Bike Insurance

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
lackofgrip

Bike Insurance

Post by lackofgrip »

I'm after a policy for bike insurance as I've just bought a new full carbon fibre bike, so don't want to be out of pocket if I come off or damage it.

Could anyone recommend a good insurer?????

Regards

Lackofgrip
Previous :- Raleigh Burner,Grifter,Chopper,Activator, Claude Butler Rock, Carrera TDF, Focus Cayo, T30 Hybrid, Planet X Team Alu, TREK 1.5, Specialized Rockhopper SL, Raleigh Medale Fixie, Pro Carbon TT
Current :- CUBE Peloton Race, Planet X Kaffenback 2
[XAP]Bob

Re: Bike Insurance

Post by [XAP]Bob »

My house insurance covers accidental damage...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Where ever you buy. Read the small print! Expect to pay over 10% of the bike's value as an annual premium.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I have looked at a few bike insurance firms and found that the conditions of use made the policy worthless. I was looking for theft and damage cover but the restrictions about where to keep the bike, how to lock it etc. etc. were just silly. If you have a nice lightweight carbon fibre bike you will not wish to lug a heavy shackle lock around. As for damage, then do read the very small print. Insurance policies are written for the benefit of the insurance companies not for the users.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

FWIW I've recently rotted my brain looking at alternatives for house contents and separate cover for two bikes and a cargo trike (total replacement cost over £5K), and the clear winner is Marks and Sparks contents, as part of which the bikes are covered without a premium loading.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

I'm in the process of looking at insurance as well and so far ETA appear to be coming out as the front runner (https://www.eta.co.uk/insurance/cycle) - they have thing like taxi fare home or to your destination in the event of a breakdown included as well as the best death benefits (god forbid)
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

As others have said, cycle specific insurance seems to carry an awfull lot of small print, especially regarding the lock you have to use - at home as well as out and about! So read carefully. You also need to decide if the ultra lightweight carbon fibre beauty you have is worth being compromised by the Gold standard locks you may have to use to keep the insurance in place. I have my bike on my house insurance which seemed the best bet, and always worth checking out. I've compromised the "new for old" policy on basis I can have more sensible choices of lock on my various travels.

Otherwise, ETA seem one of the better of the small print brigade!
lackofgrip

Post by lackofgrip »

Thanks for all your replies people it's been a great help
Previous :- Raleigh Burner,Grifter,Chopper,Activator, Claude Butler Rock, Carrera TDF, Focus Cayo, T30 Hybrid, Planet X Team Alu, TREK 1.5, Specialized Rockhopper SL, Raleigh Medale Fixie, Pro Carbon TT
Current :- CUBE Peloton Race, Planet X Kaffenback 2
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

As previously mentioned,Marks and Spencer.

No particular locks specified,I rang and checked,bikes ( or anything else ) covered up to £4K.

I have had a claim through them as well,excellent.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield