togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Greybeard

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by Greybeard »

Of course, whilst you lot have been wasting time at work all day I've been patrolling the cycle path around Kielder, making sure it's free of footpads and vagabonds :roll: If it wasn't for my dedication and self sacrifice just imagine how dangerous it could be - I even gave the midges something to eat whilst I was there :?
The day sarted wel with the short ride from the sailing club to the dam
I then met a big chap who thought the 29er was rather tasty :shock:
Then just as you thought the day couldn't get any better -
The Kelly kettle came out and a brew of Tetleys Gaffers Special Blend was served.No shortage of Kelly fuel in a forest, eh? :wink:

And you thought I was out enjoying myself didn't you. After I'd done the 30 mile trip I then had to get my boat on the water and sail to a pub. It's tough being an explorer :D
Steve
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

on my 2nd week of commuting on my Phillips and really enjoying the rides , only problem so far is had to re tighten the togglechain side rear wheel nut up tonight as had loosened it self a bit .

got another Phillips awaiting work going to see if 27" wheels will fit frame first , to give it a more relaxed ride .
Grumpy Nurse

Post by Grumpy Nurse »

Hello folks.

I'm new round this part of the internet. I have a question. I'm building a bicycle hub outwards. I have in my greedy little paws rims, a frame and the new x-rd 5 ( w ) and the front x- fd sturmey archer hubs. My old man will teach me how to build wheels. He has even bought the spokes from a local bikeshop for me. He confused them to hell and back asking for 10 and 1/8 inch spokes.

The wheel building should be fun. He refused to teach me how to build wheels unless I used steel rims. He doesn't trust aluminium and reckons it aint strong enough. So I managed to find some 26 inch westwood steel rims on the internet.

But back to the question, do any of you people know where I can get a set of cranks and a chain wheel that I can use with a 5 speed sa hub. I'd prefer it to be fairly vintage looking but not fierce expensive.

Thanks.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

hello and welcome, grumpy.

we'd all like to see the pictures, sacondly, do you have a preference for cotters or square taper? what size chainwheel are you after - what size is your sprocket & tyres?

a wanted ad on this forum works wonders, and ebay always has some. but let us know specifically what you need, it'll probably be collecting dust in someone's garage
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Greybeard wrote:Of course, whilst you lot have been wasting time at work all day I've been patrolling the cycle path around Kielder

looks awful steve, i'm glad i've got a job and don't have to find diversions such as that :evil:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

hubgearfreak wrote:
Greybeard wrote:Of course, whilst you lot have been wasting time at work all day I've been patrolling the cycle path around Kielder

looks awful steve, i'm glad i've got a job and don't have to find diversions such as that :evil:

Looks quite similar to my trip around the Mendips (Chew Valley reservoir and Blagdon lake in particular) last Sunday.

(don't worry folks I'm back on the Pashley now) :D
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

But back to the question, do any of you people know where I can get a set of cranks and a chain wheel that I can use with a 5 speed sa hub. I'd prefer it to be fairly vintage looking but not fierce expensive.

Sturmey Archer make one I got mine from ebay about £25 I think.

S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
littleman

Post by littleman »

The Pashley Parabike was collected today. I owe a debt of gratitude to Jim for making me properly aware of 'em. It's the perfect hack bike for all weathers. The amazing part is the Brooks B67 is comfortable!!! Never thought I'd ever find a comfy Brooks, but I have. Amazed! The cork grips are rather fabulous too, and the only part I dislike is the chainguard and MTB brake levers. I treated it to a Carradice Pendle, which I think suits it just fine. it needs a support though, it hangs at a horrible angle! The five-speed Sturmey works in all the gears :wink:

Still surprised at how much it doesn't weigh. That frame has a lot of heavy bits hanging off, but it feels lighter than the Chiltern.

Hello all, and please excuse me pulling this quote up to the top of the board. My excuse is that I've done a little lurking around the board on the basis that I've recently ordered a Parabike myself. I'd been googling the net for any information like this as I'd ordered mine site unseen from a not particularly effervescent although reasonably straight talking cycle shop owner. I'm still waiting for my bicycle which frankly is running later than the delivery date promise - I think I may have got rather excited having bought into the whole "Pashley/Heritage/British built/One of a kind type of marketing and now feel a bit let down .............. that sounds a bit shallow and needy doesn't it?
Anyhoo........... I've taken the plunge here and registered [obviously] and frankly feel as though I may be throwing myself to the lions in as much as you guys all seem to be "proper" cyclists........... where as my endevours I'm guessing will be much more recreational - local tow-path and back street explorings. I had to be surgically removed from my childhood "Falcon" and haven't really ridden since so all advice readily and greedily received.
I was thinking of treating myself to the Carradice "roll pack" type saddle bag - any reason I should be talked out of that?
Seriously chaps - I'm a little fella, slightly overweight, and not particularly fit ............... so all opinion and suggestions will be happily accepted.

