Unsupported charity LEJoG starting this week

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
kennycr

Unsupported charity LEJoG starting this week

Post by kennycr »

I'll be setting off on a journey to fulfil a lifetime's ambition on Friday 10 June, leaving Lands End around lunchtime and heading to John O' Groats, hopefully by 22 June. I'll be staying at B&Bs and with friends on the route, but I will be carrying all my own gear. Perhaps not the most ambitious challenge ever outlined on here, but for a 47 year-old bloke weighing in at around 105 Kg, who went for more than five years without touching a bike, it promises to present plenty of hurdles along the way.

I'll be raising money for three great charities, so if anyone would like to support them please visit My page: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/KennethCrookston

You can keep up-to-date with my progress by following me on Twitter @BB1887 or on http://www.facebook.com/british.bandsman. If anyone wants to join me along the way then please feel free. Just don't expect Lance Armstrong or Chris Hoy!

Hope to see some of you on the road.

Kenny
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Unsupported charity LEJoG starting this week

Post by Mick F »

I'd love to join you, but busy Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Sorry.

Have a great ride, and good luck!
Mick F. Cornwall
kennycr

Post by kennycr »

Thanks Mick.

Any good suggestions for B&B in Wadebridge/Padstow and Crediton would be welcome if anyone has them.

Thanks

Kenny
kennycr

Post by kennycr »

Well, I made it!

Almost exactly 14 days in the end. Not a lot of flat bits in Cornwall, and not a lot of dry bits in Scotland, but it really was a journey of a lifetime and one that I would heartily recommend to anyone even thinking remotely about it. If an overweight 47 year-old can manage it, I'd guess that most able-bodied people can with a bit of training and determination.

Thanks to my mate, Ron, for keeping me going from Lockerbie to John o' Groats. There were times when it would have been easy to give in, notably when leaving a cafe in Helmsdale still soaked and freezing, to be faced with one of the hardest climbs of the route, then Berriedale! I'll never forget the sight of the Orkneys in the distance as I came over the last hill into JoG. Priceless!

Now, what next?.....

Kenny
Robzere31

Post by Robzere31 »

Congratulations, great achievement.
tomp734444

Post by tomp734444 »

Congratulations Kenny,

A great achievement. I remember what it's like to be 105 Kg, so I know what this ride must have taken out of you.

Tom
It is better to travel than to arrive.