Finally a date set! 15th August

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Matthew Saunders

Finally a date set! 15th August

Post by Matthew Saunders »

Hello all,

This is my first post on here, been a bit of a quiet reader looking over everyone elses posts for some time now.

After many many set backs, I have finally got a date set for my first ever LEJOG. Unfortunately I will now be riding this on my own as my ride partner has had to pull out for various reasons. I aim to use the CTC Yha route as it fits best with timing and the fact I will be riding alone. I will be setting off from Lands End on the 15th August. I dont suppose theres anyone who will be riding at the same time? I think i've done enough training, regular rides in the week followed by the 'big' ride at the weekend, Living in North Wales gets you used to the hills. I'll be riding a Giant Defy road bike which will be converted to make it slightly more comfortable for everyday use. Is there anything you guys and girls would recommend not taking or taking? I'll just be taking a change of clothes, and a few spares. Thats about all ive planned but I know theres bound to be things I havent thought of.

In general, is there any advice you would give to a first timer? thanks in advance.

Matty
kennycr

Re: Finally a date set! 15th August

Post by kennycr »

Good luck.

Tips from my self-supported trip in June, staying at BnBs and with friends on the route:

1. Travel light. I only had a Carradice saddle bag and if it didn't fit in it didn't go. Everything was dry too, even in the heaviest of rain.

2. It's not a race. One day i did only 15 miles because the weather was terrible and the roads were dangerous.

3. Look after your backside from day 1, using Sudocreme or similar to keep sores at bay. I cottoned on to this on day 7.

4. Eat well, before, during and, especially, after each day's cycling. One night I decided I could survive without anything substantial until breakfast, The following day was the worst I've ever felt on a bike.

5. Sleep a lot. I averaged about 9-10 hours a night.

6. Make sure your bike has plenty of gears and don't be afraid to use them. I never walked up a single hill on the route, and I'm not exactly Lance Armstrong.

7. Use as many B roads as you can, although this might slow you down a bit (see 2 above). Some of the most enjoyable parts were very minor roads that I just happened to stumble upon but that fitted roughly into my route.

8. Never, ever run out of water. I didn't, but I have in the past and it ain't nice.

9. Never forget that you're doing it for enjoyment.

10. Don't take any risks that have even the slightest chance of spoiling your trip.

Have a great trip.

Kenny
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Matthew Saunders wrote:In general, is there any advice you would give to a first timer? thanks in advance.
Hi Matty, and welcome.

Advice is a difficult thing, mainly because we don't know how proficient a cyclist you are and if you've travelled far before.

However, to say to you what someone told me:

This chap was well prepared, he'd done 100miles back to back and was fit and ready. It never occurred to him that to ride a long way from home and not be back at home that evening was a bit frightening! When he sussed that bit, he rode a day away from home, then another, then took two days to get home again.

He then felt ready to do his LEJOG.

It's amazing to be so far from home that your only method of moving along is under your own steam and under your own volition. Not many people have been in that position.
Mick F. Cornwall
Kingswood Gas

Post by Kingswood Gas »

Good luck. I am starting on the 13th so am slightly ahead of you. hopefully doing it in 9 10 days so we may meet if things do not go to plan!

All the best!!
watchfire

Post by watchfire »

HI guys. Best of luck on your ride. Me and my partner are setting off on the 13th on our first long distance adventure! Best of luck with yours. Would anybody like to share a taxi from Wick to Inverness on the 25th? A full taxi would work out a lot cheaper.
Matthew Saunders

Post by Matthew Saunders »

Thanks for the replys! I set off for the train in the morning. Just starting to get the first little butterflys but nothing that I'm sure all of you haven't had before. I dont think I could have asked for better responses. Hopefully I'll get to bump into some of you along the way. Thanks again and I'll update you once I'm back.