panniers on BA flights

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
anniesboy

panniers on BA flights

Post by anniesboy »

Now that BA allow only one piece of luggage plus bike,has anyone traveled with panniers ,if so what did you do.With regard to one piece of luggage rule.I'm thinking of strapping both together.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

I carried a very thin zipup bag which I put both of them in prior to check in. Once on the trip the bag was useful for shopping when off the bike.
I did put an elastic strap around the panniers to hold them together but don't think it was necessary.
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

bump
jam05

PLANES!

Post by jam05 »

I thought cycling was an environmentally conscious activity but I wonder from the contributions to this forum! First of all its cars suitable for bikes and now panniers suitable for planes. How about brains suitable for a clean planet!

Why not cycle where you're going or take a train part of the way?
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Thanks I can well do without that sort of advice.
Having cycle commuted for years .I really don't need advice on green living.
By the way my brain is quite intact.
jam05

PLANES!

Post by jam05 »

Sorry to upset you- im sure your brain is intact so why not use it to make a conscious decision not to fly.
As George Monbiot says in his excellent book, 'Heat': "If you fly, you destroy other people's lives."

Perhaps I should stick to Environmental forums rather than try to provoke a meaningful change for a future where our grandchildren, breathing their bottled air, are able to live without the guilt of knowing that their forefathers/mothers knowingly destroyed their world.

I wouldn't have reason to live if I didn't try. If that offends then so be it. I'm not advising, I'm asking.
jam05

BOOK REFERENCE

Post by jam05 »

If anyone is interested, here is a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heat-How-Stop-P ... 0713999233
meic

Post by meic »

Jam05
Many cyclists are enviromentally considerate but it isnt a requirement. This forum exists equally for the benefit of those who fly to Australia and hire a 4x4 to carry their mountain bike. As you say it is a cyclists forum.
I agree with your comments but the line about a 'brain suitable for' is too near to a personal slight and will be counter-productive. You could alienate people who may otherwise one day see the light.
As it is a cyclists forum, if we are too heavy on the enviromental side and start to alienate non-enviromentalists, the may well be a need to prohibit such issues being talked about if they interfere with the primary role of supporting cycling.
jam05

Post by jam05 »

Thanks for your comments Meic - I have mounted rather high a horse perhaps and you are right about personal slights. It wasn't my intention to alienate readers - simply to encourage some active thinking, hence the brains comment. But anger can ruin the focus.

Off the high horse, on my bike...........
nurgles

Post by nurgles »

I live in SE Asia and I need to fly back to UK occasionally to see my kids and mum.If I cycled it would take about 5 months(as my friend did recently) and I dont have that holiday.I could come by ship or train but that's probably not environmentally friendly either.

I'm a Life Member and have been cycling and a CTC member since I was 15(more than 40 years) so I also dont want to read about the size of my carbon footprint here as over the years I would have qualified for kiddies sizes.There are plenty of other places that can be discussed.

The BA allowance is very good.Compare to cycle friendly country airline KLM who now charge 80 Eu for a bike box.........albeit a good box.

Suggest put your panniers in one bin bag or just tie together
ianr1950

Re: PLANES!

Post by ianr1950 »

jam05 wrote:I thought cycling was an environmentally conscious activity but I wonder from the contributions to this forum! First of all its cars suitable for bikes and now panniers suitable for planes. How about brains suitable for a clean planet!

Why not cycle where you're going or take a train part of the way?

This is the sort of comment that really alienates people. You do not know what sort of trip the person was planning. It might have been for a month long cycling trip round America or somwhere.
I am not advocating the liberal use of airlines for weekend trips or anything but I do not see the point of the comments you made.
As I have posted on other places why do the seemingly anti car/plane lobby always jump onto peoples backs when they ask a perfectly legitimate question when they do not know the full reason behind the question.