In conclusion -- Happy to make your respective aqauintances ........... and just go easy on me for a while at least huh!

Cheers for now.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

littleman wrote:........... and just go easy on me for a while at least huh!.

Well, ok then, but only for a little while, mind. But once we get properly acquainted, you will be subject of occasional ridicule, ribbing, and general p*** taking, just like everyone else, ok? There's no favouritism here :lol:

Well done on the Parabike. It's a fine local hack/ride to the shops/waft round the lanes/tow path/etc bike. Long distances become painful after 15 miles, in my experience. The Marathon Plus tyres are a bit like riding through treacle compared to most/many others, but their main aim is to be puncture-resistant, which they do well.

I'm not a "proper" cyclist by your definition either. Pleasure, leisure and utility use only. Cycle sport bores me to suicide, and I won't be seen dead in cycling clothes!

Hope you get the Parabike soon, and that you'll join in the fray here 8)

PS: Get the Carradice if it suits your purpose :wink:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Hi littleman, and welcome.

Yes one of the joys of dealing with Pashley is you're never quite sure how long something will take to arrive. I've bought two bikes from them. One took a week or two longer than I had hoped and one was a week or two sooner. I think it can depend whether they're in the middle of a large production run at the time you order something from them how soon you get it.

Graham, I don't know why you find the Pashley uncomfortable after 15 miles or so. Have you not replaced the saddle yet? This ride last year out to Chepstow and back was 72 miles in total for the day including riding out to the start and back from home.

I find on the Pashley I'm only a couple of mph slower than on the road bike, but a whole lot more comfortable. 8)

p.s. That's a Carradice "Pendle" saddlebag on the back there.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

littleman wrote: I'm a little fella, slightly overweight, and not particularly fit

You've just described me, only I'm more than slightly overweight and not altogether very little.

I'm about to throw my tuppence on the Parabike debate here, I expect scorn and derision.

In my ever so humble opinion, the only parabike worth buying folds in half, is dull green and was made by BSA in about 1943.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Roadstersrevenge wrote:
littleman wrote: I'm a little fella, slightly overweight, and not particularly fit

You've just described me, only I'm more than slightly overweight and not altogether very little.

I'm about to throw my tuppence on the Parabike debate here, I expect scorn and derision.

In my ever so humble opinion, the only parabike worth buying folds in half, is dull green and was made by BSA in about 1943.

You'll change your mind when you see one and ride it. Historically interesting, yes, but quickly and poorly made, dreadful to ride, and just plain nasty :wink:
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Historically interesting, yes, but quickly and poorly made, dreadful to ride, and just plain nasty :wink:

That's probably very true, Graham. A one size fits all, built to a price, truly disposable bike. There was little incentive/no need to make 'em to last (though they needed to be pretty robust) - I reckon, sadly, that they had little expectation of many 'customers' returning with them to complain :cry:
Littleman - welcome aboard. Have a look at the Caradice tool roll before you buy. They are very small, and as was pointed out to me earlier by the person who started this thread off, you can't get 6 bottles of real ale in a Barley :wink:

Steve
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

littleman wrote:I was thinking of treating myself to the Carradice "roll pack" type saddle bag - any reason I should be talked out of that?
Seriously chaps - I'm a little fella, slightly overweight, and not particularly fit ............... so all opinion and suggestions will be happily accepted.

i suppose i've two bits of advice.

get out on your bike on quiet lanes, city centre side roads, sustrans routes and bridlepaths. keep off A-roads. go gently and regularly. join some rides with your local ctc group.

secondly, get the big or biggest saddle bag there is, what's the point in a 7 litre thing that can't take any more than your lunchbox and a waterproof? on your way back from a ride you may need to buy beer, the sunday paper & a 2litre milk. eventually, if you hang around with us long enough you'll become a stove geek and need space for a kelly kettle or primus as well :wink:

as for athletisism, have a look at graham's site (http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/), and the FDQs 8)

finally, welcome & what county are you in?
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Roadstersrevenge wrote:

You'll change your mind when you see one and ride it. Historically interesting, yes, but quickly and poorly made, dreadful to ride, and just plain nasty :wink:

We all know I never ride any of my bikes, I just like to look at them.