Cyclists at risk of tick borne disease in Europe this summer

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
samaddie

Cyclists at risk of tick borne disease in Europe this summer

Post by samaddie »

Risk profiles of the 27 countries in Europe where the disease tick borne encephalitis (TBE) is endemic are now updated on the Tick Alert website .Tickalert.org

The profiles include details of TBE risk areas known to be popular for a range of outdoor sports and activities such as hiking, climbing, camping, cycling, mountain biking and horse riding.

TBE is a viral disease contracted via the bite of an infected tick and causes up to 13,000 cases every year in Europe and Russia. Two in every 100 TBE sufferers will die from the disease.

Check it out if you are heading to Europe this summer......
Ron

Re: Cyclists at risk of tick borne disease in Europe this su

Post by Ron »

Is the UK no longer in Europe?
It is odd considering the publicity given in this country to the tick danger, that the UK is not listed on the tickalert website. (unless I'm mistaken) This could give the impression to some that we are safe in the UK, not so according to this report......
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/ne ... 6733073.jp
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

What about Lyme's disease, another tick born disease that is present in the UK that you do not want to catch?
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Too late :cry:
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
viper

Post by viper »

A close friend of mine caught Lymes disease back in june of this year , he was realy ill with ,it is still affecting his hearing and site ,the first signs he had was being very tired ,then his face looked like he had a Stroke , He is now allowed to drive and on his way to recovery, not nice and very frightening for him .
saddie

TBE Disease in Europe this summer...

Post by saddie »

For anyone who loves outdoor sports and activities such as hiking, climbing, camping, cycling, mountain biking etc, check out the website Tickalert.org! It has the “TBE Travel Check” tool which helps travellers/backpackers to find out if they might at risk of Tick-borne Encephalitis because of where they are going and outdoor activities planned.

TBE is transmitted within minutes from the bite of an infected tick and causes an average of 13,000 cases needing hospital treatment in Europe and Russia every year. Up to 30% of patients suffer meningitis and in extreme cases it leads to encephalitis (brain swelling) and inflammation of the spinal cord.
jezer

Post by jezer »

Summer :?: Ah yes, I seem to remember the word but can't quite recall what it means :(
Power to the pedals
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

I'll bet that ticks don't demand a perfect summer ...
jezer

Post by jezer »

Some years ago I had a pair of black labradors, brothers from the same litter. On a Scottish holiday one of them kept getting ticks, but the other didn't. I could never understand why this was so. I didn't get any either, inspite of walking in the heather. The midges on the other hand.. :shock:
Power to the pedals
John-D

Post by John-D »

Ron wrote:Is the UK no longer in Europe?
It is odd considering the publicity given in this country to the tick danger, that the UK is not listed on the tickalert website. (unless I'm mistaken) This could give the impression to some that we are safe in the UK, not so according to this report......
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/ne ... 6733073.jp

It's clear (despite the web address) once you open the site that it is concerned solely with 'Tick Borne Encephalitis (TBE)' so it's really not surprising it makes no reference to Lyme Disease. If TBE had been recorded in the UK I'm sure it would have been included!