How to reduce midge bites

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LollyKat

Re: How to reduce midge bites

Post by LollyKat »

That may be true for mosquitoes but we are talking about MIDGIES!

Some years ago Jungle Formula was pushed in shops as it was claimed to be the best thing in Vietnam....I didn't find it much use against midgies, though.
BryterLayter

Post by BryterLayter »

Thanks to everyone who has posted.

I have decided to purchase some Avon so Soft and the 3M Ultrathon. I am going to trial the So Soft down on the allotment whilst wearing my shorts (not a pretty sight :D ) and see how I fair. If I get bitten then I shall use the 3M as I dont really wish to spend most of my holiday scratching away furiously in my tent.

I shall look into the anti histamine cream just in case one of the little blighters does get past my defenses.

Does anyone know the name of an appropriate cream?
And now we rise
And we are everywhere
boris

Post by boris »

to save weight I take 100%deet , like repel 100 for example.I see you can get the 3m ultrathon slow release not too expensively.It has to be applied generously in ALL exposed areas before the blighters get a sniff of you and topped up every few hours. Then it really works, although having a thick cloud of them round you is quite irritating anyway and I think they still land. So clothes and hat and possibly net hood are best when you stop moving, or dive into the tent.
By the way it seems the scottish midges can only do 4 mph , so if you keep trotting about they do not mass round you and a strong wind is a blessing.
I keep going back, so they cannot be that bad if you are ready. Locals tend to just put up with them or use sss .

antihistamine cream is not very effective and then only for the first few hours of a bite. Loratadine tablets would work better to suppress the histamine response but after the first few hours the histamine response is over and creams only work by skin-cooling. Old antihistamines have a sedative effect that reduces the complaint of itch and can help sleep, like Nytol. Do not cycle while on that in the day.
tonythompson

Post by tonythompson »

+1 for Avon Skin So Soft, I use it on the horse as well who suffers badly from midges (all together OHHHH) keeps us both midge free and almost covers the smell.
Crossed Oz Perth to Adelaide to highlight Barrett's Disease http://www.tonystravels.com
john.will.wright

Post by john.will.wright »

I've never found 100% DEET before, but I found 95% in a standard high street outdoor shop. It works very well and a small bottle (about 2oz I'd say) lasts for well over a fortnight as only one spray per 3-4 hours is needed.
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

I'm a midge/mozzie magnet too, I react so badly that even one or two bites are enough to ruin a good few days. Avon So Soft does work but the need to re-apply means I don't use it, I think of nothing else but re-application. I only use and trust Autan, cover myself at 4pm and that'll see me through till the tent is up, then another application and that'll see me through the night, not greasy and only a little lemon fragrance.

Was camping in Settle last summer, fell asleep outside the tent reading. :shock: Not one bite on my body.............................. but the soles of my feet were ravaged. :x