Survey for Ride Leaders about non-member rides

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
gaz

Re: Survey for Ride Leaders about non-member rides

Post by gaz »

There is an underlying problem with the survey.

Obviously enough I'm a Forum member. I also happen to be a CTC member. I also happen to be a Ride Leader.

As far as I can see I do not even need to be logged in to the forum, yet alone a bona fide Ride Leader in order to complete the Ride Leader survey. :evil:

Sorry, IMO the results will be meaningless.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've been a member for decades, but have hardly ever been out on a ride (they are mostly on Sundays, which doesn't suit me). I'm trying to think how a non-member would see this. There's a choice of riding alone, going out with friends, or going out with the CTC and getting charged.

We need members and we want people to join, but I'm not sure I can see a rule about how many times you can go out "for free" helping. If you have to push people to join, will they stay?
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Why are Member Groups only getting three weeks to complete these surveys? Given that this is happening during the school holiday period, and committees may wish to meet to discuss responses, this feels like a totally inadequate length of time...

Why I am not surprised?
Si

Post by Si »

gaz wrote:
Si wrote:By having the option of charging occasional riders/non-members a £1 a go we get to put some money towards insurance/MG costs while those that are full members don't feel like they've been diddled.

The problem I see is that asking ride leaders to formally collect payments from non-members introduces added burdens of administration:-

e.g. Do they need to get a Gift Aid declaration? Will they issue receipts for cash collected? Does the cash go the LMG or National Office? How will they pass the cash on? In what timescale? Who is liable if the cash is lost?

True, it is an extra burden that some might not want. It is a process that many groups have carried out in the past, and we currently already have the issue of having to workout if every one is a member, getting the contact details forms, working out how many rides non-members have already been on, etc. It is swapping one set of red tape for another, but is there a better solution?

As for your questions, if this system was installed: I would suggest that (like at our club nights presently): for such small amounts GA is ignored, that receipts are not given, that the money goes to the MG, and that should the money be lost then it would just have to be written off - again like at our current club nights where a small charge is levied. I think that we have to trust our rides leaders not to pretend to lose the money and then disappear of to the Caribbean!
Kevin Mayne

Post by Kevin Mayne »

Just to clarify for Regulator and Gaz - last year at a similar time of year 770 people responded to a similar survey, including a higher proportion of member groups than to any previous survey in the 13 years since I have been involved with the club.

The Council will of course consider the number of respondents as a material factor but we do have higher percentages of MG volunteers and committee members who give us their email details than we do the wider membership so I am fairly confidenet that we will get a robust response.

And this work has been under consideration for months with those who said they wanted to help shape the policy involved since much earlier in the year.

Regards

Kevin
gaz

Post by gaz »

Kevin Mayne wrote:Just to clarify for Regulator and Gaz - last year at a similar time of year 770 people responded to a similar survey, including a higher proportion of member groups than to any previous survey in the 13 years since I have been involved with the club.

Would that have been the Member Group Funding Consultation? I was high enough up the MG pecking order to be "copied in" locally but felt sufficiently low enough down the same pecking order to leave the decision making to those above me. I found it curious that there was no discussion of that process on the forum.

Kevin Mayne wrote:The Council will of course consider the number of respondents as a material factor but we do have higher percentages of MG volunteers and committee members who give us their email details than we do the wider membership so I am fairly confidenet that we will get a robust response.

I'm not convinced about the robustness of the response. I first became aware of the Ride Leader Survey through the link on the forum board, not the Club Shorts e-mail from National Office. With a link from the forum there is no control over who is responding nor how many times an individual responds.

Oh well, time to take the survey.

Edit - Upon reflection I feel that I've climbed on my high horse over an issue that is more likely to be imagined than real. :oops: :oops:
Last edited by gaz on 22 Jul 2011, 10:44am, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

I have no problem with CTC rules.
Those that advantage me i will stick to.
Those that don't i will ignore.
Bit like the French in the EU .
After all; it's just a cycling club! :)
cyclinggranny

Post by cyclinggranny »

I really cannot stand free-loaders!!! The basic question is are we a club or not - FGS HQ make up your mind!!
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Been a member of CTC since the 70's, life member since 80's; only recently got broadband, & now I find the Clubs Rules are being discussed in public!!!

Some one some where is an idiot! Maybe it's me for thinking this is a member's club.

There should be a secure section for members only, by entering membership number, as a minimum.

Still , I don't expect anyone, or at least, of consequence will even see this. These things are always left hanging about after the time period designated to them.

I joined to ride my bike in the company of like minded people, that's why I'm a life member.
Linux since 1999