Slow Riders on new, clean, Expensive Bikes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jonty

Re: Slow Riders on new, clean, Expensive Bikes

Post by Jonty »

My sentiments too, Beachcomber. Enjoying the best and prolonging the pleasurable experience are the mark of the mature person, whether it's enjoying good food, reading a good book, drinking a good malt, driving a good car or riding a good bike. And I can think of others...
jonty
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

beachcomber
Talking of motorcycling,I had one of the early Honda 750 four's(1970)not long after they came out,I was absolutely dismayed to find I could wear through a back tyre in 4to5thousand miles and terrified of the throttle in the rain :shock: I had the bike for less than 12 months and bought a Suzuki T500 twin and loved it,tyres lasted,handled great and no throttleitus in the rain,a lovely bike,which left very fond memories :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jonty wrote:My sentiments too, Beachcomber. Enjoying the best and prolonging the pleasurable experience are the mark of the mature person, whether it's enjoying good food, reading a good book, drinking a good malt, driving a good car or riding a good bike. And I can think of others...
jonty

I couldn't agree less, the mark of a mature person is the ability to accept and enjoy/tolerate whatever situation one finds oneself.........I'm working on it :|
W H Auden
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

reohn2 wrote:
Jonty wrote:My sentiments too, Beachcomber. Enjoying the best and prolonging the pleasurable experience are the mark of the mature person, whether it's enjoying good food, reading a good book, drinking a good malt, driving a good car or riding a good bike. And I can think of others...
jonty

I couldn't agree less, the mark of a mature person is the ability to accept and enjoy/tolerate whatever situation one finds oneself.........I'm working on it :|

The two approaches aren't necessarily incompatible. :wink:
jonty
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Why not just enjoy whatever you have and ride it as fast or as slow as you wish.

Just enjoy the fact you can go outside.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
rower40

Post by rower40 »

The best things come to those who wait.
I ordered some new bling in November. Genesis Day-One Alfine, 8-sp hub, disk brakes. It finally arrived at my bike shop on Monday. The mudguards, rack, Brooks B17 and slightly-less-knobbly tyres will be fitted and ready on Wednesday, but I'm off camping for two days, so won't be picking it up till Saturday.

I don't care whether I'm fast or slow, on a new shiny bike, a much-loved Brompton, a far-too-heavy commuter, or a recumbent. And I don't care what speed others are doing or what they're riding. Just give me a few feet of room when you overtake. And I'll repay the favour to riders I overtake.
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rower40 wrote: ........I don't care whether I'm fast or slow, on a new shiny bike, a much-loved Brompton, a far-too-heavy commuter, or a recumbent. And I don't care what speed others are doing or what they're riding. Just give me a few feet of room when you overtake. And I'll repay the favour to riders I overtake.

Quite right and well IMO,theres room for everyone and every style,pace or persuasion.

PS Hope you enjoy the new bike :)
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

meic wrote:My bike was much more than a "month's salary" but that says more about my wealth than my bike.
Pretty sure that my legs dont match the bike but that is the point, if my legs were that good I wouldnt need the bike.

I do still have the old Raleigh for utility work which needs stronger legs but is more suitable to my status :!:

Alan Sugar apparently owns three Pinarello Prince of Spain machines - I wonder what they cost him - half a days salary?
Apparently he can ride a bit for a man of his age too....

All I'd say is enjoy your new bike - you've worked for it and all that matters is your riding enjoyment....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:beachcomber
Talking of motorcycling,I had one of the early Honda 750 four's(1970)not long after they came out,I was absolutely dismayed to find I could wear through a back tyre in 4to5thousand miles and terrified of the throttle in the rain :shock: I had the bike for less than 12 months and bought a Suzuki T500 twin and loved it,tyres lasted,handled great and no throttleitus in the rain,a lovely bike,which left very fond memories :)

Did you fit TT100s on the Honda. I've got a 1971 K1 with them and it's ok in the wet.
I nearly bought a T500 in about 1972 after having had a super six but ended up getting a Commando instead. That was a brilliant bike....
Whatever you do don't go on ebay and look at this you might be sorely tempted....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1975-SUZUKI-T500M ... 1768wt_932
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:Did you fit TT100s on the Honda. I've got a 1971 K1 with them and it's ok in the wet.
I nearly bought a T500 in about 1972 after having had a super six but ended up getting a Commando instead. That was a brilliant bike....
Whatever you do don't go on ebay and look at this you might be sorely tempted....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1975-SUZUKI-T500M ... 1768wt_932

Yep TT100's,I couldn't stop my wrist twisting though :shock: .I also had two Super Sixes and really liked them,in their time they were an awesome bike light and very fast.
What I did like about the T500 was that it was so well behaved,quiet yet faster than the British twins of the time,a couple of people couldn't believe I'd changed the Four for it but it really was beaut,with quite a low C of G and would burble along all day at 90mph :) .
I checked out the one on Ebay it looked so familiar and friendly but mine was lipstick red with a blue coach line around white sides on the tank,the only fault being the front brake used to fade at high speed so I had it relined with Ferodo green linings which improved it no end.
I'm not temped to go back to motorcycling,if I were it would be one of the big Jap scooters like a Burgman 650 or some such but it'll never happen.
I found a picture of one :) :- http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CDsQ9QEwAQ
W H Auden
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

reohn2 wrote:the mark of a mature person is the ability to accept and enjoy/tolerate whatever situation one finds oneself.

like drinking instant coffee? :wink:
Quin

Post by Quin »

I'm absolutely disgusted by the attitudes in this thread. How dare you people do what you want with your own hard-earned money in order to make your lives more comfortable! Despicable behaviour!
TwoPlusTen

Post by TwoPlusTen »

hubgearfreak wrote:
reohn2 wrote:the mark of a mature person is the ability to accept and enjoy/tolerate whatever situation one finds oneself.

like drinking instant coffee? :wink:

Unless I'm missing something that's a bit of an "in-joke" between you two, if it's the stuff you get here at work then I'll never mature.

I can't stand it, so I bring my own (generally non-instant) coffee in.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I went into Palo Alto Cycles one afternoon a few years back. Guess who was in there... Steve Jobs.

Buying a bike with with two minutes' salary. :D
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Quin wrote:I'm absolutely disgusted by the attitudes in this thread. How dare you people do what you want with your own hard-earned money in order to make your lives more comfortable! Despicable behaviour!

So am I.

Its the responsibility of every man to lead a miserable life while he's got it.