Broken shimano sora sti right hand shifter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tinribs

Broken shimano sora sti right hand shifter

Post by tinribs »

Cycling to work this morning on my Raleigh Royal the right hind shifter stopped working. It still clicks just once and the cable is still tense but it just isn't changing the rear derailleur anymore. I've had the bike about 2 and a half years and never had any problems before. Does anybody know if it is at all possible to fix this, and how? Been looking at the price of new ones and they cost nearly as much as I paid for the bike brand new.

Thanks for any advice.
reohn2

Re: Broken shimano sora sti right hand shifter

Post by reohn2 »

Assuming the rear mech is all in order.
Replace inner cable and greasing inside the outers with aerosol grease could solve the problem.

If that doesn't work try flooding the STI's internals with aerosol grease through the slots where levers move,you may need to turn the bike upside down to get it right inside the mechanism.I've had good results reviving STI's with this simple method :)
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Jun 2011, 7:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
uphillbothways

Post by uphillbothways »

STIs are basically unmendable. Shimano don't consider the STI mechanism to be user-serviceable and don't provide spare parts or service documents. If you want to crack it open and have a go you don't have much to lose, but you won't find much help in doing so. Try cleaning everything out, checking the cables and so on.

Single STI shifters turn up regularly on eBay at fairly reasonable prices. There's a brand new right 9sp Sora lever currently listed for £50. Second hand shifters in reasonable nick can be had for less than £20.
meic

Post by meic »

Take the cable out and inspect it before doing anything else.
Most faults with Sti's tend to be a frayed cable near the nipple.
Yma o Hyd
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

meic wrote:Take the cable out and inspect it before doing anything else.
Most faults with Sti's tend to be a frayed cable near the nipple.

+1
NUKe

Post by CREPELLO »

Coincidentally, there's a newish Royal on ebay at the moment, also with a bust R/H Sora shifter. A bargain for someone I reckon.
tinribs

Post by tinribs »

Thanks very much for all the advice, I took it to my LBS yesterday and the guy had a quick look at it before deducing it was the cable. Henceforth I've purchased a new inner and outer cable which I intend to put on at the weekend. Time to trawl the web for 'how to' videos.

Cheers again