Heaviest LEJOG'er?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
ken_1969

Heaviest LEJOG'er?

Post by ken_1969 »

Hi all,

5 weeks to go until my bro and I do LEJOG in August.

Despite 10 weeks of training I'm still over 18 stone 4 - what's the heaviest anyone has been when doing LEJOG/JOGLE?

Ken
LollyKat

Re: Heaviest LEJOG'er?

Post by LollyKat »

Pizza-man was 32 stone when he first decided to do Lejog....and was 27 stone when he finished it. Link.

He's now down to 20 stone and training for Paris-Brest-Paris.

In other words, you have no excuse! :D
chrisbrown12

Post by chrisbrown12 »

hey mate, just keep up with what your doing and keep the training. i was 17 stone when i started training and nothing worked until i only drank water, no snacking, cut down a huge amount on those carbs, concentrate on fish and vegitables and fruit obviously treat yourself everynow and then but not every day. im 151/2 stone and doing the JOGLE in august.

if your determined to get to the finishing point doesnt matter what size you are.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Just completed LEJOG at 20 stones. Go for it. Weight was not a problem. Next time I'm going to do it in summer :-)

If you want to read about it see

http://2011lejog.wordpress.com/
Pizza_man

Post by Pizza_man »

27 stones + full camping gear... :oops:

Not doing the Paris-Brest-Paris this year for a variety of reasons, but plan to do LEJOG in 5 day :shock: (setting off on 30th July). Plan to ride back at a slower pace, longer route covering the most extreme points in UK (north, west, east and south points), 2500 miles in 20 days (inc 3 days off the bike)....

Rode 385 miles this weekend, double coast to coast (Wales and Skegness) :D , wish could carry on riding today insead of sitting in an office. :(

Am still about 20 stones...
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Please don't take this the wrong way but, given your weight Pizza-man, either you are leading us a merry dance and this is a year long April fool or there is an olympic athlete in there trying to get out. Your exploits defy all physiological theory.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

I returned to cycling 12 months ago after a 15 year break from compitition and touring; and had put on 3 1/2 stone since packing in.
I ride 25 miles off road on saturday morning, 30 - 50 road miles Sunday and a further 30 - 50 miles Wednesday afternoon. Fat free diet ( the wife has gall stones), feeling fantastic, 2 inches off my waist ..... not lost an ounce in weight !!!.
As my daughter says " muscle is heavier than fat dad " .... bless her.
Still 6' 3" and 19 stone :( :( :(
PompeyJoe

Post by PompeyJoe »

This thread is making me soooo happy!!!!
(PompeyJoe, overweight and starting LEJOG in three weeks! :D )
ken_1969

Post by ken_1969 »

Thanks all, that makes me feel so much better! I have definitely found that just by upping my training I've gotten much stronger - I now cycle regularly on some local hilly routes with pretty much my full LEJOG kit plus about 10lbs of lead weight in my panniers to help build up my strength. I have been eating considerably lower carb than usual so still surprised to have not lost any weight, but I'm feeling pretty fit, so that's the main thing.

Less than three weeks to go now! EEk! :)
vernon

Post by vernon »

I did LEJOG and JOGLE weighing 24 stones.

I'm now a svelte 23 stones and have done Channel to the Med half a dozen coast to coasts, around 100 x 100km Audaxes, 10 x 200km Audaxes.

I'm off to Beaune in a week's time to cycle along the Eurovelo 6 route thorigh France, Sitzerland and Germany to Passau when this year's installment comes to an end.

The Pyrenees ans Alps can wait :D
ken_1969

Post by ken_1969 »

I have now finished my two week Lejog. Despite having spent a large proportion of my training on hill work, fully laden I still found cycling with so much extra weight incredibly hard. It was absolutely the worst aspect of my Lejog experience.

I was down to between 3-5mph on some sections of the tougher hills, and that just made the days so much longer and exacerbated all of the other problems - muscle soreness, saddle soreness and sore hands/wrists.

I gather reading this thread that some of you larger guys have managed to build up some superior cycling abilities in spite of your weight - can you
maybe share your experiences in terms of speed on hills? Have you cycled yourself to the point where the hills just don't slow you down? I think that's a good marker for larger people looking to do this in future, and something that's easy to determine.

I'd hate to see other people go through what I just did unprepared. I would personally not recommend attempting Lejog carrying this kind of extra weight - it's doable but certainly not enjoyable.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm no skinny chap, I'm nearly 13st, and I'm usually down to 3 or 4mph on the tougher hills. That speed is normal for fully loaded.
Mick F. Cornwall
vernon

Post by vernon »

ken_1969 wrote:I have now finished my two week Lejog. Despite having spent a large proportion of my training on hill work, fully laden I still found cycling with so much extra weight incredibly hard. It was absolutely the worst aspect of my Lejog experience.

I was down to between 3-5mph on some sections of the tougher hills, and that just made the days so much longer and exacerbated all of the other problems - muscle soreness, saddle soreness and sore hands/wrists.

I gather reading this thread that some of you larger guys have managed to build up some superior cycling abilities in spite of your weight - can you
maybe share your experiences in terms of speed on hills? Have you cycled yourself to the point where the hills just don't slow you down? I think that's a good marker for larger people looking to do this in future, and something that's easy to determine.

I'd hate to see other people go through what I just did unprepared. I would personally not recommend attempting Lejog carrying this kind of extra weight - it's doable but certainly not enjoyable.

Heavy and fast ascents are mutually exclusive. Hills slow everyone down. I still contend that LEJOG is more of a mental challenge than a physical one.
jollygman

Post by jollygman »

Hey yall

Just completed my LEJOG, 16 days cycling, 931 miles in total, i was just under 20 stones when i did it, i saw 1 other chap who was close to my weight setting off from JOG, no doubt it was tough, but not as tough as i had imagined, definately agree its mental as well, if you can find that something that keeps you going, the legs seem to follow. I mainly had my giving a big F U to all the doubters. If anyone is worried dont let it sonsume your thinking, just have a good reason and goal to head towards.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

jollygman wrote:Hey yall

Just completed my LEJOG, 16 days cycling, 931 miles in total, i was just under 20 stones when i did it, i saw 1 other chap who was close to my weight setting off from JOG, no doubt it was tough, but not as tough as i had imagined, definately agree its mental as well, if you can find that something that keeps you going, the legs seem to follow. I mainly had my giving a big F U to all the doubters. If anyone is worried dont let it sonsume your thinking, just have a good reason and goal to head towards.

Well done and well said
NUKe