Mrs Mick F doesn't like it

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Edwards

Re: Mrs Mick F doesn't like it

Post by Edwards »

Mick if you are having trouble getting something to stick to the back of the mirror? You could try some stuff called Glassing Tape it is the stuff that some windows are stuck in with. You would need to go to a proper Glassing shop.
Alternatively have you tried the sticky pads that are sold for car interior mirrors?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The problem is, I don't have the mirror glass any more. It flew out, just like the other two did! :evil:

The mirror is convex and oval and made of glass, so it is hard and brittle. The unit that it sticks to is soft rubber.

The original mirror was "factory fitted" and lasted only six months before I lost it. I emailed the supplier and they sent me another one with instructions of how to fit it. I used Evostick - nice and flexible and that worked for about a year before it too went west.

I emailed again and pleaded my case, and they sent me yet another one, but said that that would be the last. This time, I fitted it with Araldite. It too lasted a year before going west.

The full sorry story is on:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14074

The main problem, is that the unit is poorly designed. The mirror should be held "positively" with a lip of a frame round it. That way, it's held in place even if the glue lets go.

Anyway, it's purely academic now .......
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Mick, I know you like tinkering and had a thought, :shock: The disc in a computor hard drive is very highly polished but flat. what about cutting a section out of one to fit the section of the mounting, I know it's not convex but it might work once you get used to it, the other thing is I dont know if it might rust? If you want to try one let me know and I'll pop a couple in the post, I've got a few old HDD's knocking about :D

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hmmm real glass, near to an unprotected thigh where some big veins are, during exercise :shock:

I once saw I chap slip with a Stanley knife whilst knelt down cutting toward himself,it took both my hands and not inconsiderable strength to stem the blood flow and i honestly thought I was going to loose him :shock: all happened a mile underground in a tunnel with(luckily) one other chap there who able to go and get assistance.
The cut was less than an inch long and not as deep as the knife blade.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Firstly, thanks Malc for the idea. HD disks are indeed shiny but flat, so even if I could get one cut and fitted, I don't think it would work too well coz it's flat.

Secondly, I never caught my thigh or knee on the mirror, however I did come close with the 'bars turned right with the RH pedal high ONLY when getting on the bike - not during riding. No danger of hurting anything, ever.

I will persevere with the Cateye, and now I've rotated the fitting so the mirror is able to turn vertically so the bike can park on its right, it seems a little better. I will have to get used to not having any rear view when I'm on the drops.

This mirror is not perfect - perhaps no mirror is perfect - but at only £5, it will be ok for now.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Update on the Cateye mirror:

I was out again this morning without the trailer, and got a bit of a lick on.

At any speed above 30mph, or less in the wind, the mirror would fold back. Don't tell me to tighten the screw a bit more, it was as tight as a tight thing, and any more would have stripped the threads! No matter how I tightened it, it wouldn't grip well enough. I had to interrupt my riding to attempt tighten it. :evil:

I've just taken it to bits and had a shufti. The only thing I could do was grind away some of the plastic with some coarse sandpaper to bring the two halves of the boss closer together. Then, by tightening the screw, the mirror is gripped better. I took perhaps half a mm off.

I await another test.
Mick F. Cornwall
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Mick F wrote:I await another test.

And we await another test to destruction :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

CREPELLO wrote:
Mick F wrote:I await another test.

And we await another test to destruction :D

It'll be a long wait I've five in service and one spare and haven't broken one yet in approx 6/7years.

Occasionally mine will move on a fast and bumpy road but its no problem to reposition it.I also have one on one of the bikes that wouldn't quite tighten up enough due to the internal diameter of the 'bars being bigger than the others, I wrapped a some black tap round the expanding bit that goes inside which solved the problem.
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My 'bars are classic Cinelli, and the internal diameter is as per the standards of Cinelli in the 1980s. What that figure is, I don't know, but if Cateye can't cope with it, I can't cope with Cateye! :wink:

£5.72 for a mirror.
What do I expect?
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:£5.72 for a mirror.
What do I expect?

What I (and others on here) got, good kit at a bargain price! :D
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, a bargain.
The thing is, it won't grip and stay in place.

Yes, I know it's easy to re-adjust, but coming down a long and bendy hill with traffic behind - or no traffic behind - and you look down at the mirror to see only your cross-bar or perhaps your legs, and you are travelling at 30mph or more - - the last thing you want to do is fiddle with the alignment of a mirror!

Go back to the old days, and look over your shoulder ...........
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Keep tightening the screw,you may have one loose :roll:
W H Auden
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

My daughter has the same problem with that Cat-eye mirror. I have gone for this B&M one instead and find it fits nice and firmly and doesn't rattle out of adjustment. I also think it looks neater without the stalk. It costs nearly three times as much, though.
alicej

Post by alicej »

Maybe, if you did something like this, one or two of the mirrors would still be pointing in a useful direction even after they'd all been bumped around a bit? http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 29,r:3,s:0
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

alicej wrote:Maybe, if you did something like this, one or two of the mirrors would still be pointing in a useful direction even after they'd all been bumped around a bit? http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 29,r:3,s:0

Are they made in Itay?

PS I know the scooter is :roll:
W H Auden