrong. My Teddy Bears are getting lots of cuddles.
Keith Edwards
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I must be very lucky then? I built a new conservatory over the winter and it's fully operational and I did the second bike clean just a few days ago. The first bike clean was on my good lady's bike as her request, so precedence set then! That's tandem riding for you - mutual interests (but not mutual bike maintenance).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

bikes4two wrote:The first bike clean was on my good lady's bike as her request, so precedence set then! That's tandem riding for you - mutual interests (but not mutual bike maintenance

We have the mutual interest in riding bikes, I am the one that cleans and maintains all of them. I am still outside doing so having lost the patio.
All I wanted was a roof the be dry.
Keith Edwards
Punk_shore

Post by Punk_shore »

[quote=]"wait until any chicks have left the nest." Keith Edwards

It's OK Keith, the birds all left when the roof was fixed in November. Have cleared most of the nesting materials and am proceeding with the woodwork. :)

Regarding the garage conversion, have found a building technician who says it is "do-able" from a planning viewpoint. The tricky part might be in negotiating a party wall agreement, as the house is link-detached. :? Thank you for your concern.

Am thinking of adding a Monday cycle-for-all to the existing Thursday one. It's nice to work outside for a change. :wink:
What is the colour(s) of your cycle?
Which of its benefits would you recommend?
Please lookup the Bicycle Renewal Programme, linked to the website button beneath "Santa's Little Helper" cartoon.