Caravan Club and cyclists with tents!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hondated

Re: Caravan Club and cyclists with tents!

Post by hondated »

When dad and I use to go caravaning back in the day we used this,

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=26786

Not really but what an idea.
AndrewLee

Post by AndrewLee »

Thanks Simon - have done so and got conflicting views so I thought I would ask members here. Overwhelming opinion is in favour of the C&CC with which I concur - its just I have found few other places to stay in reasonable distance from my training venues.
Life's too short not to be on your bike.
AndrewLee

Post by AndrewLee »

Have considered a tent on top of a bob trailer!
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

Alternatively anyone got any suggestions for sites in riding distance of South Croydon or Central Brighton?

There's a great little site in Small Dole (about 15 miles out of Brighton on the Downs Link). £3 a night if you're on bike. Might not be too convenient if you need to be in Brighton itself. Alternatively, I live in Brighton in a shared house a couple of miles from the centre. I doubt my house mates would mind if you pitched your tent in the garden. Let me know what you think.

On the subject of Caravan Club sites, there's nothing more annoying than turning up at one at the end of a long day's ride and being turned away. Happened to me more than once :x
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

AndrewLee wrote:Have considered a tent on top of a bob trailer!

Here you are
JohnCKirk

Post by JohnCKirk »

AndrewLee

Post by AndrewLee »

At last! A credible alternative solution! Brilliant - Bless Yannick!
bornagaincyclist

Post by bornagaincyclist »

I recently camped at 3 Caravan Club sites during my trip from St. Davids to Lowestoft. The owners at all three were kind to me and clearly did not want to turn me away. The problem is sometimes to do with planning permission - one in Thetford Forest mentioned this explicitly. I guess caravans have their own toilets etc.
One was in Cold Ashby, Northamptonshire (5pounds), another in Fritton (Suffolk) had no problem with tents and even said "We are just going to get Fish and Chips would you like us to get you some too" an unrefusable offer, and the other said that if the inspectors call you have to say you are our personal guest this was Little Lodge farm a beautiful site IMO. The tent area was on the banks of the Little Ouse.
Sunset and sunrise pictures below...Image
Hope this helps,
Terry
AndrewLee

Post by AndrewLee »

Wow what brilliant photos! I think you've hit on the essence of this in that faced with a fellow human in need common decency and generosity will always prevail. I have to admit that I have much more experience of this when hitching when I was a student. When you throw yourself on the kindness of strangers you never get let down.