Stinking washing machine !!!!!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ian Raleigh

Stinking washing machine !!!!!

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Well guys this could be one for the women bikers or even us men could find a cure :oops:

Our washing machine ''STINKS'' after a few days of not using it and the smell is terrible go knows how the smell builds
up or what is causing it and now we seem to spend more on cleaning products than actual washing powder !

We've tried running the machine on a boil wash with no clothes in it and instead of powder i've put thick bleach in it
but the smell is back after a day and even brought dish-washer cleaning products to no success.

Even putting slices of lemons in the drum and powder box, this didn't do nothing but it did leave the washing smelling of lemons.

i'm begining to think theres a dead rat in the pipes somewhere and even thought about getting a new machine just to get rid of the smell :oops:

The outside drains are clear and smell free so the smell isn't from there.

Anyone else had troubles with smelly washing machines and did anyone have a cure :|

Yours a wiffed off biker.

Ian.
GrahamNR17

Re: Stinking washing machine !!!!!

Post by GrahamNR17 »

If the waste is plumbed into the drainpipes from your sink, it is probably back-filling with manky washing up water etc. I cured mine by turning the spigot upwards.

If iut's plumbed into it's own seperate waste, then i have no idea :?
dodger

Post by dodger »

Presumably there is a trap in the pipe. If not, and if it's connected to the sewage system, you will get smell from that.
If there is a trap, maybe the water is not fully pumped out at the end of the cycle and stagnates in the base of the machine.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

We had it with our old machine. Its the bugs from the biological powder in the sump (according to our repairman). You need to do a 90 degree wash with a cup of bleach. If that doesn't work change your washing powder.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Do you keep the door closed when you aren't using it? Try leaving it open. If you have pets or small children, just rig a little latch hook to hold it open a couple of inches. Most of the bacteria that grow in washing machines & the like won't grow if it dries out. Switching to non-bio powder may help, as well.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

We have a problem from time to time too, though we rarely use biological powder. A hot wash usually seems to shift it in our case.
We do leave the door open between washes though.
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

You need to clean around the inside of the rubber door seal as a lot of gunge will accumulate over the years that will smell at times. Also wash any filters as they can get blocked and restrict the flow of water.
No jam doughnuts stored here overnight
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Ian this sort of problem usually comes from washing machines and dishwashers that have the waste water hose fixed to the kitchen sink drain.
The ideal way is to have a stand pipe that is as high as the powder draw. The hose is then put inside that, a lot are supplied with a plastic clip on the end of the hose that holds it in a U shape.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Some fair amount of interesting replies fella's. Thanks.

The bio' powder seems one cause of a smell build up, so i'll no-longer be using that type of powder and i've
also checked the rubber door seal which looked ok until i squashed it against the machine and horrible black
stinking sludge came out of the holes in the base of the seal, Wife nearly puked up when i told her to sniff this !!!.. :lol:

The drain pipe for the washer looks over engineered by the firm who fitted our kitchen units and the pipe is only
about halfway up the washing machine so i'll see if i can make a simple straight through route for the waste water.

Cheers.
Ian