Archiving the Charity Debate.

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
meic

Archiving the Charity Debate.

Post by meic »

Now that the (evil :evil: )deed is done, should this part of the forum be moved down into the archives.

"No use crying over spilt milk" for those that lost

and

"Time to draw a line and move on"
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Re: Archiving the Charity Debate.

Post by gaz »

meic wrote:"Time to draw a line and move on"

Seems like a good idea to me. Lock the threads whilst you're at it.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Post by Si »

I think that now the deed is done and, apparently, irreversible....having the section there probably doesn't do a lot for the future of the CTC. Whether or not we were for the Charity Conversion or not, I would hope that, whatever the outcome, we do all still want the CTC to do well and collect more members (even if some do believe that the CTC has shot itself in the foot). Thus either removing, or moving and locking it would seem like a good idea.

On the other hand, the changes that the conversion brings about could happen over a longish period and people will still want to discuss them, and thus will want somewhere to do this.

And of course, one or two people will see the removal or alteration of this section of the forum as a further example of the illuminati conspiracy to control all parts of the CTC for their own evil aims :twisted:

I think that whatever we do with it, we have little chance of pleasing everyone.
I suppose that we could start a poll with the obvious options....
-leave as is unlocked
-leave as is unlocked for a certain period and then lock/move/remove
-leave as is locked
-move it to a sub forum under campaign or membergroups and then any of the above
-remove from the visible forum and archive (making it available on request to anyone who wants a copy (how do we pay for this?))
-remove
-other?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Whatever happens to it all, I hope it won't just be wiped. I anticipate the writing on the end of the barn will gradually change over the next couple of years, so this will all have a historic value. We've already seen Gordo's prodigal cash cascade switched off and funding for cycling was one of the first cuts - the low-hanging fruit in newspeak.

On reflection, this first year of cutting has seen quite a few u-turns, whenever any sort of opposition to cuts or sell-offs has materialised. I don't remember any significant protests against the cuts to cycle funding.
meic

Post by meic »

I certainly dont want it wiping and I am all in favour of a continued debate.
However as it exists it is an enormous unwieldy volume for people to trawl through and if people dont keep an eye on the exact date of posting they can get very confused.

It could be possible to archive what is there now and leave the forum section there but with an updated name.
The "Old Testament" and the "New Testament"

I can see the possibility of public uproar which is why I thought the suggestion should come from somebody with a history of cynicism about the whole Charity idea, like for example, me.
Yma o Hyd
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

I'm with Meic on this'n. This is a subject that will run and run. As things change people will want to comment, ask questions etc and non-members (like wot I am) will want to see what changes are happening, what people think of said changes, and maybe put their two-penn'orth in.

If seeing a running commentry of the changes and people's opinions of same encourages even one non-member to join (or re-join :wink: ) then so much the better.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Graham

Post by Graham »

I've just moved it into the the "CTC Member Groups" forum as a sub-group.

It is still postable.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Si wrote:And of course, one or two people will see the removal or alteration of this section of the forum as a further example of the illuminati conspiracy to control all parts of the CTC for their own evil aims :twisted:

More discussion here. :wink:

Graham wrote:I've just moved it into the the "CTC Member Groups" forum as a sub-group.

It is still postable.

It's back on the main forum boards list as well, just shifted it's postition. I know it was a sub-forum briefly. Did you have a re-think?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Graham

Post by Graham »

Yes. I had a rethink. Maybe it is a bit early to give it sub-forum status ??