togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
robc02

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by robc02 »

am i the only one that's noticed rob's jaunty poses in two of those three pics?

No.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I've just picked the lock on my 2nd Humber 8) - thanks to advice from Steve Brown.

The plunger is now in the "down" position but I still can't get it out. I've tried turning it 1/4 turn either way but it doesn't work. I did a couple of years ago with my blue Humber but can't remember exactly how. All I remember is being quite brutal to get to the lock retaining screw, but am not sure at what point or how the plunger came out. Can anyone advise me before I become brutal with this one as well :twisted: - please :)
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

hubgearfreak wrote:am i the only one that's noticed rob's jaunty poses in two of those three pics? :lol:

Be fair, Tim - he'd just spent the night crammed into a damp DL envelope, it takes a while to un-tangle :lol:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

robc02 wrote:I've just picked the lock on my 2nd Humber 8) - thanks to advice from Steve Brown.

The plunger is now in the "down" position but I still can't get it out. I've tried turning it 1/4 turn either way but it doesn't work. I did a couple of years ago with my blue Humber but can't remember exactly how. All I remember is being quite brutal to get to the lock retaining screw, but am not sure at what point or how the plunger came out. Can anyone advise me before I become brutal with this one as well :twisted: - please :)

So it was in the "up" position and the bike was fully usable, and you faffed until it was in the "down" position, and now the bike is unusable? Am I the only one thinking............... :roll:
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

I've just been to the garage and checked. On the locks from Raleigh Superbes, with the plunger out in the locked position, the plunger needs rotating clockwise a quarter turn (when viewing from the plunger side of the lock, not from the barrel side). It took a fair bit of jiggling around and was somewhat like pulling a tooth with good roots. If the plunger snaps off (which it probably won't) you can remove the lock and fashion a new one fairly easily I would have thought. Good luck.
random37

Post by random37 »

Well, I've got very few pictures from TCT 2011; I never remember to take the camera with me. But here's what I have:
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/32627644 ... 1?h=7f179d

Surely someone was less absentminded than me?
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

robc02 wrote:
I've just picked the lock on my 2nd Humber - thanks to advice from Steve Brown.

The plunger is now in the "down" position but I still can't get it out. I've tried turning it 1/4 turn either way but it doesn't work. I did a couple of years ago with my blue Humber but can't remember exactly how. All I remember is being quite brutal to get to the lock retaining screw, but am not sure at what point or how the plunger came out. Can anyone advise me before I become brutal with this one as well - please

Have you seen these diagrams?
http://www.oldroads.com/mn0.jpg

The quarter turn is necessary, but you need to have the lock in the correct position and jiggle it about a bit to disengage the lock barrel M367 from the rod S743
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
robc02

Post by robc02 »

steve browne wrote:I've just been to the garage and checked. On the locks from Raleigh Superbes, with the plunger out in the locked position, the plunger needs rotating clockwise a quarter turn (when viewing from the plunger side of the lock, not from the barrel side). It took a fair bit of jiggling around and was somewhat like pulling a tooth with good roots. If the plunger snaps off (which it probably won't) you can remove the lock and fashion a new one fairly easily I would have thought. Good luck.

Done it :) I couldn't rotate the plunger with the lock in place, but since the lock had to come out anyway I drilled a small hole the cover (opposite the key face), undid the lock retaining screw, then gradually removed the lock - wiggling the plunger just enough to allow the lock to come out. With the lock removed I was able to knock out the cover. The plunger is still in place, complete with its spring and ball bearing; I will braze up the hole in the cover and send the lock to Olbiketrader - as you did - for a key. :D
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Have you seen these diagrams?
http://www.oldroads.com/mn0.jpg

Yes, I've got those diagrams. Thanks though.

I wonder whether removing the brass piece S742 and then the lock barrel would be helpful? There might even be a number under there. I am told it is possible to file the pins to fit a key you already have. ...........I need to look further.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Just off out to look at TCT3 accommodation :oops:

Graham, wot finks Chris 'as got the right idea 8)
random37

Post by random37 »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Just off out to look at TCT3 accommodation :oops:

Graham, wot finks Chris 'as got the right idea 8)

My ears are burning....
AMC

Post by AMC »

Well hello lovely fellow Togglers. After leaving you lot on Monday I've been mainly in rainy Cornwall getting very wet ankles, but have finally arrived somewhere where I can get online & get warm. We had a brilliant weekend, despite the weather, and have a few pics to prove that actually (contrary to certain previous posts) some of it was idyllic. Thanks to MikeWSmith2 for all the organisation and great routes (although obviously thanks must also to to Hubbers for the highly diverting off road sections and provision of the means to Chris667's death mission on a child's bike through a ploughed field or two. It was the highlight of my weekend - but I think he needed that much beer to steer the damn thing.) Gratitude too to Mrs MikeWSmith2's breakfast on Monday by the sea - apart from anything we'd have starved riding through those oilfields without it. We had such a good ride on Saturday, and it's not often I get the chance to spend all day & evening in the pub as we were forced to do (ahem) on Sunday, whilst Monday's oilfield ride was perfect (although it's very hard indeed to cycle into a strong wind in a large nurse's cape). So thoroughly looking forward to TCT 3, although with my knees I'd better get that 22T cog onto the Elswick and something like a 60T onto the Raleigh if it really is single speed. Wondering if the GrahamNR17's trailer tent will fit into a matchbox by now... I'll try and post the pics next week when I get home if I can figure out how the hell to do it.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Here's most of mine, but I need more if anyone has some 8)

https://picasaweb.google.com/grahamnr17/TCT2011?feat=directlink
AMC

Post by AMC »

They're really good, although you could do without the one of that weird nurse with her eyes closed on the ferry...shame to have had to bail out of the rest of Moday's ride too - it looked very pleasing, especially the tea stop.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

AMC wrote:it looked very pleasing, especially the tea stop.

It was :D There was a British Rail standard class 4MT in steam. (Cue adenoidal voice) These were based on the Fowler design of the late 1920's. Much of the re-design work was done by Mr Riddles in Brighton. The main mechanical change was a reduction in cyclinder size, though the boiler pressure was raised to compensate for that. 155 were built, the 15 that were to be built in 1957 were cancelled due to the introduction of diesel. The early ones had fluted coupling rods that did cause problems, but..... OUCH :shock: . Did you throw that, Graham? You could have had my eye out!

Steve (wot knows that Graham loves all this stuff really :wink: )