Tent repair

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jmrees

Tent repair

Post by jmrees »

I have an old Vango Strata tent. Brilliant tent, very roomy though a bit on the heavy side. I have used it on and off for 10 years now and am distressed to discover that on the front porch inside the heat sealed tapes inside the seams are beginning to peel off. I have seen this happen before and enquired in shops about what to do but usually got a vague reply about how it's all done in yhe factory and you need a new tent. Surely there has to be a nylon adhesive which could be used to stick the tape back where it has come adrift? I have tried seam sealer but that seals but doesn't seem to be adhesive. Any ideas gratefully received.
PH

Re: Tent repair

Post by PH »

Try here- top of the page - iron on tape;
http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/accessories.asp

I've never used it, though all the things I have used from Pennine Outdoor have works well and I'd expect this to be the same.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

This stuff is brilliant and should do what you want. I've used it to repair rips in waterproof jackets and you can even wash them and it still stays on.
http://www.mcnett.com/Tenacious-Tape-Cl ... -P139.aspx
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

You probably won't be able to replace the seam sealing tape by ironing on new stuff. Generally, the tape sticks extremely well to the PU coating and the coating comes off with the tape, leaving bare nylon behind. You can get some flexible seam sealing glue in outdoor shops, but I can't remember the name at the moment. Like the Tenacious Tape, it too is made by McNetts. Have a look on their website. Other brands are available. But glue will be best as the nylon weave will provide a good "key" for it.
Sometimes however, even the best glues don't stick well due to dirt or contamination or other surface treatments on the fabrics.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The seam sealing glue is McNett Seam Grip.
It's worth using their cure accelerant as well, if you can find it. As well as speeding the setting time, it acts as a thinner during application, which should make getting good coverage easier (1 part thinner to 3 parts seam grip). If you can't find the cure accelerator, toluene will also work as a thinner, if you can get some.
Part used tubes last longer in the freezer.

Tenacious tape is good, but replacing long lengths of failing seam taping with it would probably be pretty expensive.

For other folk...
If the tent is silicon coated, you have to use McNett SilNet instead. Seam sealing tape won't stick to the silicon coating (neither will Seam Grip), so if the tent seams are taped you have a PU-coated tent.
bikefish

Post by bikefish »

RE seam resealing - depends on tape material - clear plastic is sold in rolls in a v few outdoor shops - iron on with a cool iron. You might also try ironing the tape back in place on to PU coated nylon - I have also done this often with 3 layer goreTex jackets (I gave up on their weaselly warranty replacement). Also - a lot of work repair - is dabbing blobs of seam grip on to the tape - i generally find seams dont leak too much - the PU itself breaks down.... Im thinking of getting Siliconised nylon for my next tent as I belive DIY reproofing is cheap and easy (using diluted caulking Silicon) - i have a link somewhere..
ossie

Post by ossie »

andrew_s wrote:For other folk...
If the tent is silicon coated, you have to use McNett SilNet instead. Seam sealing tape won't stick to the silicon coating (neither will Seam Grip), so if the tent seams are taped you have a PU-coated tent.

I discovered a small hole in my Vaude Taurus Ultralite during my recent tour. This tent is silicone coated. I used clear silicone sealant from screwfix to apply two small patches (inner and outer). You can mix with white spirit but mine was such a small repair I just used the neat silicone.
jmrees

Post by jmrees »

I bought the McNett Cotol 240 and the McNett seam grip on the internet, reasonable price but ridiculous p and p. They are both on Amazon. Peeled back the failing seam tapes, painted on the Cotol 240 and rubbed off the old adhesive to get clean surfaces (care needed, it's quite strong stuff, started to dissolve the tapes). Spread the seam grip on the seams and the back of the old tape which was still attached at one end but peeled back, left both to cure for 15 mins and then applied the tapes to the seams. Hardened in the garage over night. Didn't bother to use the Cotol 240 as a cure accelerator as not needed. Job done, an old tent given a new lease of life, though I won't find out if those seams are watertight until I take it to Scotland in a few weeks. Thanks for your help.