Urgent advice needed for saddle sores!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
ken_1969

Urgent advice needed for saddle sores!

Post by ken_1969 »

So my brother and I are off to Land's End next Friday to start our 14 day LEJOG tour.

I had a setback at the start of July - an accident with my bike rack wrecked my Brooks B17 saddle (bent one of the rails badly out of shape). I had an older Brooks Flyer which is the sprung version so I just switched to that thinking it would be fine - it's a bit heavier, but I figured with the suspension it would be a bit more forgiving over 900 miles.

Although I'd previously broken it in I hadn't been on it for well over a year. It felt fine until I did some long rides on it. Last weekend I had two long rides back to back - a 65 mile audax and then a 60 mile London To Cambridge charity ride - and towards the end of both rides I was getting quite sore on my butt.

Figured it was just me getting used used to the saddle again but then after a couple of days off the bike I was out again today for 20 miles and it was REALLY hurting - almost unbearable at one stage.

Investigated and I've got a red welt on my butt which is obviously where it's sore.

Never had saddle sores before - obviously can't afford to have this plague me next week so I need some urgent advice as to how to get rid of them fast and prevent them recurring over 900 miles in the saddle next week!

Help!
NUKe

Re: Urgent advice needed for saddle sores!

Post by NUKe »

Is the brooks tensioned correctly. you could be hitting the rails if its too loose
NUKe

Post by Vorpal »

For the cure, sudocrem might help. For the prevention... as the saddles are different, do you need to adjust the position or tilt a bit? Can you avoid pressure on the place where your problem occurred?

See your GP? You might have an ingrown hair or something that is the problem, rather than the saddle?

There are loads of threads about saddles, soreness and prevention on here. There may be some things you can try, but it's mainly trial & error stuff; no quick fixes.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ken_1969

Post by ken_1969 »

NUKe wrote:Is the brooks tensioned correctly. you could be hitting the rails if its too loose

That's a very good point - it was a pre-aged model, and it is now definitely showing signs of my sit-bone indentations deepening in the leather, which looks like it's time to tighten it a bit. That might be all I need - thanks NUKe had not considered that!

You need a special tool to adjust the tension on a Brooks saddle don't you? Anyone know where you get one?

Ken
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Wash with Hibiscrub, draw with magnesium sulphate, get a prescription for Lymecycline or similar antibiotic from the GP (emphasise the need to get this one settled fast and to any more occurring on a long ride).

If it's your first in that many miles you are (a) lucky not to suffer like some of us and (b) unlikely to get many more occurring.
kennycr

Post by kennycr »

I recently did a 14-day LEJOG on a Brooks B17 saddle that had previously done around 800 miles, so it was reasonably well broken in. By about day five, however, the saddle sores were fairly painful and were starting to detract from my overall enjoyment of the run. I hadn't used anything on them at that time, which may not have been a great idea in hindsight!

After day seven I was staying at a friend's house and she suggested I try some Sudocreme that she still had lying around from when her kids were young. She gave me a small tub to take with me and I can honestly say that after about two more days of applying it before and after the ride, I had barely any problems. By the time I I guess we are all different so it may not work for everyone, but I found Sudocreme to be a real life-saver.

Kenny
brother nathaneil

Post by brother nathaneil »

I did a 13 day JOGLE and applied Sudocreme everyday before setting off.
On day one and two it rained almost constantly and by day three I was REALLY sore.
I found that applying Sudocreme every 15-20 miles helped and although the sores didn't clear, it remained bearable for the final 10 days!!!
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome ~ Arthur Ashe

http://www.5blokes-end2end.weebly.com
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

By the time I got to JOG I had a couple of holes in my perineum like little craters. Hard and raised around the edge and soft and weepy in the middle. They hurt like hell on the bike but I beleive it was the sudocrem that kept infection at bay. They healed fine when I stopped cycling 80 miles every day!
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

By the time I finished there were three clicks every time I set off. Left foot, right foot & then saddle into the saddle shaped indentation.

I used sudocreme every day. Sores started to develop about Day 4, but thankfully just stayed sore and actually the early ones improved through the ride. Managed to get a whole range of new sores in alternative places by the end of the ride though I tended to use a couple of paracetemol to help take the edge off any discomfort as well. I know of friends who swear by Ibulieve gel.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I find that using a some sort of bum cream, Arsesos, Udderly smooth etc pre ride and Sudocreme post ride is the secret to joyful multi day riding. Can I also suggest to the OP that he get another B17 pronto. And clean shorts every day
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
ken_1969

Post by ken_1969 »

The Mechanic wrote:I find that using a some sort of bum cream, Arsesos, Udderly smooth etc pre ride and Sudocreme post ride is the secret to joyful multi day riding. Can I also suggest to the OP that he get another B17 pronto. And clean shorts every day

Fortunately my bro had a "spare" B17 that I'm borrowing which should reduce the rubbing, although it's not broken in so that might provide it's own source of discomfort. Taking it out for a brief test ride today to see how it feels.

I've also stocked up on Sudocreme and chamois butt'r and I've got some travel detergent so I can wash my shorts properly. I'll be meeting the missus half way through the ride and switching to completely fresh shorts for week two as well.

Hopefully that should do the job!
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Fingers crossed..or should that be buttocks?
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
cavasta

Post by cavasta »

+1 for Sudocreme. Just a small amount lightly rubbed around delicate/affected areas works for me. Always use it while on tour, never seem to have problems. Use it on daily commute (no showers at work).
ken_1969

Post by ken_1969 »

Made it through 900 miles, most of which with saddle sores, although I think the advice on here helped prevent them becoming a major issue.
I used sudacrem mixed with Chamois Butt'r for the rides, with Savlon antiseptic straight after showering in the evenings. I also washed my cycle shorts every night (at least the pad) to help prevent any infection.
They were painful, especially on the longer days in the saddle but I could generally get out of the saddle and adjust my position enough to get me through the day.
I also highly recommend a pain relief regime, mixing paracetamol and ibuprofen based products through the day - this helped not just the saddle pain but also muscle pain.
Thanks to everyone for their advice, hope this thread proves useful to others.
cavasta

Post by cavasta »

Well done! Glad to hear you survived. Saddle sores are no joke. The best thing to do now is take a complete rest from the bike, keep applying the antiseptic cream and wait for the sores to clear up and go away - which they will. Then you can get back to enjoying pain-free riding. As the adage goes: prevention is better than cure.