natural breaks

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Si

natural breaks

Post by Si »

Just out of curiosity, do you find that on a recumbent you have to take more pee stops than on an upright?
UpWrong

Re: natural breaks

Post by UpWrong »

I haven't really noticed. However since I find a DF is harder work it's more likely that I will get dehydrated on the DF and not feel a need to stop for a wee.
byegad

Post by byegad »

As a 59 year old I've learnt to never pass up the chance to pee. I drink a lot of water on a ride and usually need to stop for a 'comfort break' once every 80 minutes or so. This hasn't changed since 2008 when i stopped riding two wheels and only ride recumbent trikes.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
hercule

Post by hercule »

My personal answer is "not really" but if the OP is noticing a difference it might be a postural issue. In my diving days bladder demands were an ever present issue (not an easy thing to solve in a full wetsuit, or worse, a drysuit!) I was told by the "old hands" that it had to do with pressure and posture. Unless you are riding at the bottom of the sea the former is less likely to be an issue, but the laid back posture may well be encouraging your kidneys to produce more. All this is ancedote, however, and I will defer to anyone with hard data... Dare I also say that your average recumbent rider is often past the first flush of youth and so (for males anyway) prostate issues do become more common!
byegad

Post by byegad »

hercule wrote:My personal answer is "not really" but if the OP is noticing a difference it might be a postural issue. In my diving days bladder demands were an ever present issue (not an easy thing to solve in a full wetsuit, or worse, a drysuit!) I was told by the "old hands" that it had to do with pressure and posture. Unless you are riding at the bottom of the sea the former is less likely to be an issue, but the laid back posture may well be encouraging your kidneys to produce more. All this is ancedote, however, and I will defer to anyone with hard data... Dare I also say that your average recumbent rider is often past the first flush of youth and so (for males anyway) prostate issues do become more common!

Cruel, but sadly true! :(
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Si

Post by Si »

My problem is that I've had to reasons to be off the bike for the last year and a half - kidney problems and neck problems. The latter still keeps me off uprights for moderate to long rides, so I can't tell if the increased need to stop for pees is down to the bent position or a hanger-on from the kidney problem! Wonder if I can fit two camel backs to the 'bent?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Wrong question?

If you are peeing less or more it is t do with fluid uptake rather than the bike profile.

It may be you are sweating less and hence more bladder excretion?
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Dunno, as I never go that far on a DF bike these days :lol:
However, there have been a few times that, just after a recumbent ride, I do need to go NOW :!:
(There was a thread on BROL about this a while back.)
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

squeaker wrote:Dunno, as I never go that far on a DF bike these days :lol:
However, there have been a few times that, just after a recumbent ride, I do need to go NOW :!:
(There was a thread on BROL about this a while back.)

Change of position, increased pressure on different spot on the bladder - sensation of urgency...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Si

Post by Si »

Change of position, increased pressure on different spot on the bladder - sensation of urgency...

Yep, this is what I was wondering - given that I might be especially sensitive to such things while recovering from the surgery!
ademora

Post by ademora »

I think its more down to the reclined position, on a DF can go most of the day even with drinking a lot, since moving over to a recumbent on the Trike maybe every hour or so, interesting on a the grasshopper with the bodylink seat almost back the the same frequency as the DF.
Hp Grasshopper
Ice Vortex
Claud Butler Touring Bike
Birdy & Brompton Folders
Paul M

Post by Paul M »

There may be something in it. However if I take the effort level and temperature into account I can normally judge a sipping rate that must just about replace sweat. That seems to prevent de-hydration , but I've wondered whether it's really a better idea biochemically to keep the fluid 'throughput'.

Another aspect to this is that sportifive times are recorded regardless. Not only will stops at 30 minute intervals add up to a bit of delay, but more importantly if your with a group at a suitable pace you'll lose touch and have to work flat out to rejoin.