Why tricycle when you can bicycle??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hercule

Re: Why tricycle when you can bicycle??

Post by hercule »

I've got two upright trikes and two 'bent trikes - three deltas and one tadpole.

Why? Because I can, and more particularly because others can't - it does give me a small feeling of superiority to see confident and faster cyclists than me try the upright trikes only to find things not working as they had anticipated on the first bend... :twisted: Cornering on the upright trikes is great fun, the whole machine requires more concentration and skill to ride fast than a bike. I don't find potholes that much of a problem, you can "skip" a wheel over them with practice. Near zero speed manouvers are easy, even reversing. Plus I can track stand at traffic lights indefinitely and take off faster than bicyclists.

Reasons for bent trikes are very different - very relaxed, very comfortable, a widescreen view of the countryside, traffic gives you a wide berth. The bent trikes are my default mode of transport for long rides now. They may be slower, but that's all the better for appreciating their advantages. Except for downhill - my downhill speed record was done on a 'bent trike.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Out this Sunday for a trundle around the Southdowns in my car when coming in the opposite direction near Cocking, a group of cyclists, one being a tandem (if that is the right word). Set me thinking for the rest of the ride home; why would you want to ride a bike? I can only think of disadvantages...aren't they unstable? (last time I rode one I think I was 5 and I still have the scars to prove the lack of stability). Isn't there more effort involved than driving? All those hills, wind resistance, difficulty with safe parking, storage problems? The only possible advantage I can think of is that, if you have a puncture, you could possibly push it home instead of having to call the RAC!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

drossall wrote:Out this Sunday for a trundle around the Southdowns in my car when coming in the opposite direction near Cocking, a group of cyclists, one being a tandem (if that is the right word). Set me thinking for the rest of the ride home; why would you want to ride a bike? I can only think of disadvantages...aren't they unstable? (last time I rode one I think I was 5 and I still have the scars to prove the lack of stability). Isn't there more effort involved than driving? All those hills, wind resistance, difficulty with safe parking, storage problems? The only possible advantage I can think of is that, if you have a puncture, you could possibly push it home instead of having to call the RAC!

:mrgreen:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
drossall

Post by drossall »

flat tyre wrote:...one being a tandem (if that is the right word)...

By the way, yes it is, assuming that the riders were sitting one behind another.

"Tandem" means "at length", or "at last", so a tandem cycle is one with two or more riders seated in line astern. It doesn't matter how many wheels it has.

However, if two or more riders are seated next to each other, then it is a sociable - again, the number of wheels is not the point.