CHANGER LEVERS FOR DAWES JAGUAR

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
spanner

CHANGER LEVERS FOR DAWES JAGUAR

Post by spanner »

I have a dawes jaguar frameset which has been a pending project for over a year now and want to get it on the road this year
the problem i have is finding the correct the braze on bosses on the frame are square and cant find the correct ones i need
to fit the bosses i know huret ones dont fit neither do shimano(both round holes)
any help would be much appreciated im not in a tearing hurry to get a pair as ive a pair of wheels to build for it before i can start building it up
ive got the other parts though still have to look through my bike parts for brake levers and brake units.
gaz

Re: CHANGER LEVERS FOR DAWES JAGUAR

Post by gaz »

IIRC Mrs gaz borrowed a friend's Jaguar for a few months before deciding to buy a Super Galaxy. I never had cause to take off the down tube gear levers but I can't imagine the braze-ons were anything other than standard. There's a chance that they were Suntour rather than Shimano or Huret, for that matter they may have been band-on.

All the downtube lever braze-ons I've seen have a square base with a round boss attached.

Any chance of a pic?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
spanner

Post by spanner »

Thanks for the info never thought of suntour being a possibility though they could be shimano possibly? as my dawes sterling has shimano gears but the levers are bandon not braze ons
i will have to do another trawl through my bike spares and see what i can come up with in the way of levers as this is the only thing preventing me from getting on with building the bike up only alternative would be to fit band on levers until such time i get the correct levers
531colin

Post by 531colin »

SunTour levers are the same fitting as Shimano and Campag, (and Benelux and Simplex, come to that), as Gaz says a square boss and a round shaft.
I think somebody like Huret used a round shaft of smaller diameter?

There is a separate piece that goes on the square boss, with Shimano it has a tab that locates the indexing mechanism, otherwise it locates the friction mechanism, the lever itself has a round hole.
Spanner, we need a photo of your fitting!
spanner

Post by spanner »

531colin wrote:SunTour levers are the same fitting as Shimano and Campag, (and Benelux and Simplex, come to that), as Gaz says a square boss and a round shaft.
I think somebody like Huret used a round shaft of smaller diameter?

There is a separate piece that goes on the square boss, with Shimano it has a tab that locates the indexing mechanism, otherwise it locates the friction mechanism, the lever itself has a round hole.
Spanner, we need a photo of your fitting!

cant seem to get a photo to upload have sent u a pm
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Does this help?
Shimano bosses and fittings:-
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 609217.pdf
You'll never know if you don't try it.
spanner

Post by spanner »

cycleruk wrote:Does this help?
Shimano bosses and fittings:-
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 609217.pdf

the frame bosses are the same as on my frame question now is where do i get a pair of levers as per the illustration
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

SJS:-
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifter ... e-dept831/

As far as I know the square adapter part always comes with them.

Other shops sell them or even maybe Ebay.
Some downtube shifters have a friction setting but not all.

Do you know whether you want friction or ratchet and how many rear sprockets?
You could also go to STI or Ergo levers which include brakes and shifter combined.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/find/?n ... ers&page=1

In which case you would need downtube stops for the cable outer ends..
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-allo ... -prod5511/
You'll never know if you don't try it.
spanner

Post by spanner »

im sure i have a pair of either shimano or suntour levers on a band on the shimano ones on my dawes sterling are like the levers on an mtb and can be friction or indexed and am sure i have a pair like that spare which might fit the gear bosses.
the freewheel is shimano 14-28 with sora front and rear mechs and a triple chainwheel
havent had a look for the levers yet but will get into one of the sheds and have a good hunt for levers
531colin

Post by 531colin »

8 speed/friction Shimano RX 100 downtube shifters for braze on bosses, complete, hardly used, £15 posted, if you like! (probably index OK for 7 speed, too)
Simples! :wink:
spanner

Post by spanner »

its a 6 speed block i have 14-28t with sora front and rear mechs and triple chainset which i bought from spa cycles last year
gaz

Post by gaz »

spanner wrote:cant seem to get a photo to upload have sent u a pm
Picture.jpg
Looks standard to me.

Incidentally, in case you don't know, if you take band-on levers off of their band they will not fit on to a brazed fitting.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
spanner

Post by spanner »

gaz wrote:
spanner wrote:cant seem to get a photo to upload have sent u a pm
Picture.jpg
Looks standard to me.

Incidentally, in case you don't know, if you take band-on levers off of their band they will not fit on to a brazed fitting.

problem solved found a pair of band on huret levers which are the same as those on my peugeot aspin racer which has braze on gear bosses and they fitted the braze on bosses on the jaguar ok as it has the square plate that goes on then the lever with the tag locating into the hole into the plate behind the lever the boss needs cleaned up a bit to make the lever move easier but other than that its ok
also found a pair of weinmann sidepulls and a pair of handlebars with brake levers which are also weinmann