Tea Shoppes.....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
eileithyia

Tea Shoppes.....

Post by eileithyia »

...I know recently among a thread on other subjects, the rise of the Costa Lotta Bucks type coffee house was commented on esp where they are taking over the High Streets of our towns.

However, today I was in Frodsham at tea time. I have never found the Twee Tea Shoppe to be open on a Sunday afternoon and always thought it was an omission that a town like Frodsham should not have a decent Sunday afternoon tea stop. i might add I have frequently used the tea shoppe during week days esp when permanent Audaxing thru the area.

Around the corner lo and behold a chain coffee shop.... well and truly open and obviously the life and soul of this small town with locals and tourists a like enjoying their hospitality.

if the traditional tea shopps are not open when people are around seeking refreshment is it any wonder such chains of coffee shops get a foot hold in our high streets...?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
hubgearfreak

Re: Tea Shoppes.....

Post by hubgearfreak »

it's capitalism, init?

the global enterprise has no qualms about charging £2.5+ for a hot drink and paying someone minimum wage to serve them up.

the tearooms that are just a family business selling teas at a quid want a day off and sunday is the obvious day.

support the former and buy a tiny nail for the coffin of your high street :(
meic

Post by meic »

It is not even OUR High Street anymore as the security guard outside of the new Coffee shop in the new precinct in town pointed out to me.
They own the street too! :shock:
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia
Been using the Costa coffee in Frodsham for 'bout two years,good coffe if somewhat sloooooowly served,The Tea shoppe you mention is pricey and they're coffee is lousy and the cake is overpriced!
Costa Coffee rocks IMO :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hubgearfreak wrote:it's capitalism, init?

the global enterprise has no qualms about charging £2.5+ for a hot drink and paying someone minimum wage to serve them up.

the tearooms that are just a family business selling teas at a quid want a day off and sunday is the obvious day.

But in this case Costa coffee (americano,that is black coffee,is there any other way to drink coffee?) is £1.80 and its good stuff whilst the other Tea Shoppe mentioned is £1.80 and is aweful in the extreme.
I've been charged some ridiculous prices for instant coffee in tearooms and don't get me on about the price of cake in some of those places.
That said, I know of quite a few Tearooms with pleasent staff,good food and drinks and nice surroundings.
BTW Do you really think Tea Shoppe's pay their staff anymore than they have to?
W H Auden
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

reohn2 wrote:BTW Do you really think Tea Shoppe's pay their staff anymore than they have to?

no, but their profits are barely a five figure sum, compared to billions. or, more simply, do you think that tea shoppe owners are on much more than the MW?. i'll bet the CEO of whatever is on millions
i never had you down as a such a keen fan of global megacorps :shock:
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

…I read in the Portsmouth News that not only is admission to Southsea Castle now FREE …they have opened a 60-seater café …ideal for passing cycling clubs …here’s more...

http://www.southseacastle.co.uk

:)
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Velocio wrote:…I read in the Portsmouth News that not only is admission to Southsea Castle now FREE …they have opened a 60-seater café …ideal for passing cycling clubs …here’s more...

http://www.southseacastle.co.uk

:)

A long way for afternoon from Delamere Forest/Frodsham.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

hubgearfreak wrote:it's capitalism, init?

But can't support the latter if it is shut on a Sunday, generally around here it is Mondays that are the worst place to get a tea shoppe, as they open at weekends then have Monday off.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Many years ago Mrs FW the girls and me would go on Holiday to Barmouth we used to stop in Bala and go to a Tea Shoppe in the town "Sospan Fach" we'd have a pot of tea and toasted tea cakes. I passed through Bala a few weeks ago and it's still there :D

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

hubgearfreak wrote:no, but their profits are barely a five figure sum, compared to billions. or, more simply, do you think that tea shoppe owners are on much more than the MW?. i'll bet the CEO of whatever is on millions

There are in the area where I live and cycle some very very good independent tearoom/cafes who serve great food and great coffee,one (Cafe 'd Lune)newly opened and built from scratch,literally,by the owners,which is a pleasure to patronise and due to its careful
planning,position,good food,pleasant and helpful staff does a bomb,contrast that with another one not 6miles away from it that I'd wipe my feet on the way out that is if I ever went in again.
The whole thing is about service if you give the customer what they want they will return, but some cafe/tearooms miss that point entirely when they employ disinterested staff more concerned with talking about what they're doing later than serving the public,or when two people order food they miss the point they may just want to eat at the same time.Good coffee and tea for me is a sure sign of good service and not instant cheap coffee or bitter cheap teabags.
I'm coming across like some fuddy duddy but I'm not, I just like good service and good food reasonably priced.
If I want a morning coffee stop whilst riding and theres four choices in a town, which there is in Frodsham, I'll pick the one with the best coffee,if its 20p more than instant shoppe there no contest.When instant shoppe recognises that point and sells decent coffe I patronise it until then.......
Heres a tale, Martin Mere (Wetland Trust bird reserve) near Southport, I stopped in one Thursday morning for a coffee and a teacake,it was empty hardly a soul in the place,I got my order and just fancied some jam with it,went back to the counter only to be told it would be an extra 30pence, I declined on principle.
On leaving the manager of the whole complex caught my eye and I suppose with things being slack asked me if everything was OK,I explained about the jam where he began tell me a recessionary tale and how tight things were.I explained to him that if he could attract cyclists in he'd find it good business.I outlined a simple plan some decent bike racks made from scaffold poles so either the nose of the saddle brakes levers could be hung over and bikes locked to it.I went on to explain that cyclist genrally ride in flocks (thought he'd understand the terminoligy) and if four came in for morning coffee, they would spend a tenner between them and be out of the door in 20mins as they wouldn't want their legs get cold,the cafe could offer a 10% reduction outside of lunchtime when their main rush is on,as some cafes do and the good news would travel fast.
He thanked me and said he'd "look into it".
Theres been no change.

i never had you down as a such a keen fan of global megacorps :shock:

I'm not,I just like good coffee served by a smiling face (preferably female) in pleasant surroundings,not so,so, drinks dished out by disinterested staff who should, as a Canadian friend of mine used to say,be kicking horseturds down the road.
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

Probably due to the recession biting many establishments are becoming a lot more inventive in their desire to attract more custom - In rural areas of somerset i have noticed many pubs now offering take away fish and chips and even home delivered meals from the pub menu. Also several small provision stores especially in small villages are offering refreshments on a eat here or take away basis, but many do not open on a sunday. Good luck to them.
Last edited by rjb on 30 May 2011, 2:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

You pay your money and make your choice. Great isn't it?
jonty
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I dont dislike coffee - I just tend to drink more tea. I'd just like to be able to count on being able to buy a good cup of tea instead of the pallid flavour free stuff that usually appears. Espcially at the prices these coffee ouses charge!

My pet niggle? So glad you asked :lol: If you ask for a black coffee they make a great production of passing the order on as "an Americano". The next question is always "will that be with milk Sir?"
"NO - THAT'S WHY I ASKED FOR A BLACK COFFEE..." :roll: :lol:

I like to think of myself as no less cantankerous than the next chap, but thanks to this ritual I've almost reached the next level...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

DaveP wrote:.......My pet niggle? So glad you asked :lol: If you ask for a black coffee they make a great production of passing the order on as "an Americano". The next question is always "will that be with milk Sir?"
"NO - THAT'S WHY I ASKED FOR A BLACK COFFEE..." :roll: :lol:

Got it in one!

I like to think of myself as no less cantankerous than the next chap, but thanks to this ritual I've almost reached the next level...

Sometimes,sometimes I could gladly..........no, I must remain calm at all times :? :)
W H Auden