ITB Pain - ow OW!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
boblo

ITB Pain - ow OW!!

Post by boblo »

Out on our venerable tandem on Sunday. 30 miles in, I start getting a sore outside right knee. 40 miles later at home, I'm hobbling like a good un. Nothings changed and the bike/set up has 10,000k's miles on it.

Why now? Any experiences/war stories etc?
LollyKat

Re: ITB Pain - ow OW!!

Post by LollyKat »

Maybe you are getting venerable too :mrgreen: .

Absolutely not an expert here, but I need to be careful of my knees. Regular stretching and exercises keep them happy, and I am also careful not to strain them by using low gears where necessary.

For now I guess ice plus ibuprofen would help. You will need more than than, though -- there is lots on google if you search for ITB pain, e.g. http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_4249.shtml .
Good luck.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

You think it hurts now?

Go and see a sports fizzio and see what pain they cause while massaging it :twisted:
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
sloop

Post by sloop »

From previous (painful experience) it may be thigh muscles becoming taut and locked up. A chiropractor gave me a series of painful thigh massages that solved what was a serious problem, ie unable to press down on the pedal, hobbling as you mention, and my leg locking up, being able to bend my knee. This occurred out of the blue with no injury or strain. I've used similar massages when I've soaked in the bath for while. This works very well for me and avoids the cost of professional attention!