Is this tyre safe? Sidewall damage

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ChrisButch

Re: Is this tyre safe? Sidewall damage

Post by ChrisButch »

LollyKat wrote:Thanks again for your posts.

ChrisButch I'm interested that you had the same problems on your Thorn Audax. Did you talk to Thorn about it? What tyres do you use now? I am considering Ultra Gatorskins or All condition Armadillos at the moment.

I didn't, as the tyres weren't supplied by Thorn - I bought the bike as frame+groupset only, without wheels. So I don't think there's any significance, just a coincidence. Since my repeated problems with Paselas (they were both 23s and 25s, incidentally) , i've switched to Spec. Armadillos on this bike, without further problems. Most of my riding on this bike is done on very rough local lanes (it's now been relegated to my hack bike), so sidewalls do need to be robust.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'd happily ride it (one bike has worse on at the moment, although I've put a tyre boot in), although I'd have a look from the inside first (I'd be more concerned if there is much visible damage there), and I might put it on the rear wheel just to be sure.
Tony1968

Post by Tony1968 »

I ran Pasela TGs for a few years and never wore one out, it was always the sidewall that went. Tried pressure from 55-90PSI, made no difference. I eventually put it down to scuffing of the sidewalls from the odd shortcut on a brideway/sustrans route, from slotting into the channel style parking lockers at the station or even the odd rubbing against a kerb when wheeling the bike.

Whatever it was I never failed to get home and apart from one particularly big bulge usually just ran on lower pressures until I could get a replacement tyre.

Lovely tyres. Light, grippy, quiet, fairly puncture proof, easy to fit but about 3 years ago I'd had enough and switched to Marathons. As most of my mileage is transport I'm happy to trade performance for reliability.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Lollykat, can you clarify whether the loose bit is just the amber rubber, or whether there is a loose fibre? Just for clarity really - I really can't tell, despite it being a good close up photo.

If it was only rubber, I personally wouldn't be too concerned. Glue it
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I've been reading this thread with a heavy heart, having just paid £30 for a folding 26x1.75 TG to use as a spare for the tandem.
recommended by Thorn and all. :cry:
I guess, if I have to fit it, there'll be a fair amount of praying going on...
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

It's clear that quite a lot of people have had similar problems -- they are really nice tyres but I think just too fragile for my taste. I have taken a couple more photos to send to Thorn and see what they have to say, but I think I will be changing to a different tyre soon.

Crepello: I find it difficult to tell, even using a magnifying glass, as if it is a fibre it is coated in rubber. I tried pulling the ends and there was no stretch, which suggests to me that it is a fibre. There is no bulge, though.

DaveP: I certainly wouldn't want to use these on a tandem! If you have only just bought it can't you exchange it for something else? I was thinking of getting some in 32mm for my commuter but am glad I didn't.
byegad

Post by byegad »

My Club Tour was on 38mm TGs and still is 8 years and 12000 miles later. I sold it last year and, as it was to a friend, I gave everything a damn good look over as well as servicing the bike before he picked it up.
Maybe the newer ones have an issue??? Certainly the 8 year old ones looked great even after all those miles, many of them commuting to work.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Maybe there is less of a problem with the wider ones? Mine are 28mm. Your experience should reassure DaveP.
johnmac

Post by johnmac »

All Passella's seem to go this way in the end. You never hear of one failing and causing an accident though.

Either a, we're all very careful to replace them when the failure starts b, the splits and bulges never lead to serious fauilure, or c, all the people whove ignored this problem are now dead!
byegad

Post by byegad »

johnmac wrote:All Passella's seem to go this way in the end. You never hear of one failing and causing an accident though.

Either a, we're all very careful to replace them when the failure starts b, the splits and bulges never lead to serious fauilure, or c, all the people whove ignored this problem are now dead!

Do we get to vote?
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
PW

Post by PW »

I've never known a Pasela go from sidewall damage yet. All ours died from 3 punctures in less than a week at around the 2,500 mile mark, at which point they go in the bin.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!